PDA

View Full Version : Food column

lilyecuadorian
10-10-2007, 09:31 PM
I was wanting to add one more aspect to our visits to this site because we come here daily looking for information, sisterhood, and support. I was wondering if we could exchange our daily menu. For example, today I eat brocolli, rice and organic chicken. I don't really want to eat the samething tomorrow so I was wondering what else was on the menu? What did you guys eat, today, so I can consider it for tomorrow.

So, if you ate something different let us know so we can consider it for the next day's meal. Please, post what you ate today (especially if it was good) so we don't get to boring with the healthy foods.

madubois63
10-11-2007, 04:58 AM
I like this idea...sometimes I just can't think of new things to cook...

I am making the standard for dinner tonight - chicken soup. we had a roasted chicken the other night, so I set the leftover meat aside and boiled down the bones for my stock. I bought fresh veggies (carrots, celery, onions, peas, corn, lots of garlic) yesterday and have my herbs growing in the back (I like basil, thyme and parsley in my soup). I use brown rice pasta. I like it better than the whole wheat pasta. Not as gummy. My kids don't like the whole wheat, and they don't even notice a difference in the brown rice pasta. I put salt and pepper to taste and also some turmeric (gives it a nice golden color) and a dash of cayenne.

Last night I made Fettuccini Alfredo with grilled veggies. Grilled baby zucchini, red onions, red and green peppers, snap peas, garlic, scallions, broccoli. Again, I used brown rice pasta. I use 2 kinds of grated cheese for the sauce - Pecarino and Parmesan, fat free half and half, s & p, parsley, garlic and a dash of butter (optional - but I am also cooking for kids). You can add chicken to the mix - sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. The kids like it either way.

Believe51
10-11-2007, 05:30 AM
Yesterday afternoon I made baked skinless stuffed chicken, the stuffing was a chestnut/apple and I baked it in the same casserole dish as our sweet potato. Yummy yummy for the tummy!! It steamed up lovely and allows me to go to work today and know he has another piece of chicken to eat while I am gone. The vegetable was beets, not my favorite at all but very good for you. There were avacados with fresh ginger and thinly shaved lemon rinds for the dessert we never ate.

I went to the Breast Cancer Seminar last night and there I picked on salad, more baked chicken (not as good as mine..tehehe!!), mashed potatoes and green beans. Now that I am looking at yesterdays agenda all I can say is OINK OINK!!!

I am hoping you are feeling better My Sweet, you are certainly in my deepest prayers. And remember.....you are NEVER ALONE!!>>Believe51

PS: Awwww...now I want to go to the refrigerator and eat dessert....Aaaaah, it is 8:30 am here!!!

mts
10-11-2007, 06:03 AM
I made chunky avocado with cubed tomato salad -- I add fresh basil to the tomatoes with some slivered red onion with sea salt. Let the tomato mixture sit for a little while and "juice up". Then add the avocado.
Its good over jasmine rice. It does nto need a meat, but obviously you can add chicken if you want more Ooomph!
If you cant find fresh basil, then cilantro will work well too.

Maria

PinkGirl
10-11-2007, 07:39 AM
My hubby was out of town and I didn't have to cook.
For supper I ate a bag of Hallowe'en chocolate bars.

Karen W
10-11-2007, 08:47 AM
This is a great idea... I am always looking for healthy recipes! I will not, however, share what I had last night (it involved Panda Express). Anyway, I am always so good, sometimes I just have to eat junk.

Karen

BonnieR
10-11-2007, 08:53 AM
My goodness, where are you getting the energy to cook? Chemo often has me feeling like it is too much trouble to get upright by the end of the day! I have been taking the easy way out, buying convience foods. I feel very guilty because I used to enjoy preparing healthy meals. (I had been following Weight Watchers guidlines) But I dont have the appetite for alot of things. And the dietician has been urging me to eat the most calorie rich version of things because I was losing too much weight. ..
I have 2 more chemo sessions and hopefully after that I will be able to resume my more healthy habits for my self and my husband. Although I will miss all the cheese I have been enjoying! And ice cream!

