PDA

View Full Version : I have the "Power"! (Port, that is)

Lolly
10-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks to our dear, departed Sandy Henry, I now am the proud, if somewhat stiff and sore, owner of a Power Port.

Sandy posted about these devices last year, and how they save one from additional sticks when needing high-speed contrast injections for certain scans. Since I have lymphedema in both arms now, these injections have become a REAL problem for me. I asked my new surgeon about the Power Port last month and he wasn't familiar with them, but promptly got in touch with the company, which sent a rep out to do a presentation.

I had the procedure yesterday, and am the first patient at our medical center to receive one!

Thanks, dear Sandy, and thanks Joe and Christine, for the knowledge gained here which helps us stay on top of our options.

<3 Lolly

Sheila
10-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Lolly
Great for you....you are one imPORTant woman at your center now...my brother told me about these, that you are able to get contrast dye injected in them etc....I also remember our dear Sandy saying how wonderful it was....I hope it works perfectly for you Lolly.

Donna
10-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Do you have green shoes to match? :-)

Have a great day!

Donna

KRISS
10-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi
I have a poer port too but no one wants to use it. Every time I go to have something done they tell me they want to save it just for Herceptin. So I have to really push. Just tell them that's what it's there for. I hope your people will listen. Congrats on being a medical first! We always new you were special!

fauxgypsy
10-26-2007, 10:01 PM
I have had mine in for several months. My first port gave me problems from the beginning but this Power Port is working great. The profile is a lot lower as well. It is not nearly as obvious as the other one was. It works great for the many of the scans. I did find that they do not use it for PET scans. good luck with it.

Leslie

Mary Anne in TX
10-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Lolly & Kriss, how is the power port different. I have a medi port and do remember some "conversation" about a power port, but I don't remember how it works and how it is different. ma

KRISS
10-27-2007, 09:21 AM
mary ann
from my understanding you can put anything in it: contrast, chemo, blood draw and other chemicals for lack of a better word. Supposedly they can also force the chemicals in quicker if need be. I could be wrong on that. But like I said earlier. So far most of my technicians refuse to use it. Saying we need to make sure it keeps working for herceptin. But one of the nicest things is the low profile. On me you really only see a very small bump.

Mary Anne in TX
10-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks, Kriss! Oh, I see....sleek, low profile, kinda like a race car! Sounds like a "great model"! ma