PDA

View Full Version : breast cancer/ovarian cancer linked?

Brenda_D
11-02-2007, 08:32 PM
How much of a link is there from BC to ovarian ca?
I was at the hospital today, and a lady that had BC 9 years ago, was in surgery today for ovarian ca.

kristen
11-03-2007, 03:10 AM
Hi Brenda,
There can be a link especially if you carry the BRCA 1 or 2 gene. It's been so long ago that I had my test and talked with a genetics counselor I would be just guessing on the statistics. There is a website for women that carry the gene and they talk about it. www.facingourrisk.org (http://www.facingourrisk.org) I hope this site can give you more information.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Becky
11-03-2007, 09:05 AM
BC can be linked with various other cancers. One of them is ovarian cancer and this is the strongest that bc is linked to. BC can also be linked to colon cancer. For Brca 2 mutations, it could be linked to pancreatic cancer. BC is also linked to prostate cancer in male members of the family.

BC and ovarian is strongly linked for the BRCA 1 mutation (more so than the BRCA 2 mutation).

Although I tested negative for the BRCAs, I had my ovaries removed because my paternal grandmother died from ovarian cancer (and BC runs on my mom's side (including my mom - she's a survivor too but not Her2)). Didn't want to take a chance later.

Brenda_D
11-03-2007, 02:23 PM
This has been bothering me a little. I felt so bad for her and her husband. They had already gone through the BC fight, and now this.
It made me wonder if I should get a BRCA1 and 2 test. I think the scary part is how ov ca can have so few symptoms until it is already Stg IV.

If you can, please say a little prayer for this lady and her family. I don't know her name, but I talked to her husband and some family members, and she's been through so much and battling a very tough fight right now.
Thanks.

harrie
11-07-2007, 12:03 AM
I tested positive for BRCA 2 in July of 2006. I had the malignancy with double mastectomy Nov, 2006 and in Dec, 2006 I had an oophorectomy because my risk of ovarian cancer was elevated due to the BRCA2.
Maryanne