RhondaH
10-11-2007, 09:05 AM
I do the Breast Cancer diet (I will bump it for for newbie). I also (I'm analytical) have a menu for the week which is as follows ( I make 3-4 meals a week so that I have leftovers for one night AND when I make soup, I make a double batch and freeze the extra):

W/E 10/12/07

Sun Breakfast:

*Eggs (Organic)
Toast (Organic)
Sausage (Organic and while my son LOVES meat, I usually only have 1 and he gets 2 pieces)

*Creamy Tuna Casserole
http://www.chickenofthesea.com/recipe_detail_test1.aspx?did=34

ALSO, the "Elegant Salmon Bake" is a favorite...MANY of their recipes are good
http://www.chickenofthesea.com/recipe_detail_test1.aspx?did=114

* Impossibly Easy Spinach-Parmesan Pie (My mother turned me on to ALL the "Impossible pies" they are SO quick and easy...BUT, I make my own Bisquick so as to keep everything as fresh as possible and to cut down on the preservatives. Also, MOST of my meat, bread and produce I by from farmers at the farmers market so that it is fresh and organic as well as I only occasionally use "frozen" or "packaged" food as I have a HUGE concern for processed/packaged food.
http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/Recipe.aspx?recipeId=34586

Bisquick
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,bisquick_mix,FF.html

* Meatloaf
Cranberries (Organic)
Sweet Potatoes

*AND the treat for the week...drum roll please!!!!

Impossibly Easy Pumpkin Pie
http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/Recipe.aspx?recipeId=35939

I always make a fish meal, vegetarian meal and beef/pork/liver (my mom is slightly anemic so we do liver and onions once every few weeks AND so that we each get our "favorite" meals once in a while and less complaining, we take turns on the beef/pork/liver meals) each week AND one desert (I made carmel-apple bars a few weeks ago and left out enough for each of us a couple of pieces for the week and froze the rest)
http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/Recipe.aspx?recipeId=37009

Rhonda

vickie h
10-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Oh, All That Food Sounds Pretty Yummy....
I Was Diagnosed As Being Allergic To All Grains, Except Rice A Month Ago. I Also Am Allergic To Dairy (which I Haven't Eaten In 25 Years Anyway), And Tomatoes. So My Diet Has Been Pretty Limited, But Since Eliminating Those Foods, My Depression Levels Have Dropped Dramatically, As Well As An Extra 20 Lbs I've Shed, And Alot More Energy To Boot!
I Eat Lotsx Of Fresh Vegetables, Deep Sea Fish (the Smaller Ones For Less Mercury), Organic (grass Fed Only) Meats, Nuts, Beans, And An Occasional Piece Of Diabeic Dark Chocolate. I Know That Sounds Boring, But It Has Made A Dramatic Change In My Life.
Amazing How Our Diet Affects Our Lives. The Great News Is That I Have No Osteoporosis Or Osteopenia After All Those Years Dairy Free. My Calcium Has Always Come From Dark, Leafy Greens, Brocolli, Etc.
Last Night, We Had Stir Fried Vegies With Garlic And Ginger, Baked Brown Rice, Wild Caught Salmon And Baked Squash With Nutmeg And Lemon. It Was Soooo Good.
Love And Peaqce, Vickie

lilyecuadorian
10-11-2007, 04:21 PM
well I drink today my regular fruit and vegetables juice everymornig and then went out to work with my kids ..so I stop on subway for a veggie sub and for tonigh organic chichen, rice and plantains and juice thanks for all the ideas I dont have to think too much

Mgarr
10-11-2007, 05:48 PM
I made an easy artichoke sauce from (Moosehead cookbook) one of my family's favorite - pretty good as I am married to a meat & potatoes man! I love it because its super fast/easy. Last night served over spaghetti squash.

