PDA

View Full Version : Restarting Herceptin

tdonnelly
04-20-2008, 03:14 PM
I took a two month break from Herceptin due to extreme nausea and liver elevation. If blood tests are ok, will restart remaining Herceptin treatments tomorrow. Is there a nausea med that can be taken with infusion to prevent nausea. I was sick for over six weeks, my stomach became bloated and thyroid felt very full. Prior I had been able to tolerate ok. For me it felt like my body was rejecting the Herceptin. Is that possible?
Tamara
Invasive Ductal Carcinoma 10/2006

Bill
04-20-2008, 03:40 PM
I think it's called "Emend". I think that's fairly new in injectable form. "Aloxi" is often given as a premed for nausea. Sorry I can't help with your other questions, but I know someone here can. Thoughts and prayers for you, Bill

chicagoetc
04-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Compazine is standard for nausea...assuming it'd work for you. But I don't know if you'd take it with the infusion. [I take it for a day or two after the Herceptin.]

Also I don't know if it'd help the other symptoms.

Melanie

Becky
04-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Zofran is another good drug.

And yes - your body could be rejecting the Herceptin due to allergy or some other rare biochemical mechanism. It is a foreign non-self antibody.

tdonnelly
04-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Blood tests showed liver still elevated even with 2 months off Herceptin. Doctor not sure at this point what is causing elevation. I went ahead with treatment and am happy to report only 4 remaining. Afterwards she wants to repeat scans. Its so hard not knowing what is causing this. The nausea hit me hard again by the evening so am taking Prochlorperazine . Feels like chemo all over again. The meds keep it at a bearable level at least. Thank you for continued support.
Tamara
Invasive Ductal Carcinoma 10/2006

goops
04-22-2008, 04:15 PM
If your liver elevations are caused from the meds - Milk Thistle will help, it helped return my liver elevations to normal.