PDA

View Full Version : Upper arm pain 3 yrs after surgery...

mts
03-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Goddesses of Knowledge:
<O:p
Well -here I am 3 yrs after lumpectomy plus re-excision with only sentinel nodes removed. My arm was sore only for a couple of months after the surgery and I have had no problem since -until I washed my car !<O:p
My upper arm has been bothering me for a couple of weeks (cannot push the garage door up nor push my body upward with that arm) -I have my regularly scheduled appt with the onc in another week so I will get his opinion.<O:p
In the meantime, is this perhaps just a 'sprained, overworked muscle' or can it be lymphedema ? I have read where lymphedema can manifest itself long (even years) after surgery.
I probably won't know for sure until it is checked out, but this board always has a quick answer or something for me to consider.<O:p
Thank you !

Maria

Hazel Joyce
03-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Hi, Maria. I was fine until 10 months after my lumpectomy. I washed all the windows of my house with a squeegee. Diagnosis: small rotator cuff tear.

I guess I'll ask my husband to do the windows next time!

Good luck! Keep us posted!

PinkGirl
03-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi MTS

I try not to use my right arm for anything
too strenuous. I don't have the pain I had
immediately after surgery, but I don't think
of that arm as being "normal".

With lymphedema there would be some swelling
or at least a "puffy" look to your arm or hand or
both.

It sounds like you overworked a lazy muscle. I'm
glad you're seeing your onc. - we're supposed to
always get these aches and pains checked out.

Good luck with all of this.

DonnaD
03-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi Maria,
I have heard lymphedemia can occur at anytime. But I think you would have swelling as Pink Girl stated. It would guess it is a muscular thing. Good to get it checked out next week.

My left arm is extremely sensitive and I try to avoid lifting anything heavy. Hard to do sometimes, like holding your new grandson.

Let us know what the doc says. Good luck!
Donna