PDA

View Full Version : CT Scans

tdonnelly
01-18-2008, 07:22 PM
I am scheduled next week for a chest and brain CT Scan and a Muga Scan all in the same day. I am also suppose to get an updated Mammogram but my radiated breast is too swollen so will wait on that another month. I am concerned about all the Nuclear Medicine I will be receiving in one day as well as the high volume of Radiation. I just finished 28 Rad treatments. My ongoing symptoms warrant the tests but I am still afraid since reading about the use of Scans causing cancer. How do you know what is the right thing to do? After all is said and done the onc said we would discuss the test results in three weeks when I come back for my next Herceptin treatment. Is she kidding; tell a cancer patient to wait three weeks pondering the results. Sounds more like the ultimate in testing the patience of the patient. Well at least I still have my sense of humor. She probably doesn't realize the time frame and what it does to our perception of things. Thanks.
Tamara
Invasive Ductal Carcinoma 11/2006 HER2+

Jackie07
01-18-2008, 08:01 PM
It is annoying to have to have all those 'radiation' targeted on your body, isn't it? However, compared to the 'invasive' surgeries and chemotherapy, radiation is really not that bad. They scheduled all the procedures in the same day so we don't have to make multiple trips. Since each one is on different part of the body and the doses are low, there's really no need to worry.

Did the medical staff put anything on your breast after the radiation? Ask the doctor to give you something for the redness (burns) on your skin. I was given some small tubes of samples and then I purchased one with prescription.

I had to get a doctor friend of mine and my family doctor to intervene when my surgery date was going to be delayed. But generally speaking, if they are not in a hurry to see you after the scan, it usually means good news. And if they did find something during the scan, the technician will contact the doctor right away. Then the doctor will decide if she needs to see you sooner.

Lolly
01-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Yes, I've had several nuclear tests on the same day; just be sure and drink LOTS of water for the day, and the following day. Your kidneys will thank you.
As far as waiting 3 weeks, you don't have to wait that long to find out, just tell the facilities you want a copy of the report that will be sent to your doctor, and they can either mail it to you or if you're close, tell them you'll pick it up.
If there's anything that "jumps out" at you, you can then call your onc's office and ask for a call back as you have the report in hand and have some concerns. That will get her attention. Honestly, I don't know what some of these doctors are thinking.

<3 Lolly

Cathya
01-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Tamara;

I feel exactly the same way you do with waiting so I was very happy when my onc's nurse clarified things for me.......if they do a test and anything negative turns up they call me in right away. It's the old no news is good news situation. I am very happy knowing now that if I have tests between appointments and hear nothing from the doctor I can rest assured that all is well. I would ask your onc and his nurse how this is handled at his office. It would be best to clarify how tests results are handled as no doubt this is only the beginning.

After my radiation I also had hot, swollen breasts. I used to carry a baby wash cloth in a little baggy with some ice. I would put it on my breast whenever it was uncomfortable. I really helped. Like Lolly I also had a cream of some sort but I can't remember what.....lol....the old chemo brain.

Cathy