PDA

View Full Version : splits in finger ends?

debski
02-01-2008, 02:01 PM
I know it's a small price to pay but they are surprisingly inconvenient and painful.

Anyone else got them?

Gerri
02-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Yes, yes, yes. I'm about 10 months out of Herceptin and STILL get them occaissonally. They bleed and hurt like crazy! Fortunately they heal over in a few days - until the next time. Very annoying, but like you said worth it in the long run.

Brenda_D
02-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Do you mean at the sides of your fingertips, where the nail and flesh meet? I get those quite a lot now. Never did before, and yes, they hurt.

Gerri
02-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Yep, they split at the sides. I have this weird ointment that I bought several years ago - "Beaver Balm", it comes in a tin - and I put it on them at night. This seems to help the cracks heal faster.

harrie
02-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I found tea tree oil to be very beneficial.

R.B.
02-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Cracked heels and fingers is cited by some a possible indication of a fat imbalance. Michael A Schmidt - Smart Fats

Please discuss dietary change with your medical advisor.

I have been asking for a long time if herceptin intervenes in fat pathways. Many of the side effects cited could suggest that is a possibility.

This thread might be of interest.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24410&highlight=greek+diet

doh2pa
02-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Yes, they are a pain, aren't they, especially worse in the cold weather. I found keeping them covered with those special finger band aids helped them to heal faster.

BethC
02-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Yes, I get them every winter. They are really annoying and painful for such a small thing. The year my twins were born was the worst - from all the hand washing, etc. Anyway, the thing that helps me is to blob on the neosporin and cover it with a band aid for a few days. Also, I try to keep my hands out of the water unnecessarily (washing pans, etc.) I hope you find some relief!!

Jean
02-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Oh Yes,
they hurt and are painful, it seems that once open you hit your finger against everything....oooch...

Found the following and it helped:

1. Wear the best rubber gloves to protect your hands from water when washing dishes, etc. Keep your hands out of water.

2. Now this was a surprise: Use Balmex on hands and fill in the cracks with Balmex especially at night, so the cream has hours to heal. This is a
zinc oxide diaper rash cream, with Aloe and vit. e. Works Great...can be purchased in any CVS store.

Kind Regards,
Jean
PS Also great for plain old red winter hands.

hutchibk
02-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the Balmex tip, Jean! I need it, I have two paper cuts on fingertips that won't heal due to Tykerb/Xeloda. I will try that tomorrow!

mabrooks
02-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Fingers sore and cracked and my nails are broken below the skin line with ridges and splits. Will try the Balmex, thanks.

debski
02-07-2008, 09:56 AM
well I know it sounds mean but I 'm glad it's not just me!

Yeah they split at the edges of the nails at the tip of the finger-even if I just hit them lightly against something.

Fat metabolism? Interesting one-I have been on a very healthy diet since diagnosis-so my body should be able to cope unless,as you say there is some metabolic interference.

I have considered sticking superglue on the cracks!!!!!!!!!!!! Not been brave enough yet though.

Mary Jeanne Phillips
07-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Humecta pd is the best prescription for all the symptoms of nail beds and finger splits. It is 41% urea. May have to have a prescription but after using everything a friend with the side effect from Tykerb has found that as an answer.

Lani
07-19-2008, 08:55 AM
(my)NOTE--THOSE WHO ARE HER2+ER+ who are trying to avoid parabans may not realize that there are both methyl and
propylparabens in this cream

NEW! BALMEX® with ActiveGuard™

New Balmex® with patented ActivGuard™ formula works on contact in two ways:
1. Clinically proven to reduce redness in ONE diaper
change.
2. New ActivGuard protection to neutralize irritants in
dirty diapers.
Contains doctor-recommended zinc oxide plus three soothing botanicals and skin nourishing vitamins B5 and E to help soothe and treat diaper rash, while moisturizing and nourishing baby's irritated skin.
Provides a protective barrier against wetness and irritants to help prevent rashes from getting worse.
Goes on smooth, wipes off easily and has a pleasant, fresh scent.
How to use:
Change wet and soiled diapers promptly. Clean the diaper area, and allow skin to dry. Apply BALMEX® Zinc Oxide Diaper Rash Cream liberally as often as necessary, with each diaper change, and especially before bed or anytime when exposure to wet diapers may be prolonged.

Warnings:
For external use only
When using this product avoid contact with eyes.
Stop use and ask a doctor if condition worsens or does not improve within 7 days.
Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
Ingredients:
ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Zinc Oxide (11.3%)

ALSO CONTAINS: beeswax, benzoic acid, dimethicone, fragrance, glycine soja (soybean) oil, magnesium aspartate, methylparaben, microcrystalline wax, mineral oil, oenothera biennis (evening primrose) seed extract, olea europaea (olive) leaf extract, panthenol, potassium aspartate, potassium hydroxide, propylene glycol, propylparaben, sarcosine, sodium cocoyl amino acids, sorbitan sesquioleate, synthetic beeswax, tocopherol, water

SoCalGal
07-19-2008, 10:22 AM
My nails are a mess - I have to keep them polished every 3 days and they still break/peel/crack.

