PDA

View Full Version : I NEED YOUR OPINIONS, Pap or no Pap

MichelleH
11-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Girls, I have a small dilemma and I would like your opinions or know what others of you with stage 4 ladies (and not NED) are doing.
I just got my monthly reminder in the mail today that it is time for my yearly Pap exam. My first thought was... What's the point? I have active cancer in bones, liver & lymph nodes. In a conversation with my onc a few months ago had told me that a second cancer is quit rare. What are you girls doing Pap or no Pap.
Thanks for any input.
Big hugs to you all,
Love,
Michelle

Colleen007
11-02-2007, 01:09 PM
I still go in for mine. I've been told that breast and ovarian cancers are "related", but that cervical cancer is not related to breast cancer. So, why not go in for routine screening? It also gives me a chance to see my OB and the nurses in his office that were so wonderful to me when I was first diagnosed.

Verna
11-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Michelle,
I still go every year, and you should to, after all, we are going to be around for a very long time!

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-02-2007, 01:50 PM
I know I am NED, but I can't resist. I think it is our responsibility to have annual PAP/HPV as well... They added the latter around 5 yrs ago. Good to have annual checkup too, for whatever that's worth. More input, I say. Every one (docs/nurses) have opinions, experience to share.

I still can't believe that since my '95 mastec when I go for mammog they say unilateral! A bargain rate! I had tram flap reconst but think of that area as my breast. I came home and said to Paul (the first time) I guess they think of my breast as a stomach!

I further contemplated, if GOD FORBID A HUNDRED MILLION TIMES they detected ca in my left *breast*, would they say I have *stomach* ca??? You have to laugh!!

YES. DEFINITEY PAP & TEST FOR HPV AS WELL -- YEARLY...

Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

Sheila
11-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Michelle
You need to go...unless of course you have had a total hysterectomy....plan on being around a really long time! Sending a big hug to you.....

Grace
11-02-2007, 01:58 PM
I believe I read recently that women as they age (and all their pap smears have been normal) may not need yearly pap smears. You might find somethng about this on the internet, or someone else on the board may have more information on this issue.

KellyA
11-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Michelle,

Excuse me for being so direct, and I hope that I don't make you mad, but I would want someone to say this to me. YOU GO FOR THOSE CHECKUPS AND PAPS! Never say whats the point. I know that its easy for someone else to offer advice, and I am not in your shoes, but it is so important, for so many reasons, to live life like you normally would and with every expectation that you are going to be around for a very long time, and I believe in my heart, that you will. I have no idea what the future holds for me, whether I will have a reoccurance or not, and honestly, I am often terrified thinking about it. But one day, in the middle of a "fetal position breakdown", a switch went off, and something came over me. I got very angry, and very resolute. This may kill me in the long run, but I will not go out without a fight, and I will not give away any of my time. When I think of all of the people who are doing well with cancer, it is almost always the people that continute to LIVE, and the people who continue on with life as they would have without cancer. You go for that pap smear, because it is what you would do without the cancer. You would do it because you value your life and because it is such an important thing to do. Your life and your future are no less important today than they were before cancer. To me THAT is the point, and THAT, if for no other reason, is why you should go.

Love, Kelly

Sherryg683
11-02-2007, 07:41 PM
I had my Oncologist and my Gynecologist tell me that the Pap wasn't necessary as I am getting Pet/CT's every 3 to 4 months. They said something would show up on these. I know when I get the results of my PET, they always mention the ovaries and colon and stuff. Maybe if you get regular scans they aren't as necessary..sherryg

Bev
11-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Only stage 2, but my GYN has become my primary Practioner as I never see anyone else, until BC that is. I really appreciate her as she follows me through all my travails, ( calls me at home on unrelated subjects )I think I have a Gem even though she may not have the same C treatment philosophy as me. I think it can't hurt to have more eye's looking at you.

I do not remember any studies saying a 2ND cancer is less likely. I think it was the opposite. Try to look up some of AL from Canada's posts.

I guess I'm not buying the less likely,although I haven't seen much to say more likely, so find someone you find useful to do your pap.

In summary, I think I would continue with the pap. BB

MichelleH
11-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all the input girls, I can see good reasons on both sides of the subject.

Sherry,
That nailed it right on the head of what came into mind when I got my annual Pap reminder. Seems like I'm having CAT scans every 2 months anyway, they should find new things going on then. I just heard the other day on the news that the accuracy of the test is only 50% and I'm not really impressed with it.

Kelly,
POINT TAKEN! I cried when I read you post. Your absolutely right about those who carrying on with "life as normal", they do seem to do better than those who don't. And that was the big thing that I (& my husband) had to pound into my family's (parents & sibling) heads, was that we were trying to keep life as normal as possible for the sake of sanity and especially for our two small children. So, I say thank you Kelly, for getting me back on track. Sometimes I need a kick in the butt to remind me to keep pushing forward. Thank you again!

So, I will set up that appointment.

Thank you all for your input I value all of your wise advice! I love you all!

Hugs to you all!

Love.
Michelle

KellyA
11-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Michelle,

I am so glad you wrote in. I have been so worried about what I wrote and have been worried that I may have upset you. I don't know why, but I felt so strongly when I read your post and was very concerned for you when you said what's the point. You are absolutely BEAUTIFUL, and have so much to be proud of- the fight that you have been through, your children and a wonderful husband. My heart ached for you , I think because I've had some of very same feelings you expressed, and I know how they made me feel. I don't even know you, but felt so connected to you when I read what you wrote- I had a very strong reaction, and spoke only out of love and concern, please know that. I have also told my closest friends that from time to time I might need a swift kick (or two) and so far they have been more than willing to accomodate :-). After reading what I wrote, you might like to stand in line :-).

