PDA

View Full Version : Very Proud...making a difference

Sheila
10-26-2007, 05:21 AM
One of my daughters is a nurse on the Womens Floor at a local hospital...she is actually an OB Nurse, but they also care for clean surgicals like mastectomys...this is the floor I was on when I had mine. My daughter has decided to take charge of the breast cancer support group for the area she lives in.....she has never had breast cancer, but I guess she saw the need and resources I have found in support groups. Even though they only meet 1x a month, it is still a task I'm sure as she has 3 young children. She lines up speakers, has gotton a library of books donated and spends much time researching information for these women.
I just found out that she saw a need of women undergoing mastectomys in that a soft camisole that would hold 1 or 2 prosthesis and the drains was available. She lobbied the hospital until they agreed to purchase these for use on the floor for each mastectomy patient. After seeing what a difference they made for the women, she then went one step further and now each woman automatically gets one in her size after surgery which she takes home with her....
It makes me proud that she is making a difference for breast cancer patients.

mts
10-26-2007, 05:54 AM
Sheila,

My little girl is only six years old... I only hope that she grows up to be a happy, productive person... This disease can bring out the best in people. I admire your daughter for stepping out and making a difference.
I am proud for you !

maria

Kimberly Lewis
10-26-2007, 05:56 AM
Oh Sheila how wonderful! I love to see our daughters making us proud. I just went to a BC meeting in our town and found that there are many many opportunities out there that didn't exist when I was going through my treatment! Wow - amazing how much one person can change things for the better! (even through our kids!) I'm dancing for joy cause of her and you!

Mary Anne in TX
10-26-2007, 06:05 AM
How could she be anything but wonderful with the incredible mama she has!

Patrice
10-26-2007, 06:08 AM
Sheila, I'm a new member, but have been following this forum for some time. All I can say is, your daughter has had an incredible role model. What a wonderful thing for her to do.

Patrice

Carolyns
10-26-2007, 07:33 AM
Sheila,

That is beautiful and such a kind gesture at a time of need.

I guess what they say is true, the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.

Love, Hope, Peace, Carolyn

PinkGirl
10-26-2007, 08:09 AM
That is very nice Sheila. You are a proud mom
and she is a proud daughter. This is proof that
good things can come from this nasty disease.

kareneg
10-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Oh Sheila,

That brought happy tears to my eyes. You have every right to be proud of your daughter, I am proud of her! My daughter is just 13 and she has made her mind up on being a nurse too. You have a lovely daughter and she is making a difference give her a big hug for me please.

Faith in Him
10-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Shelia,

What a wonderful, caring and compasionate daughter you have. She will touch so many lives with her kindness. You have every reason to be proud.

Mary Jo
10-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Awww Sheila,

How awesome and yes, how proud you should be. Helping others is what life is all about. Raising our children and seeing them go out and make a difference is our only goal for them I think. Who cares what they make - what they do - as long as they are responsible, good people who serve and love. Now that's what it's all about.

I'm happy for you. I can feel your heart bursting with pride (as well it should). Saying "thank you's" to God for giving you this joy in your life.

Love & hugs,

Mary Jo

P.S. I purchased one of those mastectomy camisole's (well, my insurance paid for it) after my mastectomy and it truly is a wonderful thing to have after mastectomy.

Jean
10-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Sheila,
Yes, you sould enjoy the great feeling of being proud! Thank you for sharing this with us....BUT...."The apple does not fall far from the tree"

Hugs,
Jean

DonnaD
10-26-2007, 11:50 AM
"Like Mother Like Daughter." You both have wonderful caring supportive souls. Thank her from all of us. You should be proud!
Donna

AlaskaAngel
10-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Sheila, your daughter's efforts are so representative of the true role of the nurse! "See the need, and find a practical way to meet it." Thanks for sharing such an inspiring account of her success with us.

AlaskaAngel

tousled1
10-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Sheila,

You have quite a daughter. You should be very proud of her!

Becky
10-26-2007, 02:22 PM
The apple never falls far from the tree. I am proud of both of you.

Lolly
10-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Sheila, I'm sure your daughter is as proud of you as you are of her! You are one great lady and mother, and it's a tribute to you that your daughter is such an advocate.

<3 Lolly

Vanessa
10-26-2007, 10:26 PM
I have to agree with the rest, that the apple does not fall far from the tree. You must be very proud and feel proud yourself to have raised such a wonderful daughter. My youngest daughter is planning to start nursing school in the fall.

Sheila
10-27-2007, 05:16 AM
Vanessa
My other daughter (this ones twin sister) started Nurses training this fall....she is a single parent of 2 girls and doing very well. I am very proud of her going back to school at age 32 and getting straight A's!

jones7676
10-27-2007, 06:50 AM
Sheila - Amazing mom and amazing daughters......you must be very proud!