PDA

View Full Version : How to store your synthetic wig?

DonnaD
03-29-2008, 06:07 AM
I have been without my wig since July. It still sits on my shelf staring at me. I hope I never have to use it again and I want it out of sight. Just wondering how to store it? Do I find a box, slip it in a plastic bag. I would love to burn it but know that is not an option. I still remember how much it cost!!!!

Donna

Barbara H.
03-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Mine is still in the original box. It is ten years old and really wouldn't work for me if I need one again. I have had mets for the past four years, but so far have been able to have treatment without losing my hair.
Best regards,
Barbara H.

Becky
03-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi Donna

I washed my wig and let it completely dry. Then I wrapped it in acid free white tissue paper and put it in a shoe box (wrote "Wig" on the sides of it). Then I stuck the box in the top of my closet.

I think the key is to wash it so all your body oils are out of it - much like washing clothes before storing them away.

I am keeping my wig because I really liked it. I feel it is a good omen to keep it - much like keeping the baby crib (when you are sure you are done having babies). If you get rid of the crib, you're sure to get pregnant again. So, for me, the crib was an anti-fertility symbol and my wig is an anti-recurrence symbol.

caya
03-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks Becky for that information - I have my 2 wigs (one synthetic, one human hair) sitting on those styrofoam stands at the top of my closet. I will wash them, let them airdry and then store as you suggest.

I feel the same way -I want to hold onto them because for the same superstitious reasoning you have - I still have my baby stroller in my basement (my "baby" is 19 years old)... so I will keep the wigs as an anti-recurrence symbol.

all the best
caya

AlaskaAngel
03-29-2008, 11:06 AM
I think some of us are neither unrealistic pessimists or unrealistic optimists, but rather just plain practical about keeping things like wigs or ports. (A somewhat less exciting approach, I admit, but true.)

AlaskaAngel

Karen W
03-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Becky,

Thanks for the information. I need to wash my wig and store it, because like you, I think it is a good omen to keep it.

Karen

harrie
03-29-2008, 10:40 PM
I am keeping my human hair wig (see photo) on the styrofoam head with a towel over it. I reallly like my wig and wear it maybe once a month. I am considering keeping my hair short and getting another wig for a different look.
harriecanarie

Mary Jo
03-30-2008, 05:07 AM
I sure hope Becky is wrong and it is not a good omen to keep your wig because I just threw mine out. Only paid 28 bucks from Paula Young - hated it everyday I wore it - and hope and pray I never need another one.http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

dlaxague
03-30-2008, 06:23 AM
I paid about $30 for my wig, and like Marejo, I hated it. I don't like hats, either. The tightness gives me a headache. I never wore the wig except to try it on and rip it off, so I gave it to a chemo friend who loved it.

You can donate wigs to cancer organizations who give them to women who can't afford them.

Debbie Laxague

DonnaD
03-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks gals! I will wash it since I don't remember if I did that after the last time I wore it. A good omen, I like that Becky.

Bill
03-30-2008, 01:01 PM
I donated all of Nikki's wigs to the cancer center where she had chemo. They put the wigs on the styrofoam heads and anyone that needs one just takes it. I donated all but one. The one I'm keeping has a black and red Rasta dredlock look to it and one night I put it on and came dancing into the room, and Nikki and her sister died laughing, but then they said how good it looked on me, it made me look more relaxed, like some really cool laid-back guy. So, I kept that one just for camping hi-jinks.

Sherryg683
04-01-2008, 04:47 AM
Aggh wigs. I bought 6 of them in shades of blonde and brunette, paid a fortune for them. I must have been high when I bought some of them because they weren't me at all, the only use they have now is that my little girl and her friends enjoy playing dress up with them. The 2 that I did actually wear are turned inside out in their boxes, the colors are actually too light for me. I did not buy smart. The funny thing is that most of the time, I wore do rags. The wigs just itched so bad...sherryg683

Sheila
04-01-2008, 06:28 AM
Even though I have kind of the "bird feathers" hair growth right now, I am hanging on to my wig.....I rarely wore it, I also think they are not as comfy as a scarf or bandana...plus, I had that need to keep up the bad girl biker image....I do know however if you don't plan on keeping it, and don't plan on burning it, I believe the American Cancer Society takes donations for those who can't afford them.