PDA

View Full Version : Hair color

goops
01-06-2008, 07:18 PM
I am one month out of chemo and my hair is growing in white. Will hair color take on new hair growth after chemo therapy?

My mother doesn't even have gray hair so I don't think she is ready for a white haired daughter :)

Jean
01-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Your Funny,
Loved the remark of your Mom's hair color....

Yes, your hair will take color. Many have white hair growing in after chemo, don't know why but it does lighten up and all does go back
to normal.

Kind Regards,
Jean

hutchibk
01-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi goops-

I'm a hairdresser, so hopefully I can shed some light... it normally takes about 6 months for the effects and chemicals of the chemo (and at least one first 1/2" to 3/4" haircut) to not affect your hair. Any chemical or medication that is lurking in your hair can potentially change the way a color will take in your hair. If you go dark (level 2, very dark to level 6, medium dark) color, there will be less chance that you will have something comical happen in those first 6-8 months after chemo. Dying to blonde is the biggest risk...

Hope this helps.

Bev
01-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I cut off that 1st inch of regrowth and kept the wig. Color and texture were nasty. Like dishwater fuzz. It takes a long time, but your hair will be normal. I colored 6 months after finishing taxol. Nothing terrible happened. My color came back darker. My curls took 2.5 years to go away. The curls are still there at the ends. I haven't had the heart to cut them. They have grown on me. I'm starting to look odd with straight hair on top and wild curls at my shoulders. Looks like hat head. I think I'll have enough length in 3 months to get a new do with my straight hair. Bev

mslinda
01-06-2008, 08:28 PM
My hair came in white at first. Mainly just a white fuzz. My grandmother's hair has been white since her early 40's. So I thought mine was just coming back white. But it started turning with more hair coming in. I wish it had come back dark all over, but, it came in grey. Oh well, I guess I earned every one of them.

Linda

Bill
01-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi Goop! Yeah, the natural color will come back, but if you want to color it, I cast my vote for red, lol! I hope you're doing well. Love and Peace to you, Bill

goops
01-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Funny you should vote for red - because it was auburn. Thanks for the info everyone, several people (who were not cancer patients) told me that didn't think the color would hold. In a strange way I like the white hair, it is exotic and it may give me some senior discounts ;), but I fear that people will think I am far older then I am.

Bill
01-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I almost said auburn in my first post, but wanted to give you more options.http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon10.gif Exotic white is good too. Whatever you choose, we know it will look great! Take care, Bill

Louise O'Brien
01-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Not to worry about the hair colour. Mine came in white too and stayed that way for several months. Then an undercoat of black came in under the white which is fascinating my hair dresser because he said it's never been that dark. So now it looks like I've streaked it - there's this black mixed with what looks like white streaks. It's nine months now. I'm working it - lots of big silver hoop earings and makeup of course, especially eye makeup. I don't intend to recolour it - it's rather unique. And it's a lot cheaper.

I also got hair cuts whenever it got straggly and did so even when it was short because I wanted it to have some shape. It made a huge difference.

Enjoy your hair. The best bit? When you wake up in the morning and discover you have bed head. Who knew that something as annoying as bed head could also be something to celebrate?

dhealey
01-07-2008, 05:36 AM
Mine came back in the same salt and pepper gray I had before chemo. Only difference was the curls. I never had curls before and they drive me crazy, I don't know how to deal with them. It's been 10 months now and I still have those darn curls.

Sheila
01-07-2008, 05:38 AM
Louise and Goop
I have been thinking the same thing as mine is coming in SOOOOOO much grayer than before...the gray and white makes me feel like a skunk! Mine is now about 1/2 -3/4 in long (in parts)....I too have been thinking about color...but I am still on Taxol, so don't know if that will affect it....I have tried the earrings and eye makeup...I look like a skunk in earrings and eye makeup! Maybe we should all color and post our new pics!

michka
01-07-2008, 06:15 AM
First episode: it grew back white with curls. So I had it colored when it was still very short. It was a disaster. Instead of brown it turned to a strange orange! My hairdresser was upset. She kept looking at the packages to see if she made a mistake...I only learned after why. "They" say it takes 6 months to get rid of the chemo in our body. No Doctor will tell us that, it is such a detail.
Second episode: surprise! It started growing back brown again except in the few places where it was white before chemo. Now I can do the color I want. It doesn't turn. I just have the feeling it grows slower than before. I must be too impatient!
Michka

suzan w
01-07-2008, 08:18 AM
It took about 8 months for my hair to grow to about 3" in length after chemo. It came in about the same color...drab mousy! Very curly!! I loved the curls as I had never had any. I was a blonde kid and had lightened my hair as it became darker the older I got. Then the curls were gone...so I cut it short like it had been before I lost it all...and lightened it...and...that's my story!!! Because I like short hair, I was coloring it every 2-3 months...and now I am a little worried about all the chemicals so have let it go back to its natural color. My oncologist also said to wait about 6 months after chemo to do any coloring, perms etc.

PinkGirl
01-07-2008, 08:49 AM
I'd like to see a picture of "the skunk wearing
make-up and ear rings". Sounds cute.

harrie
01-08-2008, 04:29 PM
My hair is dark, short and curly. I have been using Nioxin.
Hariire

weezie1053
01-11-2008, 05:29 PM
I too was in a hurry to color my hair. I finished chemo in Feb. I colored around June, and I was a flaming red head due to the chemicals. Eleven months later, I am able to color and highlight so it looks like the old me. Texture of my hair is much thicker. I too had curls for the first time in my life, but they are starting to relax. Now, I wish I could get rid of my weight gain.... So an old boss today, and I told him I look like a "little porker," and he grinned and told me that I look like a "healthy porker." God is good!

P.S.--Christmas is over and I'm back.............27 years of retail insanity!

Happy New Years to you all!

Louise

Mary Jo
01-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Yes, God Is Good....................thanks so much for sharing that. And hey, a healthy anything is fine in my books. http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Hugs,

Mary Jo

tousled1
01-11-2008, 08:02 PM
After I finished my treatment my hair started to come in mostly gray but by the time it was long enough to spike it was dark brown. One thing I never did get was the curls. My hair came back in poker straight. Now that I've lost my hair again I'm wondering what surprise I will have when it comes back.

hutchibk
01-11-2008, 08:31 PM
As Harrie mentioned, the second time and most recent time that my hair grew back I used Nioxin and I am certain that it helps it grow in a bit faster, about 2 months faster than without using it. Don't buy the whole kit and kaboodle, just the Follicle Booster is all you need...

Being a hairdresser, I was curious if it really worked, so I used myself as an experiment... I don't know if it will help a balding man grow hair that has thinned or fallen out, but it absolutely helped mine grow in faster than when I didn't use it.