Maybe RB will weigh in on the fats

Something like this

1/4 c butter
1/4 c olive oil
4-6 garlic cloves minced
1 140z. can artichoke hearts drained
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
fresh or dried basil (to your taste)

melt butter & olive oil, saute garlic til golden not brown add artichokes lemon & basil - simmer a few minutes serve over favorite pasta or veggie

Enjoy!

RhondaH
10-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Menu W/E 10/19/07
*Sunday Breakfast
French Toast
Bacon

*Easy Salmon
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Salmon/Detail.aspx
Butternut Squash
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Brussels-Sprouts/Detail.aspx

*Jamie’s Minestrone
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jamies-Minestrone/Detail.aspx
Bread

*Great Oma’s Potato Soup
Bread

*?

Rhonda

Jean
10-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Today was a rainy day here in New Jersey.
Worked late so when I got home I peeled a bag of organic carrots
5 large celery stalks
1 large sweet onion
3 med. size organic white potatoes (can also use sweet)

Slice all of the above in the food processor.
In soup pot I pour olive oil to coat the pot.
2 pat of butter
Add all ingrediants to pot
Cook slow for 10 min
Add 2 cups water and continue to slow cook
When veggies are soft put all into food processor and blend until smooth.
Return back to pot.
add fresh chicken stock about 4 -5 cups
Salt/Pepper
Add 1 cup light organic cream
Stir and serve with hot crusty bread and salad

Salad
Fresh spinnach
Mixed Greens
Chick peas
a wedge of red cabbage chopped
chopped Walnuts
dried cranberries
Black olives
salt / pepper to taste
Olive oil/balsamic vinegar

This meal is prepared in no time.

Jean

madubois63
10-12-2007, 03:11 AM
Vicky H - here is a site I came across while researching autism for a friend. They are finding that many children are responding to a wheat/gluten free diet. This company sells ready made pizza crusts made from brown rice flour and even brownies too...Hope this makes your life a little easier and tastier too...

http://www.glutensolutions.com/index.asp

madubois63
10-12-2007, 03:33 AM
I changed my mind about what to eat for dinner last night....My daughter loves salmon and my son loves coconut shrimp. She hates coconut and he hates fish...I love both. The coconut shrimp is the easiest...First, dip the shrimp in whole wheat flour (rice flour works too) , then dip in egg/milk mixture. I use organic coconut and whole wheat bread crumbs - mostly coconut. For a pound of jumbo shrimp. I use about 2 cups coconut and 1/4 cup bread crumbs. You can bake them, but they are much better fried and cook very quickly. I only use 1/4 inch of oil in the pan. Canola oil tastes better than olive. I find the olive is too heavy for the shrimp. My son loves them plain, I like a dipping sauce. I use (hot) sugar free orange marmalade or sometimes I make an ambrosia to dip them in. I made a batch for my birthday and they didn't even make it to the table. Everyone was eating them as I took them out of the pan!!

The salmon is easy too. I chop up garlic, onions, scallions, zuccini and green and/or red peppers. Saute in a large skillet with a dash of oil. Add teriyaki sauce (about 1/4 cup depending on how much fish/veggies your making) and 2 tablespoons honey. I like fresh ground pepper - no salt is needed because of the teriyaki sauce. Put salmon fillets in pan and cover. Cook until vegies are tender to your liking and fish falls apart easily (10 - 15 minutes).

