PDA

View Full Version : transplant/gvhd

madubois63
12-22-2007, 12:37 AM
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/girl-dies-hours-after-transplant/20071221155609990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

This article is about a young woman that just died because the insurance company would not pay for a liver transplant after a bone marrow transplant for leukemia. Her liver shut down most likely because of graft verses host disease like I experienced this past June/July. I was very lucky in that the ATG (horse serum) I received worked in curing my liver. The article does not mention if they tried any of the liver treatments that are available or if they went straight for transplant. When I was sick, a transplant was discussed, but I was pretty much told no one would touch me because of the breast cancer (even though I was in remission). My odds of making it were pretty slim.

I am not sure why I am posting this. I guess I just need to vent a little. Part of me is asking myself why this young strong woman didn't make it and I did after so many treatments/chemo. I am also so pissed off about the fact that an insurance company made the decision on how she was to be treated. Something needs to be done about that!!! I hope her family is able to make a murder charge stick and that they win a huge amount of money so that maybe things will change in the future.

Sheila
12-22-2007, 06:00 AM
MaryAnn
I also watched this story with anger and sadness...the insurance company was Cigna....maybe this is their way of doing business....the fought me every day on my disability insurance...insurance I had paid for, FOR A LONG TIME, BUT WHEN i NEEDED IT, THEY DIDN'T WANT TO PAY! Now this poor girl has lost her life to their decisions....how cruel!

dhealey
12-22-2007, 06:48 AM
Somebody needs to take Cigna to court. It is time that the doctors decide what's best for you and not the insurance companies. They even decide on what drugs you can take, what do they know, they don't have MD after their name. This really pisses me off. This could happen to any one of us.

Jean
12-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Yes, they should be punished in all ways possible.
This is where we the consumer can hurt any insurance
company we wish by not particapting in their plans.
We as consumers have the power but do not utilize it.
It is just like voting. If these companies were black
listed by the major Fortune 500 companies it would make
a difference in policey. They (the insurance companies )
are away with this because they have the masses.
Can you just imagine what will go on if we have government
run medical care? I met two ladies from the UK in S.A.
and they are running a funding program for the women who
are NOT getting their herceptin!!!! While I firmly believe in
equal medical care for all...I am truly concerned how that type
of program would be operated. Like Shiela posted she is paying
for her insurance and was denied....I know of woman who have
plans that only allow a mamagram once every two years if they
are under 40 yrs. old!

That story is just distgusting.
Jean

Sheila
12-28-2007, 06:31 AM
It is a sad day when our insurance and not our Dr.s can dictate which treatments we will receive....we are paying for this...I think its time we fight back.

MJo
12-28-2007, 09:22 AM
The last I heard about this case, the family is bringing a lawsuit against CIGNA. Also, I think I read that nurses were actually picketing CIGNA because of this case. Does anyone remember reading this?