PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

nancy dip
03-12-2008, 08:55 AM
I hate to moan, but one thing I really miss is alcohol!

I do the EVOO, fish oil, healthy diet thing but I really miss having a glass of wine--In fact, I do have some but feel incredibly guilty!! Wine is the only alcohol that I consume and before diagnosis, I usually drank Fri, Sat and Sun.

How many of you have given up alcohol completely and those who have not, how much do you consume in a week and how much do you feel it increases chances of a recurrence?

Cheers, Nancy

Mary Jo
03-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi Nancy,

During chemo and herceptin I drank no alcohol. When treatment was over I did and do drink an occasional "Miller" (I don't like wine) beer and enjoy it completely. In the summer time I will have a few a week and during the winter time not that much.

I understand that "guilt" mentality, as I think we all go through it from time to time, but I think that we have to enjoy this life we're given also. If that means sweet treats - a little alcohol or whatever - I say go for it.

Moderation is the key with everything.

Cheers back at ya sister.....

Mary Jo

Kat
03-12-2008, 09:32 AM
hI NANCY! YOUR SITUTAION SOUNDS JUST LIKE MINE IN THAT i WAS DIAGNOSED JUST 6 MONTHS AFTER HAVING A CLEAN MAMMOGRAM. I'D NEVER EVER EVEN MISSED A MAMMOGRAM, BUT IT SURE MISSED ME! MY TUMOR WAS 1.7 CM, AND A 1 CM TUMOR IN THE FIRST LYMPH NODE, BUT ALL OTHER NODES CLEAR. THANK GOD! I FINISHED ALL TREATMENT BY 12/06, AND AM STILL CANCER FREE.
I DID NOT HAVE ALCOHOL DURING TREATMENT, BUT SINCE TREATMENT I CONTINUE TO ENJOY WINE IN MODERATION...IT IS A QUALITY OF LIFE THING FOR ME TO BE ABLE TO POUR A GLASS OF WINE AND STROLL THE GARDEN W/MY HUSBAND. I TAKE FOLIC ACID WHICH I'VE READ MITIGATES THE EFFECT OF THE ALCOHOL. RIGHT OR WRONG, I TRY TO EAT ESPECIALLY WELL, EXERCISE, SLEEP, REMOVE STRESS, TAKE MY VITAMINS, TRUST IN GOD, COME WHAT MAY. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU... LIFE GOES ON.

Hopeful
03-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Nancy,

I also enjoy wine, and it is a regular component of my diet. All of my docs (internist, onc, rads onc, surgeon) were told about it at my initial visit, and none have ever suggested a change. I did add a modest folic acid supplement to my diet after dx.

Hopeful

Colleens_Husband
03-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Colleen didn't drink any alcohol since her diagnosis. Not only do you have to worry about the chemical effects of alcohol and chemotherapy but I worry about the psychological depressing effects of alcohol during a time in her life when she has every reason to be depressed anyway. I have been supporting her by not drinking myself.

There are several non-alcoholic beers that are really pretty good, including Kaliber, St Pauli's N.A., and Haake Becks. Colleen says the Kaliber is nasty with chemotherapy because she already has a metallic taste in her mouth and the Kaliber has a distinctive taste that is slightly metallic.

I would stay away from Sharps and O'Douls. They should only be used for cleaning gunk off automatic transmission parts.

There are several non-alcoholic wines, as well. Some of them are indistinguishable from real wine.

I guess the point is that you can still pamper yourself and treat yourself, while maintaining healthy practices.

Lee

Colleen007
03-12-2008, 11:49 AM
I was diagnosed at Stage 4, so for me, it is a quality of life thing. I enjoy beer and wine on occasion (always have and have no plans to change it). As Mary Jo pointed out, just drink in moderation (and don't feel guilty about it...maybe that's why drinking is a "guilty pleasure"). Enjoy!

Patb
03-12-2008, 03:43 PM
I will toast all of you tonight with a glass of wine. My onc. said ok and of
course in moderation. I have made so many sacrifices to this thing, I think one small wine is ok.
patb

Ruth
03-12-2008, 05:13 PM
I gave up drinking anything during treatment as I gave up lots of stuff...dairy, sugar etc but now....well, can't say that I have. I have an occassional glass of wine with dinner on the weekend if we go out to restaurant. I've had a daiquiri by the pool or a lemon drop (they are so yummy) when it is very hot in the summer. I think moderation is the key. A little won't hurt but a daily dose of anything alcoholic in my opinion is not good for anyone. Especially the ladies that are ER/PR+. We do give up so much already and life is for the living and enjoying!

Hugs ~ Ruth

tricia keegan
03-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Okay I'm going to be truthful and very naughty when I say I did'nt give up wine. I drink maybe twice a week over dinner which amounts to about two bottles of wine a week. Having said that I have'nt yet given up smoking either but I really want to and will try again soon. I honestly don't worry about the amount of wine as opposed to my smoking though of doing me much harm. (I hope)! I wish I was better.....

mimiflower07
03-13-2008, 08:18 AM
i love wonderful red wine from all the different countries and well i like to think i'm studing!! i will not give up my wine...all in moderation.

here's a crazy question why is alcohol worse for er pr ++ women, thought thats why we had tamoxifen to help?

suzanne

Vic
03-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Hello Lovely Women,

I enjoyed reading your messages, because I go through the same dilemma AFTER I have had a couple of glasses of champagne, whether it's on the weekend or with dinner twice a week. My husband is a "bubblehead" and buys it, so when I see a beautiful bottle open, it's difficult some evenings to opt for my typical Pellegrino or Pellegrino-Grape Juice mix.

