PDA

View Full Version : Lymphoma

theresaw
03-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Hello Again,
It seems like everytime I am writing on here it is to get advise. Just an update, the pain in right breast has went away. Now I have a lump in my neck on the left side(same side as breast cancer). I had a ct scan and my onc had two options for me. 1. I can have it remove so they can biospy it, or 2. wait 6 weeks and get a pet scan. (what difference btwn pet scan and ct scan). My family and friends want me to have it removed just in case it is Lympnoma, and if not then what did it hurt. Me on the other hand am undecided. Does anyone know anything about this.
Thanks

Kim in DC
03-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Why are you thinking it is lymphoma? If it is anything bad, it's probably the breast cancer again. Six weeks is a long time to wait for a Pet Scan. Is that the only place that does it in your area? Is that the only one your insurance will cover? Maybe I'm spoiled because I live in a large metropolitan area but I make my own scan appointments. I call around and ask who has the next available appointment. A biopsy however, will give you the best answer. Which ever you decide, you need to know soon! If it is anything bad, you can act fast in treating it.

Kim

theresaw
03-14-2008, 12:36 PM
The reason I said lympnoma is because that is what my oncologist said, she didn't say I had it she just mentioned it sometimes occurs in the neck area, she also suggested the 6 week wait period I don't know why. However she didn't seem to concerned because my blood work came back goood, my ct scan did show my lymphnode enlarged so maybe that is why she suggest the pet scan...she also did say it would be breast cancer reacurrence but when nodes are enlarged in the neck it could be lymphnoma.

StephN
03-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi -
Not fun to be dealing with this!

By "blood work" do you mean the complete blood count? And does that include tumor markers? If your tumor marker has been checked, then it is wise to know that very often the tumor markers DO NOT WORK for lymph nodes. Tumor markers seem to be best to indicate progression in organs.

The CEA marker can follow nodes better than CA27-29. In my case CA27-29 did not move with development of my brain mets, but the CEA did rise.

There is also the HER2 serum test that has been effective for some like Kate in discovering small mets.

theresaw
03-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi StepN-
Yes I believe tumor marker where a part of it, however she just check white blood cell count, red blood cells. She checked something else I can't think of it..I know it starts with lh something. Sorry if I am being so vague about this, it just sometimes when you see your doctor and they tell you things you hear them but you don't hear them at the same time....she did not do a ca27-29.

StephN
03-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Can you get a copy of your lab results so you CAN keep track of markers and blood counts?

My nurse or doctor always gives me my copies.

The PET scan would show heightened activity (light up) in the node or other areas that would likely indicate fast growing cells such as cancer.

Try to have the PET a lot sooner than 6 weeks if you don't have any other blood work or test such as ultrasound.

There should be specific tests that would show the difference between a breast cancer met and lymphoma, which is an entirely different disease.

Good luck, Theresa