PDA

View Full Version : Gemzar/Herceptin vs. Abraxane/Lapatinib, hard decision

Lida
01-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi fellow her2 friends,
Hope you are managing through the treatments and the winter! After a good 2 yrs run with Herceptin/Xeloda, I tried Navelbine/Herceptin which was not helpful at all-progression afte 2 cycles. Now, I must decide on another treatment either Gemzar/Herceptin or Abraxane/Lapatinib. I have had Taxanes, Xeloda, and Navelbine in the past. I was told Gemzar is a new chemo to me and may be effective and then was told it may not be effective because Navelbine was not. I have had Taxanes in my past 2yrs ago, and twice earlier in my long 8 yr. mets journey. The Taxanes were quite effective for me, but I had to get off the last Taxol due to mixed results. So, I have been told I usually do well on Taxanes and Lapatinib is new., so Abraxane/Lapatinib is a good combo, but I did have Taxane exposures in the past. I am having a hard time with making this decision, and I need to know soon. I would appreciate your thoughts on Gemzar and Abraxane. Lida

tousled1
01-23-2008, 02:16 AM
The only thing I can tell you is that I've had great results with the Taxanes.

jones7676
01-23-2008, 08:55 PM
I have also had fabulous results with Abraxane. Good luck making your decision. May you make the right one and see wonderful results too!

Lolly
01-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Hi Lida;

Gemzar/Herceptin was hard on my counts, or rather Gemzar was. I was scheduled for 3 weekly tx with one week off but could never get even 2 weeks in a row due to low counts. Finally switched to Abraxane/Tykerb and had four good months with that combo. Abraxane was not hard on me at all, most of my side effects were due to Tykerb.

<3 Lolly

Lida
01-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Dear Lolly and group,
Lolly, thanks for your reply. People in the medical community are always saying Tykerb (Lapatinib) is easy to tolerate, but I am not so sure. What kind of side effects did you get from Tykerb? Lida

Lolly
01-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Lida, I had "the rash" which was raised red itchy spots on my face, shoulders and upper arms. Additionally, the spots on my face were pimply. There was diarreah, not as bad as some have reported. Easily controlled for me with a couple of doses of Immodium when it got annoying. Tiredness, some stomach ache, but really it wasn't too bad.

<3 Lolly