PDA

View Full Version : My father died last night

charlotte
12-15-2007, 07:40 PM
I posted several months ago about my father having mets to the liver and how they had removed a kidney...and almost all of the liver...It started out as colon cancer..I know this is a site for breast cancer, but I feel so helpless right now...so I apologize , if I should not be posting on the breast cancer site... well, he has been very sick , for weeks,....Chemo didn't work for him...
He was sent home by the Dr.from the hospital Monday night.. and hospice has been there since Tuesday.... I am very sad as I post this , because he was such a kind and gentle man.... He didn't have a mean bone in his body....
Please pray for us as we go through this difficult time....
This is a terrible disease that we are fighting.... I have tears in my eyes as I post this... I didn't think I had any tears left.... the funeral will be Tuesday.. the viewing will be Monday night...
By the way, the hospice nurses were wonderful to my father... I am thinking of volunteering after a while at the hospice office. they have been so kind to my father and family..The hospice nurse stayed over 10 hours with him yesterday.. would not leave his side....

StephN
12-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Dear Charlotte -
You and I have had a rough year with our fathers being so very ill. I lost mine on Nov. 5, so the ache in my heart is still quite fresh and painful.

Makes these end of the year holidays that much more difficult as the family dynamic changes and reforms itself. I could not do the usual Christmas card letter as there was such a focus on trying to get dad better for so many months that just about everything else fell by the wayside. Not the kind of thing to send out in a holiday note ...

Once you get through the next week, I think you will be feeling a great sense of relief that your father is no longer in a state of suffering. It will sink in, but takes a few days after the initial wave of relief.

Remember to take care of yourself as well.

lexigirl
12-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Dear Charlotte,

I am so very sorry for your loss. I feel the pain in your post. My eyes are filled with tears for you. Please accept my sympathies and my prayers.

Hugs,
Lexi

LOPSIDED
12-15-2007, 08:40 PM
I Am Very Sorry For Your Loss. My Father Passed Last January. One Thing That Has Helped Me Is That I Know My Father Would Want Me To Be Okay & Be Happy. I Will Miss Him Every Day. I Will Say A Prayer For You And Your Family.

rinaina
12-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Charlotte, please accept my most sincere condolences. May you find some comfort in your circle of friends and family. My thoughts are with you at this very difficult time.

Bill
12-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Charlotte, I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. I don't presume to speak for the site, but I am sure that you can come here anytime for help and support. Cancer is cancer, and these women here are among the strongest I've ever seen. Steph, I'm sorry for your loss as well. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Bill

Lolly
12-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Charlotte, my deepest sympathies for your loss. It's hard to see our parents suffer, and losing them is even harder. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

<3 Lolly

Catherine
12-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Charlotte,

I am sorry about the loss of your father. I am glad you felt you could share your saddness with us. Hospice is wonderful. We had hospice for my father, and even though he did not have cancer, he had a couple of years of pain. As things got worse, we had hospice for the last 6 months and they were wonderful to help make him comfortable.Hospice helped my dad and the rest of the family emotionally too. Please remember that hospice is available to you personally for an additional year. Their counseling and grieving support services are wonderful in our area. I hope the same for your area. Do stay in touch with them. Did they give you the booklet entitled something like...."gone from our sight." Your father sounded like a wonderful person. I am sure he appreciated your love and support.

All the best, Catherine

hutchibk
12-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Love and blessings to you in your time of loss, Charlotte. If anyone understands your heartbreak at this time, it is this forum of people. Please keep well and know that your father felt (and still feels) every ounce of your love. I know you will miss him, but he will find ways to continue to send his kind and gentle love to you... and you will know it when it happens.

LAURIE
12-16-2007, 05:56 AM
I am very sorry for your loss, and very glad you shared with us. May God give you strength in spirit during this rough time.

nitewind
12-16-2007, 07:06 AM
Charlotte, I am so very sorry to hear this news. Please except my deepest sympathy, I will keep you in my prayers.

Mary Anne in TX
12-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Charlotte, I'm so sorry to hear of your father's death. How hard it must be to let him go. I'm so glad that you were blessed by hospice this week with the care that they gave your dad. They truly do know how to care. God bless you and your family during this difficult time. ma

dhealey
12-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Charlotte, Please accept my deepest sympathies in the loss of your father. It is never easy when we lose a parent. He will forever be an angel watching over you.

tousled1
12-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Charlotte,

Please accept my sincere sympathy on the loss of your father. I lost my father many years ago and I know the pain you feel. Just try and realize he is no longer in pain and is looking over you. I'm happy to know that Hospice was such a help. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Take care of yourself.

