PDA

View Full Version : Acetaminophen/Tylenol

Bill
02-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Hello All. Maybe this topic has been discussed here before, but I'm fairly new here, so I don't know. I wanted to post this on the newcomer's site, but I saw that I would be breaking the rules. I've never broken a rule, or a law, or raised my voice in anger in my life, so I didn't want to start now. To the point, many narcotics/pain-killers contain acetaminophen/Tylenol, which the liver has a very difficult time processing. My wife's onc. felt that acetaminophen should be taken off of the market. It's not always apparent which drugs are supplemented with ace./ Tylenol. Some drugs that contain ace.-Lortab, Vicodin, Zydone, Percocet, Roxicet, and most narcotics with the suffix "cet". Always check with your dr. and pharmacist regarding this. Have your onc. prescribe something with no ace. in it. Straight Hydrocodone or Oxycodone, as necessary, and then you can always supplement it with Ibuprofin for inflammation, as needed. I would like some of the "techies" on the site to comment here, please, and voice their opinions. Bill

chrisy
02-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Interesting post, Bill, and I'm glad you are continuing stay on the straight and narrow! Tylenol is definitely tough on the liver, and if overdosed can cause liver failure. Ibuprofin is not benign, though - it also can be tough on the liver. My husband who is so healthy it makes ME sick had an elevated AST once and his doctor felt it was the ibuprofin which he takes for knee pain from running too much. Best to read all the fine print then be judicious with you take. And definitely check with the experts if you're using any serious pain meds!

Bill
02-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Hey Chrisy! Thanks for keeping me in line. I guess I shouldn't recommend anything without checking first. I hope you're doing well. Been thinking about you. Love, Bill