PDA

View Full Version : cysts, harmless or not?

harrie
04-02-2008, 12:00 AM
I have a friend in her early 30s. Her mother and her mother's sister both died of breast cancer in their 40s. My friend has not been genetically tested for bc.
Since she was in her late 20s, she has been getting annual mammograms due to her family history. I realize mammograms are not as accurate in younger people due to the breast density.
This past mammogram showed something so it was followed up with an ultrasound. The radiologist said it just appears to be a cyst and will followup in 6 months.
How harmless is a cyst? I realize a cyst is a fluid filled sac, but can someone give me an opinion as to the certainty of being benign?
Thanks,
Maryanne

sarah
04-02-2008, 01:38 AM
Maryann,
I've had cysts that were benign and then I've had cysts that were surrounded by cancer.
I'd say, why not do the gene test, why not get second opinions from another top bc doctor and a radiologist and why not get retested earlier than 6 months.
I had a similar story. after my first bout with cancer I had a cyst - everyone thought it was cancer but when it was removed apparently it wasn't. got another cyst same spot, this time everyone said it's a cyst wait 6 months. i was too nervous and told them it was growing (after about 3 months) so they did the tests, they still thought only a cyst but after the surgery they discovered it (or around it) was cancer and it was now outside the breast and invasive.
However that said, when I was her age, I had lumpy breasts and no cancer at that time.
Has anyone thought of doing a biopsy?
Good luck to you and to her. Hope it's just a cyst and she and you can relax.
stay healthy and happy
sarah

Yorkiegirl
04-02-2008, 06:53 AM
HMM the word cyst. I know when I had my Mammo back in February 2005, I was asked to come back and have an Ultra Sound of the area. Rad Doctor said it looked like a cyst and probably wasn't anything and said if it would make me feel better I could see a surgeon, so I did, and guess what that cyst was my Cancer.

Not saying this what the situation is with your friend. Maybe she could have a needle biopsy of the area.

I as well have cancer in the family (my Mom) who passed away 1993 at only 58.

Paris
04-02-2008, 07:22 AM
I had dense "lumpy" breasts. I had my baseline at age 40 and had to go back for more views and ultrasound. I was diagnosed as having "benign simple cysts". There were several of these. Because my sister had been diagnosed with bc the year before I was told to consult with a surgeon for follow up only with regards to further screening. Well I waited six months to see surgeon and guess what - one of those "benign" cysts was cancerous. I can only imagine what the recommendation would have been if not for my sister's diagnosis. I was elated that I didn't have breast cancer. Boy, talk about shock to find out otherwise.

I don't mean to sound the alarm bell as there certainly are benign breast cysts but I would see a surgeon and get a more thorough examination.

Good luck

Jamie

Jean
04-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Maryanne,

When I was younger I had dense breasts and cysts, which my surgeon
at the time would aspirate via needle, thought being if they were a tumor
the needle aspiration would not withdraw any fluid. When the fluid
was wtihdrawn that was always tested for cancer cells. I have had
both biopsey and cyst. The other issue is that due to her age Cysts are
very common and rarely turn into cancers. But it is still important to determine that is in fact just a cyst.
She could be having cysts that appear before the start of her menstrual cycle, I would be able to feel
the lumpy difference from something that had to be checked. But those type of cysts would go away soon after my cycle, not 6 months. If it is a simple cyst the aspiration will drain off the fluid. If the lump is made up of breast cells, a tissue sample can be taken out with a needle and checked. This will help determine if there are atypcial hyperplasia, which is an increase in breast cells that have started to look different from normal cells. These atypical is associated with a slightly increased risk of developing bc ater on. Due to her family history -

Hopefully her cyst is harmless, but due to her family, I would have it checked and not wait 6 months.

All good wishes,
Jean

Bill
04-02-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm not a doctor, but like all of you, I've spent years talking to alot of them, and the ones I know would all say to have the needle biopsy done now, given her family history. In this day and age, that woman should not have to worry and fret for another six months wondering if that cyst is benign or not. Harriecanarie, get your friend to do the biopsy, the results will come back benign, and then she can get on with her life. Just my opinion, Wild Bill

harrie
04-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks a lot to all of you who replied to my thread. I appreciate the info. I will call my friend tonight. She is VERY special to me.....like a surragate daughter. Her mom died of BC when she was in high school. Coincidentally it was around the same time I was diagnosed with DCIS and of course survived. This was some yrs ago and we met maybe 5 yrs ago when she came to work at the office I am at and we hit it off immediately and became very close.

I have been encouraging her to be genetically tested so that she can have her MRI's for the optimum survelliance.

Aloha,
Maryanne