Love, Kelly

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Kelly, You're post was not an attack but obviously a poignant perspective that you felt strongly about. I love passion! I didn't even pick up on the points you pounced on, and I immediately agreed. I hadn't delved deeply enough in to the What's the point remark. You are so very right. We must each step forward in to each day with the attitude that we will live to be 100 and die of something unrelated to bc. That's my view. I proceed accordingly.

I flinch at times when I make my mammog appt for a yr from now, or make air and hotel reservations for 6 mnths from now, or even get theater tickets for mnths from now. I think, Dare I do this? Then, my SPIRIT says YES.

And I do get PAP every yr, w/chest/abd/pelv CT scans now graduated to ev 6 mnths (w/and w/o contrast). I get tested for HPV (Human Papoloma Virus) w/PAP for at least the last 5 yrs. Does every one do that???? I lost a dear friend to cervical cancer. I don't think a scan can pick up HPVirus...

And I have transvaginal pelv sono ev 6 mnths to hear my ovaries are beautiful. I need the reassurance... So I can proceed with my plan to live for many decades to come and have Willard Scott show my pic on the Smucker's jar on the Today Show. (Saw *a couple* the other day -- he 104, she 102, married for 70 something... Imponderable!) And yet, fathomable all the same. IF ONE PERSON CAN DO IT -- SO CAN YOU! Check out my Albert Einstein quote below. Love that man. Love that attitude. Never felt more ALIVE before! Isn't Life grand????

Kelly, I too would have reread such a post and worried I'd been offensive. But I read it and was impressed w/your feisty and right on outlook! Michelle and all of us need reminding from time to time. That's what we're all here for. To keep one another on our game! Thanks for the uplifting post!! More power to each and every one of us!

Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

Sherryg683
11-03-2007, 08:20 PM
If you get pet/ct scans every 3 or 4 months, shouldn't there not be a need for a mammogram or pap. If there was cancer or something odd, surely the PET would catch it wouldn't it? I just remember that it was almost a year ago when I went in for my pap test and my Gyn told me that there really was no need since I was getting the best scans available for cancer. I don't mind going and getting them but if what would show up would be detected on a PET, then what is the use? ..sherryg

SoCalGal
11-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Hi Michelle,

I feel like you do - I don't know if I should PAP, or go to the dentist, get a haircut, do my nails, or invite people for Thanksgiving. It's all tied in to the same feelings of living with the unknown, which everyone does but everyone gets to ignore this fact. When you're in treatment it just lurks - it's always the feelings of extreme vulnerability. With STAGE 4 (of four - that always cracks me up) it is, like you said, hard to be afraid of anything else, so why bother?

I tend to do things that either make me look better (the dentist) or make me feel better (parties, pilates, shopping). And I'll probably do my annual gyn check up, just to make sure all is okay - as Chelsea Lately says -with my peek-a-choo (BTW-That's a hilarious show).

Since I can't really do anything too cosmetic due to the chemos, I just slather on the lastest and greatest moisturizer I can find. I'm like AndiBB - I wake up one way, and by the time I am ready to face the world I'm lookin' "aight". People always say I look great - which I know, they mean for a cancer girl. But they are right, considering all the crap I am going thru, I look pretty good. I have also aged quite a bit - it's part chemo poison and part side effects of no hormones. And maybe part turning 50, the new 40.

One last thing - I am getting a flu shot next week because the last thing I want is the friggin' flu. I hope there is nothing contraindicated about a flu shot on chemo. My onc said okay but what does he know?

xo Flori

hutchibk
11-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Have you been or are you on Tamoxoifen? It comes with a risk of uterine cancer which is highly and very successfully treatable. It is often identified by abnormal cells on a pap and/or through pelvic exam at the same time as your yearly pap. Not to be too sarcastic, but what will it hurt to HAVE your pap?

I just had mine last week and even though my GYN mentioned that with 30 years of normal paps, I would not necessarily need one but every 2-3 years at this point, she treats me with an abundance of caution and will coordinate with my onc whether or not to continue me on yearly exams.

Grace
11-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Michelle,

I was just watching a program on some channel where discussion was HPV vaccine, which I gather will soon be suggested for women up to the age of 45. Researcher also stated that the HPV test for cervical cancer is twice as reliable as the PAP smear and, of course, costs twice as much, but insurance will probably cover it.

The good news is that a recommendation will soon be made that boys also receive the HPV vaccine as they are carriers, and that cervical cancer could be wiped out in twenty years.

Kathy S in Tokyo
11-06-2007, 06:30 AM
I've wondered if a PAP while on chemo might have weird results anyway. This is a good question to ask at next week's appointment. Also, the CT scans might be focusing from the hips up and the techinicians looking at your top half more than the lower edge of the scan image. I know my onco looks at it all, but he prints out slices of the same part of my chest and lungs for me to put in my file because this is where the biggest changes are seen (the before and after taxol photos).

I agree trying to carry on with all the usual stuff that is life to make the most of the treatments.

Believe51
11-07-2007, 06:32 AM
The only information I can offer is my friendly opinion and I hope it qualifies. Get the pap. We already know that awareness makes us empowered and no matter what you have going on in your body we need to keep a close eye on what else may be happening. There is a point, it matters for you, that great husband, those growing children and all of us that love you. Take it from a woman who had to fight that beast!! I love you so very much Michelle. Listen to all the wise responses to that question from our fellow warriors!! Let me know how the test goes!!>>Always In Our Prayers>>Believe51