PDA

View Full Version : Radiation Question

Patty F
01-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Has anyone had to have radiation to the lymph nodes in their neck? If so, what were the side effects?

jaybt
01-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Yes, I had radiotherapy to the throat at the same time as treatment to the breast. I was told its a good insurance policy against spread if the lymph nodes to the breast bone had cancer.
Some days my voice was croaky and felt raw. I drank plenty of water (a good idea anyway!) and ate mashed food if necessary. Even though I was very careful with moisturising creams and did not use soap for the duration of the radiotherapy, a burn mark appeared on my neck on the last week of treatment which was very sore and uncomfortable. This side effect however is very much dependent on your type of skin. The burn was treated with a gel and plastic wrap and healed within 2 weeks.

Mary Anne in TX
01-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I had the radiation treatment to my neck nodes as insurance and sailed right through it. I did use a good gel several times a day and everything else kept as usual! I'm a shower freak and couldn't pass any of that stuff up! Lots of luck for smooth sailing! ma

sassy
01-22-2008, 06:11 PM
I also had rads to neck and the only lingering effect is to my voice. I sing and my voice is now not as strong nor as clear. I have just a bit of raspy sound mid-range. I also seem to get horse much more easily.

Becca
01-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Patty, I had dry mouth for some years after my radiation. Doctors thought it was from the radiation. I had to keep water with me to sip on or some kind of hard candy handy. Eventually it improved, and I don't notice it much now.