PDA

View Full Version : here us something we ALL can do to REALLY speed up a cure for her2+ breast cancer!

Lani
12-18-2007, 04:03 AM
THIS IS A JULY 2006 post of mine. I had been searching for it and finally found it:

Here is what we all can do to REALLY speed up a cure for her2+ breast cancer!

At a lecture I went to three months ago at Stanford, the country's leading researcher on breast cancer stem cells told me the most important thing that her2neu breast cancer patients could do would be to use their advocacy strength to try to alter the privacy policies which make it almost impossible for researchers to utilize patients' breast cancer samples in their research.

I think I mentioned this once before to Cynthia, who was looking for a way to utilize her legal connections and skills to promote a cure.

Here is another way around the problem, which is probably more effective and requires no change in the law--volunteering to give breast cancer specimens for use in research. It is problematic, as it cannot be used in double-blind type studies, as there will be a a possibility of some bias in sampling due to the altruistism and intelligence of those providing samples skewing the results in some way.

Here is the article from the Wall Street Journal:

Patients With Rare Diseases
Work to Jump-Start Research
Advocacy Groups Create
Their Own Tissue Banks
To Aid in Drug Development
By AMY DOCKSER MARCUS
July 11, 2006; Page D1
Kathy Giusti, 47 years old, was diagnosed a decade ago with multiple myeloma, an incurable and rare cancer of the blood. With only 16,000 new cases diagnosed a year, Ms. Giusti, a former pharmaceutical-company executive, knew that it would be hard to get drug companies and researchers to study her disease.

Kathy Giusti, founder of the Multiple Myeloma Research Consortium, helped create a biospecimen bank for her disease.
When she asked researchers at a 2004 meeting what it would take to speed up the search for treatments, she says they told her that "the biggest obstacle was getting tissue from multiple-myeloma patients to study and test." So she decided to give them something to get started: In 2005, the Multiple Myeloma Research Consortium, founded by Ms. Giusti, started its own biospecimen bank.

With more than 600 samples of bone marrow and blood already collected from around the country, the bank's resources are being used to support important new research. The consortium, which now includes 11 academic institutions, earlier this year launched a Multiple Myeloma Genomic Initiative, which will study the tissue samples to look for genes that play a role in the disease. It is also discussing with researchers in France the possibility of setting up a European-based multiple-myeloma bank to further expand the supply of tissue.

Biospecimen banks, which may include tissue samples, blood, spinal fluid or other specimens along with clinical data about patients, are critical to medical research. They offer researchers a way to test new drugs and to study and better understand the biology of a disease. And they offer the best way of finding new targets for experimental drugs.

Major drug companies and medical centers often maintain such banks for a range of diseases. But specimens sometimes sit unused because there isn't money to study them. If a disease is rare, individual centers may not see enough patients to collect a critical mass of samples, and smaller drug companies often don't have the resources to find patients. Patient groups have also found that study results often aren't shared with other researchers, and legal fights have broken out over who owns the rights to potential therapies developed from tissue.

Out of frustration over all these issues, patient groups -- especially ones focused on rare, underfunded diseases -- are increasingly taking matters into their own hands. They are starting their own biospecimen banks in the hopes of accelerating research and gaining more control over the process.

Groups that include the Accelerated Cure Project for Multiple Sclerosis, the Joubert Syndrome Foundation, Cure Autism Now and the Inflammatory Breast Cancer Research Foundation have all started banks, leveraging their extensive patient databases and ability to raise funds. The Lance Armstrong Foundation recently awarded a grant to the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California to establish the Los Angeles County Germ Cell Tumor and Tissue Bank Resource, which will collect, store and distribute testicular-cancer tissue specimens for cancer researchers all over the country in the hopes of finding new drug targets for that rare cancer.

Starting a bank "is becoming an obligate strategy for patient advocacy groups if you want to make really rapid progress, especially in a rare disease," says Jeffrey Trent, the president and scientific director of the Translational Genomics Research Institute, which along with the Eli and Edythe L. Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, is working on the Multiple Myeloma Genomic Initiative. "We could not do this genomic project on multiple myeloma without the existence of the biospecimen bank."

Running a bank can be an expensive proposition. The Accelerated Cure Project for MS Repository says it will cost $2.5 million to collect the first 1,000 samples of blood and clinical data from people with multiple sclerosis and matched controls. The Genetic Alliance Biobank, established by seven patient-advocacy groups in 2004 as a way of keeping down expenses and standardizing operating procedures, says it costs advocacy groups $13,000 a year to join and use the alliance biobank.

Ms. Giusti says it cost $2 million to $3 million to set up the multiple-myeloma bank, paid for partly by a grant from the Pioneer Fund, a private family foundation in Denver. Maintaining it costs about $1.5 million a year, which goes mainly to salaries for assistants at major cancer centers who oversee the collection of specimens, the cost of collecting and shipping them, and storage at the Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, in Arizona, where the bank is housed.

At a meeting of patient-advocacy groups last month in Cambridge, Mass., Ms. Giusti recounted some of the challenges she faced in launching the tissue bank. Often, even at major academic centers, the bank wasn't able to get large numbers of samples, so organizers decided they needed more centers. Ms. Giusti estimated that it cost her group $250,000 in legal fees to get a membership agreement written and signed by all the centers.

The surge in patient-run banks comes at a time of controversy and discussion about the future of banks in cancer research. In 2002, the National Dialogue on Cancer, a forum of private-sector, academic, government and nonprofit groups, identified access to high-quality tissue as a key barrier in drug development.

