PDA

View Full Version : earthquake

juanita
04-18-2008, 03:14 AM
So who felt the earthquake in the midwest about 5:40 our time? I thought it was a tornado or something and my dog was freaked out. She kept whining and shaking even after it stopped.

StephN
04-19-2008, 12:24 PM
I HAVE felt an earthquakes here in the Seattle area a couple of times. Not fun!

April showers bring May flowers.
What does April SNOW bring??

While you are having the quaking we are getting record late snow. We had FOUR inches at our house yesterday/last night. Not to mention the larger than pea-sized hail that fell three times yesterday. Melting today, but trying to snow again right now ...

Had to move my pots with sprouting bulbs to shelter. And we have a big party tomorrow and can not use the patio and front deck as planned due to this record cold. It will be a tight squeeze!

Sheila
04-19-2008, 01:03 PM
I felt the earth move yesterday morning....not used to that in Illinois....it was early, 4:35 a.m....my husband was getting ready for work....it made me feel dizzy for a minute...1 was enough!

Colleens_Husband
05-19-2008, 08:50 AM
When Colleen and I were first married there was an earthquake that happened about three in the morning. It sounded like a freight train and really shook our house. We both woke up and Colleen said "My God! We're having an earthquake!"

I said, "Cool!"

She asked, "Shouldn't we do something like stand in a doorway?"

I said, "Go ahead if you want to, I'm going back to sleep."

She was incredulous, "How can you just go back to sleep after we just had an earthquake?

I said "Like this." and I rolled over and went back to sleep.

When I woke up half an hour later, Colleen was shaking me awake. She stayed up for half an hour just fuming at me for not taking an earthquake seriously. We talked for another hour and finally she saw a little humor in the situation. This meant I could go back to sleep.

Sometimes I can be such a male.

Bill
05-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Lee, you are hilarious!

Joe
05-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Surprisingly, I've lived in Southern California since August 1999 and have yet to feel an earthquake. Not that we didn't have any, I just never felt one.

Regards "love and Light"
Joe

Adriana Mangus
05-24-2008, 01:12 AM
I was once in a big earthquake in Mexico. It registered at 6.4 in the ritcher scale. I was terrified, did nothing but crawled under a big desk, my co-worker and today my best friend jumped the counter and ran all the way out of the building and onto the street. I will never forget seeing her doing the "Nadia Comanecci" ( Gold medallist), on the counter, but without the bars!!! Hilarious....

Kathy S in Tokyo
05-24-2008, 01:27 AM
We get quite afew earthquakes in Tokyo and I worry that my children are getting too used to them and a little numb concerning disaster prevention. They do jump under the table when we get vertical shaking but the horizontal rolling types don't warrant much more than turning on the TV to see the news and confirm their guesses on the scale of the tremors. "I think that was a 3." "Nah, it was barely a two!"

I was a little worried when I was first getting diagnosed more than three years ago because I was set up for my mammogram when we had some pretty big tremors. I imagined the building being evacuated while I was trapped between the lucite plates. The tremors continued while my doctor did the ultrasound exam and he quipped about the earthshaking while he squirted jelly on the device and went ahead with the exam.

Jackie07
05-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Just wanted to add a line about the Burma and China earthquakes recently. There were at least a quarter million lives lost in these two disasters combined.

StephN
05-24-2008, 10:39 AM
We just sent a donation to Mercy Corps for Myanmar. They are about the only relief agancy getting in there and are desperate for money.

I suppose the Red Cross has aid going in to China. I would hope!

ElaineM
05-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi,
It sounds like one to me !! We get them in Hawaii once in awhile and I got used to them when I lived in the Tohoku part of Japan where we got them every month or two. Jump under something next time. Kathy in Tokyo I had to laugh about the ultra sound jelly during a quake. I wouldn't be too happy if one happened during a mammo though. We are stuck. Good grief. What do we do and where do we go then? I was still in bed in a high rise building during the last one in Honolulu. I pulled covers, pillows and whatever I had handy on top of me to prevent books and other stuff flying across the room from knocking me out. Needless to say we had a very quiet day in Honolulu. Nothing was working. Very few people were going anywhere that day.

Kathy S in Tokyo
05-24-2008, 10:46 PM
The number of casualties in Burma from the cyclone and in China from the earthquake just keep increasing and the news is heartbreaking.

AlaskaAngel
05-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Regardless of affiliation, I believe that people and leaders from previous generations who could think "big" enough to accomplish the Berlin airlift, would have been able to help the people in Myanmar long before now -- perhaps because they were not mired in a quagmire like Iraq at the time...

When I was working in the remote parts of the Sierra Nevadas once, an earthquake happened. There was just me, my tent, and a lot of immense open granite and tall trees and boulders. Sort of like being there before human origins... no where to hide.

A.A.

ElaineM
05-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi,
Yes. The news from China and Burma is heartbreaking.
It is unfortunate that the government of Burma does not appear to want to help its peole. That is the news we are getting over here anyway. I think many people would want to send money or goods if there was a good way to do it. I read that some groups are using ordinary people with entrance visas to Burma to bring help to the people.
It would be good if people wherever they live can be taught what to do in case of emergency as part of their formal education or by their communities. I don't know about other places in the U. S. or the world, but educational information about what to do in case of various emergencies is usually printed in phone books here. It is also taught in schools and included in the media a several times a year.