Believe51
10-12-2007, 06:09 AM
Oh Lily how I love plantains, could you give me some fresh ideas for cooking them?? I am a certified chef but even I have some trouble with the same old recipes. My belly is grumbling already.>>Believe51

lilyecuadorian
10-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Hey Marie G ...THE EASY one is pell the green plantains and cut it on slices and then put you fry pan with oil veg o olive oil and fryed and then take out and eat with grate mazzarela cheese , peanet butter or you can eat with any other food (dont forget to ask salt to the plantains

today I doing a lentil soup with rice and chicken (organic)

Jean
10-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Maryanne,
Thanks for the shrimp receipe - will make it for din din tonight
we love shrimp also,

Jean

Marlys
10-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Here are a couple of my favorites.
Love & hugs,
Marlys

lilyecuadorian
10-12-2007, 08:49 AM
for those who want to add some little salsa with avocados there is one easy ..pell the avocados cut and a littles pieces and grate a red onions and add lime and sea salt and mixed all together .....is really good ...

Marlys
10-12-2007, 09:14 AM
I will not give up. I will divide the file into 3 parts.
File 2 and 3 should be reversed.
Love & hugs,
Marlys

ita
10-12-2007, 02:53 PM
You ladies are awesome. Dinner is the biggest roadblock of my day, everyday. I don't mind cooking at all, it's the planning that kills me. I can't thank you enough. I'll be sure to include my own recipe to add to the list soon. Right now I gotta go to my kids soccer practice.

You girls ROCK!!
Ita

Becky
10-12-2007, 04:26 PM
1 medium onion diced
1 bell pepper (any color) diced
8-10 fresh mushrooms sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Bay leaves
2 teaspoons cinnamin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 can diced tomatoes (14 - 17 oz can)
2/3 cup red wine
1 1/2 cups broth (can be chicken or vegetable - I use boullion cubes)
8 oz red or brown lentils (red makes a creamier "sauce" whereas brown lentils hold their shape)
8oz of elbow macaroni (or other similar shaped type - small shells)
1 1/2 cups of flavored white sauce (recipe below)
2 eggs
3/4 c strongly flavored shredded cheese (extra sharp cheddar, Monterray Jack)

Saute onion, pepper and mushrooms in olive oil until tender (about 5 minutes). Add tomatoes, wine, broth, spices, bay leaves and rinsed lentils. Stir well and bring to boil. Turn down heat, cover and simmer about 45 minutes until liquid is absorbed. (Sometimes, for me, this happens too quickly and I need to add more broth because the lentils (especially the brown lentils) are not soft. This does not happen with red lentils. I have never tried green lentils). Cook pasta to package directions.

Flavored White Sauce

Melt 5 tablespoons butter. When hot and bubbly, add 6 tablespoons flour. When well mixed, slowly add 1 1/2 cups milk whisking well. Add 2 teaspoons cinnamon (yes more! it is the secret ingredient. Its wildly outrageous in food that isn't sweet. 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 tsp onion powder or onion salt, 1/2 teaspoon salt (only if you use onion powder - not needed if you use onion salt) and a dash of pepper. Cook until bubbly and thickened. Take off heat.

Beat eggs with fork in small bowl. While beating, add tablespoons full of white sauce to "heat up" the eggs slowly. Then add eggs to white sauce whisking wildly.

Butter or spray with cooking spray a 13 X 9 pan. Add pasta and top with lentil mixture (fish out the bay leaves first or someone gets a surprise). Top pasta/lentil mixture with flavored white sauce/egg. Top all with shredded cheese (you can lighten this by not using cheese or just mixing the lentils and pasta hot and you're good to go). Bake at 350 about 30-40 minutes until hot and bubbly. You can premake this whole thing and put it in the frig but then you have to bake it longer since its cold.

An alternative is to make lasagna noodles and use the lentil mix (you will need to make more lentil mix than this recipe calls for) like red sauce and only use the cheese (no riotta) and layer (noodles, lentils, cheese, noodles, lentils,cheese). Add white sauce on top and cheese - bake. Serve with green salad and/or broccoli and a nice bread if you are having company or want bread too.

It takes time to prepare so it is a weekend thing but it reheats in the microwave well for a second go around another day.

