PDA

View Full Version : Anybody seeing a licensed nutritionist?

weezie1053
03-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Okay, I completed my Herception treatment in Nov 07. Little by little, I am feeling more like a butterfly than slug now that I was able to color and foil my hair. Oh happy day! Anyway, my immune system is still hot to you know where. I recently kept asthmatic bronchitis for 5 friggin weeks. My well meaning friends and family think they have M.D. after their names and they are telling me what supplements to take, what to eat, and more often than not, what not to eat. I am seriously considering making an appointment with a bona fide nutritionist to hold my hand and pay for their advise to tell me what to eat, not to eat, and what supplements might give me more zip that has been zapped.

Have any of you (excused the southern slang) been to see a nutritionist? Was it beneficial? I'd love to hear some success stories and any advise. I had a guy who owns three nutritional stores give me some "Fuji" juice to increase my energy level, and it was like drinking motor oil.

All kidding aside, I am, however very serious about wanting to improve the quality of my health.

Louise

hutchibk
03-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Hi Louise - I sent you a PM with a link...

IRENE FROM TAMPA
03-25-2008, 04:56 AM
I did see a nutrionist several years ago and I did like going to him. He was very knowledgeable and studied everything about what chemos I was taking before giving me anything. When I first began with him, I was taking quite a few different things. I never did the juice thing. Very pricey and not really sure it works. It surely can not hurt but the pocket book was another issue.

I eventually weaned off of so many supplements because it was getting too expensive.(I always ok'd any I was on with my onc. first while on chemo)

I try to keep my immune system strong by eating sensibly (not always) but try.

But I do think if you choose a good nutritionist they can put you on the right track.

Good luck

BonnieR
03-25-2008, 07:54 AM
During treatment I saw a dietician who is on staff at my cancer center . She offered good advice at that time. I intend to see her again soon since my nutritional needs have changed (no more milkshakes to maintain my weight! lol!). I believe it was part of their comprehensive program. I dont think there was a charge. Or insurance covered it. Might your cancer center or hospital have something similar? I liked that it was affiliated with a medical facility. .

Bill
03-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Weezie, all I can add is what Bonnie said, Nicola's treatment center provided a nutritionist to their patients, maybe yours does, too. I think most people don't take advantage of that, and I just got to thinkin', after chemo. once a week and scans, and then meeting with your onc. to discuss results, "all of you" know the drill, when do you have time or feel like making yet another appointment with a nutritionist? Having said that, I think it's supremely important, but we never took advantage of that opportunity. Maybe the nutritionist/dietician could meet with you as you arrived for chemo., I don't know. With Nicola, as soon as they gave her the premeds, boom, she was out, and her treatments would be for 4-6 hours and then she was ready to go. We never had a break from treatment, and it just occured to me, that many of you wonderful warrior women have wondered what you will do with yourselves on those days when you would normally go to chemo., only your course of treatment is done. Many have suggested, myself included, "go to a spa, go to the park that day instead, go run through the woods naked, etc.", but maybe after you do all that, you could go meet with a nutritionist/dietician. We get into the habit of going to appointments regular as clockwork, and then when we don't have to go anymore, some of us don't know what to do with ourselves, but if you just go to the n/d instead, that might be a really good thing. Keep fighting the good fight, Bill

weezie1053
03-26-2008, 08:24 PM
I have emailed my Oncologist several times inquiring about a nutritionist at UVA where I am doing my followup appointments now that I have completed Herceptin. I think I will email his secretary with a copy to him asking them to schedule me an appointment in conjunction with my appointment with the Onc in June. UVA is 1 hr, 45 minutes from where I live, but I have been so happy with the medical team. I wanted to find somebody local, but I think I better stick with what's working...UVA.

Thank you all for your recommendations.

Louise

BonnieR
03-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Louise, maybe you can contact the nutritionist/dietician directly and schedule your appt to coincide with your oncology date. I was able to do it that way. Without a referral.As long as I was a patient of the facility. Let us know what you learn.
And, yes Bill, I have seen the dieticians consulting with patients during treatment.