http://www.cancer.gov:80/newscenter/benchmarks-vol7-issue3/page1

Regards
Joe

hutchibk
03-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks Joe - That's a great link!

jones7676
03-19-2008, 07:47 AM
My friend at the NIH had told me about this clinical trial running but did not provide all the info. Thanks for the informative link.

Jackie07
03-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Great article, thanks.

chicagoetc
04-05-2008, 12:19 PM
I read the article and ran into the phrase "About one-third of women with HER2 breast cancer develop brain metastases. " Googling for other articles/research seemed to associate ER/PR- HER2+ with the same (so that perhaps ER/PR- negative status is what correlates with the metastases). It was sobering. Will ask my nurse/doctor when I see them next. Research [reported late 2007 and in 2008] seems to indicate that "triple negative" and "ER/PR- HER2" BC's have not as good prognosis. I know I could have this totally wrong and could have misread what I saw. Interestingly enough when I look at the signatures listed on this site...there seems to be some correlation between hormonal status and metastases. [Not statistically valid of course.] If someone knows different I would be glad to hear. Glad though that if this happens something like Tykerb is available. [Not to mention the encouragement found here.]

Melanie

Jackie07
04-05-2008, 02:36 PM
It is scarry. And that's why we are here try to brainstorm what to do. I found similar data from the following article: "Breast cancer subtypes and survival in patients with brain metastases"Breast Cancer Res. (javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'Breast Cancer Res.');) 2008 Feb 28;10(1):R20. Remember though, the data is from August 2001 and April 2006. In the science of cancer treatment, two years is a very, very long time. The odds are much, much better for us now.

chicagoetc
04-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't want to be scared. Just aware and corrected if wrong. We aren't statistics so each one of can only face what comes our way. At least that's what my head tells me. Though I admit I'm worried. And you're right. These say nothing about current progress like Tykerb that are not yet out there long enough to predict what will happen over the longer haul. Still it's sobering.

[Then again there are women on this support board who have gone through more than I can imagine and are still out there fighting/living...e.g. Christina and many more. I am inspired and encouraged.]

For more and recent info see:

http://www.breastcancersource.com/breastCancerSourceHCP/6096_31638__.aspx?mid=6

and

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/SABCSMeeting/tb/7721

And, Jackie, I assume you're right. The research reflected here seems to be retrospective and not necessarily predictive.

Melanie

PS: [Added two hours later]. Actually I think I'm jumping the gun here. Retrospective studies on BC with metatases to the brain may indicate a higher incidence for individuals who are ER/PR negative. But that's different than studies that follow the development from the other end...i.e. following HER2+ and HER2- and seeing what percent develop metasteses to the brain and what the break down is re hormone status. It looks to me like studies like this to date have not differentiated based on hormone status. Maybe, and maybe even probably, there is a different outcome based on hormone status...but we won't know for sure until we see a study that is prospective and not retrospective. If someone has different data I'd be glad to hear it.

Joe...hope we didn't mess up your thread.

Unregistered
05-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks for that article! Gwyn

ElaineM
05-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the article. I am always curious.