This is one of my secret recipes for you

BonnieR
10-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Becky, that sounds delicious but I am exhausted just reading the directions! It was all I could do to get to the grocery store today for simple things. I look forward to the time when I have the energy to prepare something from scratch again. You are an inspiration and a reminder that it DOES get better and we can eventually resume doing the normal things that we enjoy.

lilyecuadorian
10-12-2007, 07:12 PM
tonigh I just make a hot dog (organics) and passion fruit juice ..

fauxgypsy
10-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Pink girl. you made me laugh: if Dale wasn't here I would not eat as well as I do. His mother made me an awesome coconut cake for my birthday last week and I have to confess that I had coconut cake at least once for breakfast. Night before last I sauteed mushrooms in olive oil, until they were just soft, took them up, added shrimp to the remainder of the oil, briefly sauteed it, crushed a garlic clove into this, added a quart of home canned marinara sauce, the mushrooms and a small can of tomato paste and simmered it for a little while. I served it over whole wheat pasta, with a tossed salad and a slice of whole wheat artisan bread. For breakfast Dale had oatmeal and I had eggs scrambled with a bit of cheddar served with a little chorizo left over from our Mississippi Mexican meal (Miss-Mex versus tex-Mex) a couple of days ago and a couple of corn tortillas, all topped with homemade salsa (this is not my typical breakfast, sometimes I will have cream cheese with sweet chile sauce on whole grain crackers or a grilled cheese sandwich.) For lunch we had tuna salad on whole wheat. Dale grilled country style ribs tonight (have I ever mentioned that he competed in the Memphis in May barbeque competition and once his sauce came in second place), and we shared a baked potato and a salad. We have been on a salad kick the last few days. after supper I had my omega three enriched orange juice with my nasty liquid potassium.
I am looking forward to fresh veggies from our fall garden, we have beets, kale, swiss chard, mustard, turnip, leaf and head lettuce, red onions, English peas, sugar snap peas, and carrots up and growing. I am trying my version of Square Foot Gardening, a lot in a small space. I hope we can keep the deer and armadillos out of them and that we start getting some rain. We have been enjoying tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers until the heat got them. Lots of fresh herbs.
We both enjoy cooking and gardening. It seems like one or the other of us has been sick all summer but we managed to do a lot in spite of everything. Friends gave us a lot of produce as well and our freezer is pretty full. It helps so much that we both can cook. Dale's mother had six boys and they all can cook.
Back in the summer, Dale's back was really bad, and I was still getting the TCH. I had pickles that needed slicing so bad and I was so tired. I slipped into the kitchen determined to get those pickles done. I stood there at my chopping block and started slicing them. There were so many of them and I had always sliced them myself. I stood there for a few minutes, looking at the clock, trying to figure out where I would get the energy for the task. All of a sudden I thought to myself, 'you idiot, use the food processor." My pickles are thinner this year but at least I have pickles. The minute Dale heard the processor, he came to the kitchen and helped with them.

Leslie

fauxgypsy
10-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Lily, I have been making Pico de Gallo all summer with our tomatoes and jalapeno peppers. I chop roughly equal amounts of tomato and onion finely but not in a food processer, it gets mushy then. I add pressed garlic, finely chopped cilantro to taste, a small amount of very finely minced jalapeno pepper, no seeds, lemon or lime juice, and salt. If I have avacados on hand I will use some of it to add to mashed avacades to make quacamole. I can eat this by itself.
I have also been working my way through a cookbook of international vegetable recipes. It has been interesting to try vegetables with different seasoning and in different ways. One our favorites has been a recipe with yellow and zuchinni squash seasoned with lemon, cumin, and paprika, cooked just crisp tender and served at room temp. Being from the South my first thought with squash is to add onion, a little bacon, black pepper and salt and smother it in an iron skillet until it melts in your mouth. It is just nice to approach vegetables from a different direction.