Karen W
12-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Dear Charlotte,

I am so very sorry for your loss. My dad died in 1991 from lung cancer and I remember how sad I felt. I will pray for you and your family.

Hugs,
Karen

kareneg
12-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Dear Charlotte,

I am so sorry and you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

caya
12-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Dear Charlotte,

Sorry for your loss. My darling father passed away in 1991 from a heart attack at age 59. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of him.

all the best
caya

sassy
12-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Charlotte,

Losing a parent is so difficult. They are such a part of our foundation, that we are left feeling somewhat weakened by their passing. But our strength can be found in the life and love that they gave to us, and their spirit that will always remain a part of our lives.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Ceesun
12-16-2007, 01:23 PM
My heartfelt sympathies to you. I lost my dad in 2002-I think of him everyday. in time, your pain will ease. May God Bless. Ceesun

Kim in CA
12-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Dear Charlotte,

I am so sorry for your loss. It's been almost 30 years since I lost my Dad and I can still remember how much it hurt. Just know that I'm thinking of you and sending prayers for your strength and healing at this time.

Kim

Believe51
12-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Please accept my condolences for the loss of your Angel Father, my heart goes out to your entire family. I shall keep you in our prayers as your family and you move forward through this very difficult time. Sassy made me cry reading her post, it really hit home as I read it and I could have not said it better. May you find comfort with what he has left you all with and may his many wonderful memories keep him alive in your hearts & minds forever. Prayers and Blessings coming your way. As far as volunteering, I think it is a magnificent way to give back and to keep Dad's spirit circulating. I am sure he would be so honored to see you doing that in his memory!! Love & hugs>>Believe51

charlotte
12-20-2007, 08:03 AM
First thanks to all for posting in response to this....We buried my father Tuesday.. My mother is like in a daze, but she does have and will have the rest of the family's support..
I come to this site for comfort, to ask questions and for the vast knowledge of information that is shared ...
By way, I have not find the book from hospice that was mentioned in one of the posts.. I will see if I can find it soon... If not , I will go to the hospice office and ask for it .
Thanks again to all, it brought me a lot of comfort and caring to read all the posts...

Sheila
12-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Charlotte
My deepest sympathy and prayers to you and your family in the loss of your Father.....your Mom will need extra support at this time, please take care of yourself too...you are in my prayers....you have a special angel looking on you from above.

MJo
12-20-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm sorry about your dad, and it's hard this time of year when so many people are celebrating. We lost my dad in 2002 to bladder cancer. His last few months were difficult, but we were able to express our love for him and I know it helped him. Please take good care of yourself during this difficult time.

Andrea Barnett Budin
12-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Dear Charlotte,

I am so sorry to learn of your loss. I lost my Father when I was 33, and he was 63. The loss of a parent leaves a bit of a tear in our heart. It becomes less painful but we are always mindful of their absence. I know that the time will come when I will meet my Dad again, that he is at peace and is watching over me and all our family. That is what I hope you will come to feel and it will surely comfort you greatly.

Try to remember, Charlotte, that are truly blessed to have had such a wonderful man play such an important role in your life. Please try to focus on your good fortune, as tempting as it is to contemplate what has been taken from you. Celebrate your Father's life and his part in yours.

May the love and caring of many embrace you and somehow lessen your sorrow. Others are truly touched by your words and your circumstance. And, please, remember to take care of yourself! As your Father would want for you. He was a part of bringing you to Life and surely wishes for you to go on enjoying the gift he gave to you, enjoying each and every day, not sacrificing a single one...
Andi

Sherryg683
12-21-2007, 11:07 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers..sherryg

Becky
12-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Charlotte

I am very sorry about the loss of your father. I lost my father in 1991 from a heart attack in his sleep at age 57. I think of him often and all the things I never discussed with him or that I did not have a chance to say goodbye. It is so difficult to see your parents ill and the loss is so hard.

I am thinking about you and I am sure you have the courage to get through this - its so hard.

Barbara H.
12-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Hi Charlotte,
I was sorry to hear about the loss of your father. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Barbara H.