PDA

View Full Version : Reconstructive Surgery, Pre or Post Radiation?

chicagoetc
01-01-2008, 04:05 PM
I am currently in the middle of the Taxol+Herceptin (preceded by AC) part of chemo. At the time of surgery a few months ago, an expander was put in. After the Taxol, I am looking at about six weeks of radiation. My reconstructive surgeon says it might be good to do additional surgery related to the reconstruction prior to radiation (e.g. swapping out the expander and maybe something related to symmetry). Or not. He's going to check in with my primary surgeon and the oncologist so they're on the same page.

I would have thought any additional surgery would come after radiation. Are there reasons you know why it should/could be one way or the other? Any input would be helpful as I don't know how to begin to think about this.

Thanks,
Melanie

karen raines hunt
01-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi,
I had expanders put in at the time of my mastectomies. Then, had numerous saline injections to expand the tissue. I had A/C, then Taxol + Herceptin. I did radiation while still on Herceptin. When I was examined, marked, measured, etc for radiation, the radiation onc said the unaffected breast had to be deflated. Because of the angles the docs wanted to use to radiate the cancerous side, the other breast was in the way. I was very lopsided for a while, but was reinflated following the radiation treatments. I had my expanders removed and permanent implants put in about 2 months after I finished radiation.

PatS
01-01-2008, 06:05 PM
I also had an expander put in during my mastectomy (single) and had to have radiation. I was fully expanded before starting radiation and then had 28 rads. I didn't have my exchange until 2-3 months after radiation was completed. My understanding was that at least one reason they did the exchange after radiation was done so that if the radiation caused any problems with the expander it was going to be replaced later anyway and so they could correct any issues then.

Pat