PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy after Herceptin?

Senorina
10-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Unfortunately I was diagnosed just two weeks after my one-year anniversary. I'm 39 now and completed chemo last August and Herceptin last month. I want to get pregnant, so I'm cleansing as much as possible. My oncologist said "The Institute" recommend 2 to 3 years, but that is toooo long.

Has anyone gotten pregnant after completion of all treatments?
Any advice?

Thank You.

theresaw
12-10-2007, 02:39 PM
I have been done with my chemo for a little over a yr, and herceptin I believe now for 6months. I got my first period in over a yr last month, and my onc told me to start thinking of birth control, however I never did before. Anyway my period has not come yet this month, it is 4 days late, my concern is am I pregnant or is my body still trying to get itself together. Should i take a pregnancy test... I don't know.

Senorina
12-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Theresaw,
When I was finishing chemo, I skipped about 4 periods then went back and have been regular ever since. The only form of birth control I feel comfortable with, since being diagnosed, is with the use of condoms. I don't trust any form of hormone-based birth control. Did your oncologist recommend one?

It is very possible your body is still adjusting, but I would definitely recommend a safe form of birth control and taking a test. Also, I have been taking Flax Seed Oil (with Lignans) for over a year (since being diagnosed), which has helped with hormone balance. You might want to look into that. (My periods are very regular).

Hope this helps.

Razzleberry
10-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Did you receive any response to your question about how long to wait after Herceptin to become pregnant? I was diagnosed right after we married. We went through IVF before chemo and have two embryos. I am researching because my oncologist told me normally she would wait 1-2 years. I am 46. I'll be done with Herceptin in November and we were targeting June (2013) to be pregnant.

I'd love to know what you heard and what you did? You post looks a couple years old ... by the way, I am in Sacramento too.

Many Thanks, Razzleberry