PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin Today, Longer Infusion time

Kim in CA
12-12-2007, 05:03 PM
When I received my Herceptin today, the nurses told me that the infusion time was being changed. I will now receive it over 45 mins. as opposed to the 30 mins. that we used to do.

Evidently, according to the manufacturer, it is supposed to be easier on your heart.

Also got back my latest MUGA results and I'm down just a hair, but still in the normal range at 56%. MRI of brain was good too, Yippee! So all in all, I'm feeling very blessed and like Christmas has just come early!

Kim

tousled1
12-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Kim,

Great news on your MRI and also your MUGA. I know that I asked to have the Herceptin at a slower rate a few weeks ago. It now takes about 45 minutes. Anything to take the pressure off the heart.

caya
12-12-2007, 05:13 PM
I was very nauseous the first couple of times I had Herceptin, so I asked them to slow it to 60 minutes. Been fine ever since.

all the best
caya

tricia keegan
12-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Kim when I began herceptin in '06 the norm was 90 mns...then it went to 30 just as I finished! Now it's going up again, I suppose it's early days still and they just don't know enough but congrats on doing so well and hope it keeps up.. Merry Christmas

StephN
12-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Dear Kim -
I am so glad you posted with your latest test results. Now you can forget all that and just have a lovely Christmas. What are you getting for your horse?

For me the infusion time for the 3-week dose settled at 45 minutes a long time ago (like over 5 years ago). I find I feel better at that rate. So there must be something to their findings. My main noticeable affect at the faster rate was being a little feverish the same evening. But maybe that was my heart working!?

Julie2
12-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Congratulations Kim. My 3 week Herceptin is 90 min long and 1 week is 30 minutes.

Julie

dhealey
12-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Congrats on the great test results. I have recieved my herceptin every 3 weeks and given over 90 minutes. Have never had a problem.

Joan M
12-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Kim,

Great results and just in time for Christmas.

Your point about infusion rates is a good one. I was taken off Herceptin in October after only five treatments given every three weeks, because my muga score dropped from 70% to 57%.

My onc didn't like more than a 10% drop and says that's the guideline for discontinuing Herceptin.

I'm going to check into my infusion rate.

My treatments were really quick, I'd say in about an hour.

I took Herceptin when I had early stage bc weekly for one year, and those treatments were about 30 minutes long. I never had a problem with my muga scans. They were always in the mid-60% range.

Perhaps since I was on Herceptin before the onc nurses are just cranking up the drip feeling that I tolerate the drug well. Also, I never had any noticable side affects.

My last two treatments I was out in a jiff, and perhaps that affected the drop in my muga score.

Lolly
12-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Kim, what wonderful news! Christmas HAS come early :)
I always had my 3 weekly Herceptin given over an hour, and the weekly over 30 mins. At one time I was getting 2 weekly, and that was 45 mins.

<3 Lolly

Vanessa
12-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Great news on your test results!!!!!!! I have been getting my weekly herceptin for an hour for a while now, to keep me from having a allergic reaction. This has been a double benefit. Good luck with your future treatments. So glad you have had good test results.

Chelee
12-13-2007, 12:19 AM
Kim, When I was doing herceptin I did the 1st 8 months wkly. The last 4 months every 3 wks to give myself a break. My cancer center would of given me my 3 wk dose in 30 minutes but I was un-comfortable with that large of dose that fast. (Just me...a worrier.) So I asked if I could have it set at 1 hr which of course they didn't have a problem with. They did ask me why? I said "I just feel like it would be easier on my heart". I said "Even if its not...I feel like it is". So now...your post just validated my thinking at the time. :) Thanks for sharing that information.

That's wonderful news on your muga & brain MRI. Can't ask for better timing right before Christmas and New Years. YEAH! That is just fantastic. Enjoy your holidays with no worries. :)

Chelee

Mary Anne in TX
12-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Everytime that I have had herceptin, every 2 weeks, or mostly every 3 weeks; I have gotten it over 1 hour! Now that I drive 3 hours, get the infusion, and usually head back home; it's kinda nice to have the hour to visit! Can't even imagine it ending!

murph
12-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Kim, great news on your scans. Great gift before Christmas !! I had no problem on Herceptin when I was doing it with the Taxol every wk for 12 wks. Then I was switched to 90 min, since July. Having some upset stomach, along with joint pain and tiredness every since.(Not sure if symptoms are coming from menopause, I had ovaries removed) I am trying to stick it out til May.

TSund
02-29-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't like starting yet another new thread, so am reviving this one.

Ruth has been doing her 3 week Herceptin in various places; at the centerwhere she was doing her rads, at the center near our home, and at Baylor on the days we see the oncologist. Last time someone did her Herceptin in only 30 mins. Usually it's an hour or so. Her face turned very red I'm told (which I have a hard time imagining!)

Is this a sign of something in particular? (i.e. allergic or ??)

A nurse at the other place said she should always do 90 mins as is easier on the heart. ANyone know stats on this? She is going to ask for 90 mins just in case, but I'd like to know if this has been verified, and spread the word if indeed so!

Lolly
02-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Terri, when I was getting Herceptin 3 weekly, it was always infused over 90 minutes. I think that's on the instructions that come with the concentrate.

Lolly
02-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Terri, here's a link to the Roche(Genentech's European arm) web site with instructions for infusion times; it states clearly the the 3 weekly should be given over 90 minutes and only the weekly should be given over 30 minutes. I think someone goofed when Ruth got her infusion :(

Roche/Herceptin Infusion Instructions
http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/assets/c/html/DisplayDoc.asp?DocumentID=3567

Yorkiegirl
02-29-2008, 08:26 PM
I know when I was taking my Herceptin (I had weekly treatments they were easier on me) I got that infusion done in 45 minutes. If it was done faster my heart seemed to beat faster and I would turn red as well.

TSund
03-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Makes me wonder if "the slower the better'"...in other words esp. for those suffering any drop in heart valve function, could rate of damage reduced by extra slow administration??

I'm always theorizing... :)

any thoughts??

Meanwhile will make sure Ruth gets 90 mins, and Lolly, I think you are right. THey screwed up. I stopped going with Ruth once she finished TCH chemo, not that I necessarily would have caught this "pre-drip">.. You hate to question everything that's going on, and yet it seems sometimes like it is the safest course of action. We face the same thing with "masking"> Theoretically should be done every time. Now that RUth's not on chemo per say they are especially lax on this. Should we be insisting?

TRS

goops
03-01-2008, 06:24 PM
I have Herceptin every 3 weeks for 90 minutes, They gave it to me over 30 minutes when I had it weekly. I did not realize that some people get it faster.

Kim in CA
03-02-2008, 11:17 AM
The last time I got my Herceptin they changed the time yet again. They increased the infusion time another 15 mins. to one hour. I will tell them that many are getting it over 90 mins and see what they say. I have noticed that I no longer get my Herceptin headache that I used to get when I was getting the 30 minute infusion.

Kim

Joan M
03-02-2008, 05:34 PM
When I had early stage bc I received Herceptin once a week for 30 minutes.

When I started Herceptin again for metastatic breast cancer once every three weeks, they were giving it to me in 60 minutes.

My heart function dropped more than 10% from 70% to 57%, so my oncologist took me off of Herceptin for a few months.

I'm now back on and have had three three-week treatments so far, and they've been giving them to me over 2 hours.

When my heart function went up to 60% my oncologist said we should try Herceptin again, and I brought up the issue of increasing the time of the infusion.

I guess she came up with 2 hours. That's what's in my orders.