PDA

View Full Version : Switching AI's ?

sassy
11-01-2007, 11:02 PM
I have been on Arimidex for two years now with continued joint stiffness. I am interested in hearing from others who may have switched from one AI to another and had success with less side effects. I am very comfortable with my treatment plan, but would like to explore the possibility of change to improve QOL.

Thanks for any info you could share.

Hopeful
11-02-2007, 06:39 AM
I started on Femara, and developed severe tinnitus. I switched to Arimidex, and have less severe tinnitus, but occassional joint pain (mainly in my thumbs) that I did not experience on Femara. For some reason, the joint pain seems more pronounced in patients taking Arimidex. I find it easier to deal with than the ringing in my ears, so I live with it.

Hopeful

dhealey
11-02-2007, 12:48 PM
I started with arimidex and was on it 4 months and was switched to aromasin due to severe joint pain. Have been on the aromasin for about a month now with no problems yet.

Diane H
11-02-2007, 03:40 PM
I have been on Femara for about two years and it has been a painful experience - my oncologist feels that switching AI's will not be helpful and most sadly has no other solutions to offer. I have heard that Cymbalta and Celebrex have been helpful to some. Hope someone has some positive info on this subject.

Debra
11-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Sassy -

I was on arimidex and had severe joint pain. I had problems even walking down my stairs and I am only 42. I switched to Aromasin in August and it is so much better. I still have stiff knees but my pain is nothing like it was on the arimidex. It really was worth switching. My oncologist in Minneapolis even commented that a very recent study has shown aromasin to be slightly superior to arimidex so that sealed the deal with me!! I would suggest you look into the switch as my oncologist said "why suffer if you don't have to"!

sassy
11-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks for your replies ladies. Debra, did you take tamoxifin prior to AI? Was doing some research on Aromasin and it stated recommended after two to three years of tamoxifin.

I think my onc will be willing to try another AI. Will see him in a few weeks and want to have some info to present to him.

Bev
11-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi Sassy,

I've been on Arimidex for a few months now. My hands and knees do ache but not enough to quit anything.

So maybe a switch will be helpful but still have the same protective effects. BB

Debra
11-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Hi Sassy -

Yes I did start out with Tamoxifen and was on that for about 1 year but then opted to have a total hysterectomy so I could switch to an AI. So I have been on all three. It will be only two years for me on Nov. 15th since diagnosis and already I have been on those three meds! I truly have to say it again----my body feels much better on the aromasin vs. the arimidex. I really didn't know if I would have made it five yrs on the arimidex but certainly would have tried my best if that was my only option as I want all the guns available. A co-worker of mine was on arimidex about 6 months longer then I and she did say it got better. I wasn't even on it for a year and maybe I should have given it longer but as I mentioned in my previous post, my oncologist said "why suffer with the joint pain if you have another option" so that is why I switched. I didn't research aromasin prior to that but just trusted her that this was okay.

Kimberly Lewis
11-04-2007, 06:06 AM
thanks for asking this Rhonda - I started on Tamoxifen then have been on Femara quite awhile now. I struggle to walk at times and the pain has progressed. It started with feet and ankles then knees, now back and wrists! Maybe aromasin would be an answer!

Cannon
11-09-2007, 12:32 AM
If your current AI is making you miserable, why not try another? I know some people say the side effects aren't any different, but we know better than to believe that!

I took Arimidex and was crippled with pain within 2 weeks. I was willing to keep taking it, if my doctor would give me pain medication. He said, let's try something else. I said, aren't they all the same? He sais, you never know. I switched to Femara and the pain is not gone, but it's a 2 out of 10 instead of a 7 out of 10. That I can live with!

michka
11-09-2007, 06:06 AM
I started directly with Arimidex and had to stop after 6 weeks. I could not move at all in the morning and needed help even to get out of bed. I had pain in my rists, knees, feet and my back was killing me. I wanted to continue, hoping it would improve, but my onc. had me stop 3 weeks (what a relief! all the pains disappeared). I then started Aromasin. I have been taking it 4 months. It is better but not good. I can live with it at least. I have pain in my hands and feet. I still have pain in my knees and back, but less than before. So it was worth switching even if I hoped better.
Michka

sassy
11-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm at my onc's office now--waiting for bloodwork. He readily agreed to switch to Femara as soon as I'm ready. Right now I'm going to wait a couple of weeks. My GP has just switched my BP meds, trying to alleviate some more fluid, as we are trying to find a way to get me off Neurontin because of the weight gain. Its great--but my weight is steadily going up.

So the Femara will start in a couple of weeks, and we'll see what these various changes bring for QOL.

All in all, I'm doing well---I just want to be doing the best that is possible.

Thanks all, I'll keep you posted.