PDA

View Full Version : Happy news

TSund
10-20-2007, 09:28 AM
We FINALLY got the sentinel lymph node report back from Ruth's surgery (right MRM) yesterday. 4 nodes taken and all clear. Stunning news and major points for TCH. If there was cancer in them originally it's apparantly been "eaten" by the TCH. Don't have all the details from the pathology report but nurse spoke to said at preliminary glance it was "just awesome" results...a few scattered cells left in the breast tissue, but tumors basically gone. The margin near the muscle completely clear. She said it doesn't get much better than this, particularly given the size and spread in breast of Ruth's cancer at dx. No guarantees, but a fantastic place to be given where we've been.

RUth has had some real grief over losing her breast, but I think the good news will help soften this blow.

I slept better last night than in some time.

Sending good vibes to all. Thanks to those who've asked about Ruth and offered encouragement. Will keep you posted.

Terri

PS she is having post taxotere leg muscle pain for first time (after 6th and last chemo), would be grateful for any helpful advice.

Grace
10-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Great News. Congratulations.

Becky
10-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Dear Terri

Fantastic news. As far as the muscle pain, I too had that. Exercise helps. Since she's just had surgery, just alittle walk around the house or lifting the legs (one at a time) up and down while sitting on the couch. I felt that movement helped more than just resting - of course she is in a spot right now with recovering from major surgery, but even so, I am sure she has been told to move around to recuperate from that too. Soaking in the tub helps but she has to be careful with the surgery for that too.

Even that will pass soon.

I am very happy for you and isn't it nice to really know that the chemo worked!!!!!!!

BonnieR
10-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Excellent!

StephN
10-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Hi Terri & Ruth -
Really great news on the path report! Losing a breast is always hard, even if one has had months to know it is going to happen (while taking the chemos), it is still a shock. Does she plan to have reconstruction?

Taxotere was very hard on me, and I felt like I had someone else's legs - not mine, but some old sickly person. I had stiffness in my knees as well as the other pains and cramps. I took Aleve for the stiffness and Neurontin for the pains as I had pain elsewhere as well.

Ruth is surely on some type of pain med now, but the holdover pains from Taxotere can continue for quite a while, so something to watch for and know that she can get relief.

A heating pad felt good on my legs for short periods.

Sheila
10-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Terri and Ruth
Although there is a loss, it comes with the great news that the nodes were clean....I am so happy for you! As far as the leg pain, I get it from Taxol...I just walk, soak in the tub or elevate my legs....be careful with rubbing them...esp. after surgery....not a good thing, it can cause clotting problems!
Heal Well and Fast!

tricia keegan
10-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Great news Terri and my best to you both!

kareneg
10-20-2007, 09:27 PM
What wonderful news I am so happy for both of you! And you are both in my thoughts and prayers everyday.

Joanne S
10-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Wow---Congrats and best wishes for continued wellness!!!

dhealey
10-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Great news!!! Best wishes for continued healing.

Mary Anne in TX
10-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Great news! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your good news!
You know the part I love the best.....the eating the cancer part!!! It was so fun to conjure up a picture of that ol' cancer being eaten by bears, coyotes, wild boars, and everything else I could picture. I even pictured the cancer screaming for mercy and being given none. I want to be around when ol' breast cancer takes it's last breath! Blessings to all, mary anne

tousled1
10-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Great news!

StillHere
10-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Terri, it is so good to hear some happy news! I hope Ruth recovers quickly and that she dosen't mourn the loss for too long. Ruth is very lucky to have such a wonderful caregiver. Peace Karen

Gina
10-22-2007, 03:09 PM
I hadn't seen you post for a while so I am glad to catch up with you. I highly recommend those climb the wall with your mastectomy arm exercises and agree that moving around as much as you can is better than just staying in bed. After a few months of recovery, another good arm exercise is a yoga pose (I forget its name) but it is the one where you put one hand over your head behind your back and try to grasp your other hand from behind your back. It took ME YEARS...no joke to have the mastectomy arm actually reach the other, but now I can do it just fine...never had lymphodema in all these years...10 since my surgery this November and I did those exercises faithfully.

Congrats and keep on keeping strong,
Gina

chrisy
10-22-2007, 03:33 PM
That's great news, thanks for sharing.

Mary Jo
10-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi Terri and Ruth,

SUPER GREAT news. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Thinks are "looking up" --- for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Hugs,

Mary Jo

madubois63
10-22-2007, 04:45 PM
I like good news!!!!!!!!!!

Jean
10-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Terri,
Amen! I was thinking of you and Ruth this week and wanted to reach out
but then I thought it best to wait to hear from you. So happy for both of
you. You both have endured so much these past months. Now enjoy your good news.

I also had the muscle reactions from the taxotere, heating pad helped,
nice warm (not hot) soaks, and of course exercise. This will last for
a while - I still have muscle cramps at different times esp. in toes.

Not a biggie - when you think of being NED....

Sending Ruth a big huge hug and wishing her a speedy recovery.
Terri - you deserve a nice comfy rest.

Hugs,
Jean

gin-tx
10-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Received your e mail about communicating with oncologist. I do not speak any other languages but English. Neither my dr or myself speak Spanish. And yes I take someone with me each visit to see onc so if I have questions that I don't understand they can interpret what I'm not clear on. Yes I'm definitely getting chemo brain. Still on herceptin every 3 weeks. This is the first time I've gone 3 months between onc visits but I can call his nurse when I have qestions. Keep in touch and let me know of your progress.
ginkott1@aol.com

Believe51
10-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Hip Hip Horray!! Thanks for sharing the news with us I really missed you. Continued strength on this journey. Sending prayers and hugs your way!>Believe51

gin-tx
10-25-2007, 05:40 PM
I hope that your husband continues to improve and his test results are better each time. We are all in this together, so keep me informed.

hugs,
ginkott1 @aol.com

Vanessa
10-25-2007, 09:39 PM
I love to hear such wonderful news. TCH seems to be a great combo. Best wishes for continued success.