What I for sure realized is that when I cut them very short I get these cracks on the sides of my thumbs. If I keep the nail slightly long (and I mean slight since they don't really grow much) the cracks don't appear. Also - wearing gloves for almost everything is a MUST. Hands get tender from the most stupid tasks.

Nails are so soft I can't put on a necklace - can't pull the spring hinge back on the clasp - it just slices the nail. Not complaining - just saying as an example of how weak my nails are.

Perhaps I need a jewelry assistant?

I take this as a sign that the meds are working if they are producing side effects.

I don't know about avoiding parabans - what are they and what can they do to us?

Flori

rentrac
07-19-2008, 11:50 AM
I've had the same problem ever since starting Tykerb/Xeloda July '07. Superglue now OK'd by oncologists but I find you still have to be very careful. I tend to have 4-6 all the time. I tell the kids who ask that I'm taking Mummies for Dummies and that we start with the fingers when they ask me about my butterflies. The best thing I've found for heels and hands is neosporin, plus super hydrating cream from Bath and Body Works plus wrapping in bread bags or other plastic bags and sleep in the mess. It really helps alot. But meanwhile, the sure do hurt!

CindyE
07-19-2008, 12:28 PM
I have a split right now in my thumb. It's making it hard for me to crochet as it is where I hold the hook. I'm trying a little bag balm on it and it seems to be helping.

TerriC
08-03-2008, 07:12 AM
I have the weak, thin nails and the splits in the end of my fingers too. I have found that if I use Glove Me Tender from Bath & Body, it prevents those. It is a little on the pricey side, but it worked for me.

hutchibk
08-03-2008, 08:41 AM
For my feet, it turns out the best thing I have found so far is Cetaphil Cream in a tub... it works amazing, with socks at night while sleeping. I have no more cracked heels. I use it only 2 nights a week. It does have Petrolatum in it, but at this point I have decided to go with what works... I suppose you could use it on hands and sleep in light cotton gloves a couple of times a week.

When I get the splits in my fingertips (it only happens rarely these days) I just use antibiotic gel and keep em dry with [supposed] water-proof band-aids until they heal over. It has worked well for me when I need it, and I am well invested in the generic band-aid market...

I tried to get the Uria creams as prescribed by my Dermo, but my Prescription Part D plan laughed. They are not covered on any tier of my coverage and the one I was written for was going to cost $280. Oh well. I chose Cetaphil instead.

DanaRT
08-03-2008, 10:00 AM
The skin at my finger tips split wide open. Very painful. Liquid bandaid worked well. It stings intially. I wore gloves to clean house and do dishes.
Now that I am on Herceptin alone I have not had any trouble.
My biggest complaint now is sore hip, knee and ankle joints, it's worse in the evening. It takes a few seconds to become mobile.

Dana

hutchibk
08-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Dana - that joint pain should disappear when you finish Herceptin - it might take a few months...

DanaRT
08-03-2008, 11:26 AM
hutchibk,
I think it's the Herceptin too. My chemo nurse feels it's residual from the taxotere but I never had joint pain until I was on Herceptin alone. Thanks for sharing that it will get better.

Dana

TerriC
08-11-2008, 03:57 AM
Dana, I had the hip, knee and joint pain also. Plus I was retaining water and the side effects would last for 4 or 5 days. I would just start feeling normal again and it would be time for another infustion. But I found that if we slow down my infusion rate, my joints only really bother me the first day-and only minimally. I am on weeky infusions and instead of the 30 minute rate, I get it over 60 to 75 minutes. It's worth the extra time to me so I don't feel so old afterwards.
Hope this helps.
Terri

StephN
08-25-2008, 11:29 AM
My physician's assistant noticed my hands early last spring and I had lots of those cracks and a bandaid on right index finger.

I told her that this problem gets worse as winter goes on and then REALLY bad when I start my gardening (even thought I wear gloves). Seems to be the rubbing of the tool handles on my already tender skin - through the gloves.

Anyway she recommended CARMOL 20. It is WONDERFUL stuff. Available at most any pharmacy and not real expensive like a prescription. (A little goes a long way.)

It is 20% urea, hypoallergenic, contains NO parabens, lanolin or mineral oil. Also NO aloe for people like my Mom who is allergic to that.

It just vanishes into my hands and I can use it multiple times a day on the worst parts. If a split really opens and starts to bleed it gets the antibiotic ointment.

However, since I started using the Carmol, my hands are about good as new! And I am on continuous Herceptin, which I thought might be part of the problem, which I am now questioning.

So, now I will see how it works in the coming wintertime.

P.S. I have also been getting my Herceptin infused over 45 minutes for years now. It does make a difference in how I feel.

Mary Jeanne Phillips
08-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Dear StephN, thanks for the reply about the carmol20. I also read your story. It is very encouraging. I am now on Tykerb to interfere with the brain tumors hopefully and slow the growth in Liver, lungs, and bones. I have never taken the real intense systemic chemo since 2001 when I took cytoxin and Rfu or something like that plus 35 radiations. I am on macrobiotics and immune boosting hypnotherapy. Until Tykerb I felt GREAT even through 5 brain tumors and a craniotomy. Thank for writien. MJ