PDA

View Full Version : Eye Wiggle

PatS
01-15-2008, 05:55 PM
I went to the eye dr. for an ordinary annual exam and the new eye dr. asked me if anyone had ever told me I had an eye wiggle. I can't remember the technical name he said it was called but "googled" it and think the term is nystagmus. He said it's very slight and may be congental and just not noticed before or it could be new. He said it's very possible it's nothing to worry about (he also seemed to think that my not being dizzy or off balance is a good sign?). He also said it's possible for some kind of neurological mass to be causing it! I go back in two weeks for a visual field test. Naturally, my mind immediately went to a brain tumor and am a little panicky right now. I looked it up on the internet and what I found said the same thing pretty much and also mentioned MS. So, I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this?

Thanks.

Pat

Bill
01-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Hi Pat, I'm sorry but I don't have any experience with the eye situation you've described, but in my opinion, your eye doctor should not have said anything at all about a neurological mass causing it. One, nobody has noticed it before, two, he said it was very slight. Yes, it's something to look into at this point, for your own peace of mind, but please try not worry too much. I know that's easy for me to say, but like a good friend always told me,"Don't borrow trouble". I'm praying for answers to your questions and a calming peace to surround you. Love,, Bill

PatS
01-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks Bill, thanks for your response. I appreciate your good thoughts!

Pat

Barbara2
01-18-2008, 01:17 PM
My 22 year old son was born with congenital nystagmus, so I am familiar with his type. Congenital nystagmus means you were born with it, but it can be brought on later by other types of things, such as accidents, retardation, and more. Sorry, but I don't know what other things bring about nystagmus, which is an involuntary movement of the eye.

When you are born with it, your brain adjusts to the movement so you don't feel dizzy or off balance; your brain has known nothing else. But when it comes along later in life, it can affect balance and other things.

It affects your vision, too. He is legally blind, (but has pretty good close vision) but his nystagmus is quite noticable. When a person with nystagmus looks in a mirror, they can not see the eye movement, even when it is severe.

If you've had good eye exams in the past, and feel that this is possible something new, I would ask the opthamologist or your onc how to go about checking it out. It probably isn't anything new, but if you won't rest easy until you know for sure, it's probably best to have it checked. Thinking of good results for you...