So, the question always looms as to whether to drink or not and, if so, how often. I can tell you that I do pop a folic acid tablet (800 mcg.) when I do and sometimes I'll take milk thistle on occasion.

I know I need to take responsibility for myself and my health, so the decision is always mine. There are times I won't have any and then there are times when it just feels nice to enjoy a glass of wine or champagne. Still, the anxiety about drinking and alcohol and breast cancer does come up at night after I've imbibed.

Hmmm, what to do this weekend when we're in Sonoma celebrating my Dad's 80th birthday. Better pack some folic acid.

Be well and thanks for addressing this subject.

Vicki Z.
So.Cal.

dlaxague
03-13-2008, 07:28 PM
I can't access the full text - maybe someone else can?

ABSTRACT: Interactions between intakes of alcohol and postmenopausal hormones on risk of breast cancer
[International Journal of Cancer; Subscribe; Sample]
Alcohol and postmenopausal hormone use are well-established modifiable risk factors for breast cancer. Alcohol may decrease the metabolic clearance of estradiol, whereby the risk of breast cancer associated with hormone use may depend on blood alcohol levels. The objective is to determine whether alcohol interacts with hormone use on risk of breast cancer. The 5,035 postmenopausal women who participated in the Copenhagen City Heart Study were asked about their alcohol intake and hormone use at baseline in 1981-1983 and were followed until 2002 in the Danish cancer registry, with <0.1% loss to follow-up. Proportional hazard models were used to analyze data. During follow-up, 267 women developed breast cancer. Alcohol consumption was associated with a small increased risk of breast cancer (hazard ratio = 1.11 per drink/day, 95% CI: 0.99-1.25). Women who used hormones also had a higher risk of breast cancer (HR = 2.00, 95% CI: 1.52-2.61) compared to nonhormone users. We found an interaction between these 2 factors; those who had an intake of more than 2 drinks per day and took hormones had a risk of 4.74 (95% CI: 2.61-8.59) for breast cancer compared to abstainers who did not use hormones. Alcohol was not associated with breast cancer among women who did not use hormones (HR = 0.98 per drink/day, 95% CI: 0.82-1.78). In conclusion, the interaction between alcohol and hormone use should, if confirmed in other studies, have an impact both on the prescription of hormones and on sensible drinking limits for postmenopausal women.

Becky
03-14-2008, 05:41 PM
I drink a couple of glasses of wine on weekend nights. If I go out to dinner, I will have a cocktail too. Didn't do anything during chemo because I felt my liver was busy enough as it was but on herceptin alone, I drank.

Carol Carlson
03-14-2008, 06:34 PM
I was diagnosed in early March of '04. I did not have any alcohol after surgeries , chemo and rads. essentionally the entire year. Probably because the simple mention of alcohol turned my stomach. About 2-3 months after treatment, I had a glass of wine and it actually tasted good..
Since then I usually have a glass or 2 if we go out to dinner or if I get together with friends. I actualy asked my oncologist about it and she said I really didn't consume enough to be a concern and basically said, " The amonut of wine that you drink will not likely increase your chances of recurrace and did not seem at all concerned, and PCP is not at all concerned. So taking their lead, I do have a occasional glass or 2 of wine
on an occassional basis and don't really worry about it.
It's supposed to be so good for cardio-vascular status, depending on what article you read, I feel a little the same about breast cancer.
At age 67, I'm not going to fret about it. I'm a 4 year survivor and plan to be around a very long time . ( and I actually have a Hershey's candy bar with Almonds on occasion ) tsk. tsk
As someone postd previously, moderation is the key. AND I laugh more when I have wine which soooo healthly.
And that's my stand.
Carol

Bev
03-14-2008, 09:18 PM
http://www.cancerpage.com/news/article.asp?id=11974
If this link takes, I think it might have more. My doc's only restrictions were not the day before or day of chemo. During chemo, alcohol wasn't terribly appetizing. It seems to me the studies aren't conclusive, so I still drink beer. I'm really guessing here, but it would seem that AI's would be more effective in mopping up excess estrogen created by alcohol consumption than tamoxifen, which would only matter if you're ER+.

I think this is another one of those you have to weigh and decide. I've decided not to let it worry me. BB

Kim in CA
03-15-2008, 09:16 AM
I hate to admit this, but one of the high lights of my trip to Seattle each month, for my Her2 vaccine, was a margarita at the Sea Tac airport while waiting for our flight home. They have the Best margaritas I have ever tasted!

I never drank while on chemo, and don't drink on the days I get my Herceptin, but have an occasional glass of wine or ale when it suits me.

I also most definitely have an ice cold Corona after one of my endurance rides. It is a tradition that my riding girl friends and I take pretty seriously!

Hoping I'm not sounding too much like a lush! Kim

PS I never drink and ride at the same time!

nancy dip
03-15-2008, 10:43 AM
for all the replies. It's Saturday 5.30pm here in Glasgow and I'll raise a guilt free glass to you all tonight! (Is it a side effect of this disease to need constant reassurance?!?) Nancy