PDA

View Full Version : port/herceptin questions

caligal
10-27-2007, 06:24 AM
HI,

DX on 9/18. surgery on oct 9th. Quick question. How do they put the port in for chemo? Is it surgery like a lumpectomy where you are completely knocked out or what?

Also,

Is herceptin administered thru a port or in pill form or both?

Thanks from a nervous newbie

jones7676
10-27-2007, 07:14 AM
I do not know about all kinds of ports, but I was awake and "very relaxed" by medication when my port was inserted. To the best of my knowledge Herceptin is only available through an IV or port. I have not heard of Herceptin pills. Good luck!

doh2pa
10-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Hi,
My port was put in at the outpatient surgery center. They do knock you out but it is a very short surgery. My port has worked flawlessly for 2 years and it's wonderful to not have them digging for veins.

Herceptin is administered IV (not available in pill form). It can be administered once a week or once every three weeks (discuss the best schedule for you with your onc). Some feel that side effects are less with weekly since you are getting a lower dose, but I had it every three weeks and besides a constantly runny nose, had very little side effects.

Good luck. We are all here for you if you have any other questions.

Brenda_D
10-27-2007, 09:48 AM
They put me in "twilight sleep" for my port insertion. I don't remember a thing. My port area was sore for awhile and still gets sore sometimes after an infusion, but I'm glad to have it. I used it for my chemo and now Herceptin. I just used it yesterday to be put under for a colonoscopy.

hutchibk
10-27-2007, 10:45 AM
My port was put in in the hospital day surgery center. It was a very easy and short surgery. I was very mildly put asleep (being 'half beer brenda' it doesn't take much for me to fall asleep), and then I was awake within moments after we were done. The whole thing from check-in to check-out took me only about 3 hours if I remember correctly. Port insertion only took about 20 minutes. Your port can be used usually within hours of insertion if necessary. Mine healed very quickly, within several days. Herceptin is infusion only. Best of luck!

weezie1053
10-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Caligal,

I had my port installed at UVA which is a teaching hospital. I woke up with a double port. Being a newbie, I didn't questioned why I had a double port for several months. A double port is, of course, slightly larger. When I finally asked why I, unlike the majority of the patients, have a double port, I was told "Oh, it is probably what they were teaching that day." I wish I knew that was the plan as my port is slightly larger, and I would have preferred a single port. I may have been one out of 100, who knows, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd make sure I was getting the single unless my Onc had a reason for it. So ask...

Louise