PDA

View Full Version : call in help lines

HavahJ
02-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Are there any breast cancer hotlines where you can call at anytime and talk to a professional or someone who really knows something, not just support? Thanks HavahJ

Chelee
02-02-2008, 03:30 PM
HavahJ, You know...that's a REALLY good question? I'd like to know the answer to that one too. It sure would be nice...I've never been able to find anyone to talk to about my more serious medical questions verses just the emotional support thats available. I will be looking forward to any replies to you get.

Chelee

CLTann
02-02-2008, 04:15 PM
I am sure you are fully aware that your doctors are the primary key persons you should direct your questions to. Having said that, I know it is a farce. Very, very few doctors would even answer your recorded messages. People with sound medical knowledge will not give you any professional opinions because they can be sued for malpractice. Non medics are forther removed from the qualified group to advise.

You come to a forum that probably is the best overall answer to your need. This group has many people with sound judgement and useful data and information. I felt lucky to know this important source of info and the people who can comfort so many of us.

If you present your case clearly and ask any specific questions, chances are that someone with knowledge will answer you within 24 hours. I found most of the replies are well thought of, and most times as good as the treating doctors.

Becca
02-02-2008, 04:21 PM
HavahJ, years ago I tried Cancer Care and I thought that organization helped me. Not sure if this is what you are thinking of. You can google it, or try this link:

http://www.cancercare.org/get_help/pwc.php

What about the Resources on the Homepage here? I'm not sure how any professional could discuss anything really indepth over the phone without all pertinent health history, etc. Yet it would be handy to kinda get a second opinion on treatment without all the hassle involved of seeing another oncologist.

chicagoetc
02-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Re Ann: Not always the case. In case of serious symptoms, I can call my doctor (or some doctor covering) anytime 24 hours. My oncologist works closely with a "collaborative nurse" who works closely with the doctor and tends to know a lot. Any message left for her during work hours typically is responded to the same day. Maybe I am just fortunate (it's not a farce).

All this said, it's not the same as a 24 hour professional who is immediately available to answer any question you might have. But it has worked for me.

[Actually I'm probably just fortunate...I don't know what I'd do if I lived where access to doctors was more difficult. If you don't have that...that would be frustrating indeed.]

Melanie

Sheila
02-02-2008, 05:55 PM
I guess I am really lucky, I can call my oncologist anytime, and receive a call back the same day. Thats why I go so far to see her

What about the American Cancer Society fopr general questions.
This would be a start. but I find this site to be the best for any questions I may have...there is a tremendous amout of knowledge in this group!!!

Mary Jo
02-02-2008, 06:17 PM
I too was going to say that possibly The American Cancer Society can direct you in some way. Also, I agree with what the others have said about this site. I find if I have a question or need the people here measure up to the ask all the time.

I hope you can find what you are searching for Jan.

Prayers for you,

Mary Jo

Chelee
02-02-2008, 08:33 PM
That is a major problem...I don't know who *could* discuss anything to serious about any of your medical problems without fear of being sued as already mentioned. I can call the "Nurse advice line" at my hospital for questions..but even then they will only tell you so much. They too have to be careful. They always refer you back to your doctor.

My insurance company just started something new a while ago which gives each patient with a serious illness their own personal nurse to talk to & stay in touch with. These are registered nurses so it actually is a nice program...I just wish they had started this a LONG time ago.

This board by far has been the most help to me. HavahJ I think the one thing you might be missing is actually talking to a real person on the phone verse's posting? I know many times I wished I could of just picked up the phone and talked to someone about my questions or problem that had the medical experience to discuss these things. But I really don't think there is anything out there like it just for legal reasons alone. I wish there were though.

Chelee

Sherryg683
02-02-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't know about calling someone. But John Hopkins has an "Ask and Expert" question and answer board on the internet where you can post a question and a Doctor will answer it. I have done this several times and usually had an answer within a day or two. It's not like talking to someone in person but I have found it helpful. Here's the link..sherryg
http://www.hopkinsbreastcenter.org/services/ask_expert/

BonnieR
02-03-2008, 12:55 AM
When I was newly diagnosed I called the American Cancer Society several times. They have a "live" person taking calls. When my questions were more specific, they took the information and had someone phone me back. . They also do follow up calls. I remember that there was another group that is run by volunteers. You give them your information and someone with a similar diagnosis gets in touch...I cannot find the brochure for it at the moment. I will try again tomorrow. It was a non-profit of some sort. Very kind and helpful. I was able to talk with a survivor who gave me alot of suggestions and hope. Just like HERE!!!