There are no national standards for repositories that collect and store the specimens used in cancer research, or even consensus on what are the necessary storage conditions for maintaining the tissue. The prospect of patient groups starting banks has exacerbated concerns about material not being properly collected or stored "and having 1,000 advocacy groups just doing their own thing," says Paula Kim, president and founder of Translating Research Across Communities, which is working on the issue of creating a national network of biospecimen banks.

After much study, the National Cancer Institute's Office of Biorepositories and Biospecimen Research just released guidelines to try to standardize the policies at the 125 NCI-supported banks. A pilot project in which eight NCI-sponsored prostate-cancer centers store and exchange tissue using standard procedures started a year ago. The hope is that independent biobanks will adopt the same standards.

The Multiple Myeloma Research Consortium has developed stringent standards of its own for collection and storage of samples. At sites around the country that work with the consortium, anytime a patient with multiple myeloma has a bone-marrow draw, he or she is asked to donate an extra sample for the bank. The samples are all drawn, bar-coded, shipped and treated according to a protocol developed and paid for by the consortium. Every week, the consortium sends out a kind of "report card" to each center which tells them how many samples each site has shipped. A system was set up to allow each center to track the specimens and enter patient data in a standard fashion.

The Mayo Clinic storage facility is neutral on how the specimens are used, says Rafael Fonseca, associate professor at the Mayo Clinic and medical director of the tissue bank; such decisions are vetted by the consortium's steering committee.

The multiple-myeloma tissue bank has played a key role in several new projects. Nereus Pharmaceuticals of San Francisco plans to start a clinical trial with a new drug, and the tissue bank will collect samples from the patients treated with the drug to allow the company to determine if the drug is working and which patients are responding. Novartis is testing an experimental drug in a group of patients who have an aggressive subtype of the disease that hasn't responded well to standard treatments, and will use tissue from the bank to identify patients in that group.

For many patient groups, frustrated by the dearth of treatment options, running a bank gives them the power to shape and drive forward the search for treatments. Sharon Terry, who has two children with a rare genetic disease called pseudoxanthoma elasticum and is the founding president of the Genetic Alliance Biobank, says, "We have 33 scientists working under my coordination, largely because I hold the resource, the blood and tissue bank."

Write to Amy Dockser Marcus at amy.marcus@wsj.com

Lani
12-18-2007, 04:05 AM
twice. Do those on this board have that degree of activism--it will take money raising, grant proposal writing, as well as just signing off on your tissue sample and history.

Are others jumping on board?

Jean
12-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Lani,
This may not have merit, but I am wondering....since Dr. Slamon does a huge amount of research on Her2 - do you think he would be interested
in establishing a HER 2 tumor bank with our gorup?

what do you think?
Thanks,
Jean

Lani
12-18-2007, 11:36 AM
much of the research group with him. I will try to ask around and find out. Dr. Kopecny, Cindy Wilson, etc seemed to be the names on many of the important papers finding which chemo drugs were synergistic with herceptin, that the functional status of ER and PR is less when her2 is amplified, etc. If they have moved to Florida, much less her2 research would be being done at UCLA.

I didn't hear Dr. Pegram give any talks this year nor see his name on posters, although I saw him walking around.

Baylor really seems to be the hot site of her2 research at the moment and Dr. C Kent Osbourne seems to know everybody else in such a way that they could all go to him to "check out some her2 tumors from the lending library"

A lot will have to do with logistics and funding. None of this is my forte--give me a computer, some time and some conferences at which to ask questions and I am good at digging up information and asking informative and important questions. It is the quality of my questions I have been told which gets these people to talk to me as I certainly am not their peer or colleague.

I like to think (?delusional) that I tend to have a "nose" for whatever reason for seeing where research is going/leading.

Having Alaska Angel ask those attending SABCS to inquire with researchers
should we develop a registry just somehow spurred me to talk with these various researchers.

I am way beyond my capabilities, talents and resources already. I will continue to post what I have done so far, but need a passionate capable person or persons to take this up and make it their own.

The vice president of the City of Hope in Charge of Research was contacted and provided me with information on how melanoma patients (or the mother of one I believe) are trying to set up a similar registry. I will post that info
for someone else to take up. Am happy to contribute information but let's see who can contribute legwork, fundraising, organization, legal and other skills to try to make this a reality.

It takes someone(s) affected by the disease, their committed friend or loved one with passion, energy and commitment.

Anyone(s) fitting that description please come forward.

Ready to pass the baton...

AlaskaAngel
12-18-2007, 12:00 PM
I think this past post of yours does justice to the whole concept, Lani. A lot of different people connected to this website would have to develop the shared commitment to it through shared effort or it probably won't go very far. Thanks for ALL that you do at this site to encourage better treatment in all kinds of ways.

San Antonio is one opportunity for people who are interested to meet in person and develop that kind of commitment. Even though not everyone is going to be able to grasp all that was presented, their viewpoint as patients is valuable here. I like Joe's suggestion, too, about the possibility for a conference at some point to put together the kinds of people who would actively be involved. I'm sure it wasn't easy when Kathy Guisti put together something, especially when so many of those who are involved are dealing with the disease and all of the disadvantages involved with that, but nothing will happen until some make the effort to get started. I suggest that as a first step maybe a chat could be set up for all those who attended SABCS to be available for discussion limited to this topic. A separate chat could be offered for more general discussion as well.

AlaskaAngel

Lani
12-18-2007, 12:09 PM
do something similar (setting up a tumor registry) with melanoma. It has been suggested that we contact her.

She has been tirelessly lobbying legislatures, appearing on Good morning America, etc.

Just posted this now, so the info wouldn't get lost in the shuffle