Leslie

lilyecuadorian
10-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Leslie I think pico de gallo is from nicaragua ...and just give me another idea ,I forgot about that one bean and rice with some chop onions ...you can add yucca (like potatos) and chicken or ribs really pico de gallo you can mix with everything

fauxgypsy
10-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Lily, tonight we are having another version of South of the Border. Locally made chorizo from locally grown pigs. Not very high in fat compared to commercial chorizo. Browned, seasoned with a little more cumin, black beans added. Served with homemade salsa and mixed salad with avacado. And corn tortillas.

Leslie

lilyecuadorian
10-18-2007, 08:34 PM
today I just open a can tuna in olive oil and I add some lime juice and grate red onions with rice....with guayaba juice ....Leslie you just remind me about black beans is good and healthy ....thanks

Sheila
10-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Pink Girl
I love your dinner!!!! I guess I am bad too, made a huge bowl (12 Avacados) of Guacamole then ate 1/3 of it with fresh tortilla chips from the Mexican Store.....YUM! Off to get the tums for my heartburn!

janet/FL
10-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Lilly,
Thank you so much for starting this, (I jsut saw it this morning). I have been eating just horribly the past few months and last night was my start to a better diet. My problem is I hate to cook. Particularly since my DH and I are on a different diet plan, he is diabetic, and does not like many of the foods we could eat together. Such as salmon & broccoli. He gets tired of good food after eating it once or twice, such as a tuna fish sandwich. He does like salads. I get tired of those! Right now, he is not hungry and really doesn't want to eat anything. Got to get him to the doctor!

Last night, I decided to fix a salad. DH just had a tooth pulled so wasn't eating. I used organic mixed greens, chopped organic carrots, chopped onion and fresh chopped garlic. Since I don't like salads and the types of salad dressing I like aren't good for me, I took one that I do like, a ranch dressing, and put lots of milk in it to really thin it out. I poured that on the salad. The salad was very good--until the fresh garlic and onion got to me! I added cottage cheese to try to cut the very strong taste and managed to get it down.

With the inspiration of this group, I hope to greatly improve my diet and cooking skills.

This morning, I am having organic V-8 juice. Then organic blueberries with Ezechiel flax cereal.

For those of you near a Costco, they now have organic ground beef and are trying to get in a lot more organic veggies and meat.

madubois63
10-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Sheila - we should get together for margaritas!!

I think I'll do mexican tonight. Thanks for the idea. My son went upstate to check out colleges and visit a friend, so it's just me and my daughter tonight. She loves tacos but doesn't eat beef, so I use turkey chop meat (and actually like them better than beef). I have to make fresh salsa and won't forget the guacamole!!! Yum - can't wait for dinner...

Last night, I went to a focus group for my cancer center. Gave praise and critisisms about the way they run things. The center moved from the hospital to it's own building and is fairly new. They really did a great job. The staff is amazing and all in all, none of us had anything really bad to say about the place - mostly suggestions. What does this have to do with food? Well, they served a "light" dinner for us. Besides salad and a huge fruit tray, they had a tray of chicken in a Tai peanut sauce (really yummy), scewers of sun dried tomatoes, olives, artichokes and fresh mozzerella (very yummy) and grilled marinated shrimp (even more yummy). I expected the standard potato salad and cold cuts, but this was really great. There was a lot left over, so we all took some home. My son ate some, and I get to have the rest for lunch...

Sandy in Silicon Valley
10-19-2007, 08:03 AM
I like this thread - Thanks, Lily! I love cooking & baking, even though it doesn't really make me forget that I have metastasized bc - nor do I especially see that as a goal.

It seems like the recipes & menus so far suggested are mostly Central/South American cuisine, which my pepper-loving husband and I love and make often.

My husband is vegetarian, and makes awesome enchiladas, chiliquiles, margheritas, loaded nachos; I'm the guacamole-maker - together, we've even tried our hand at homemade veggie tamales!

After a trip to Cancun & Merida, Mexico, during Dias de Independencia, we started making corn on the cob the way the locals there do, rubbed with fresh lime & then generously sprinkled with sea salt & ground chili pepper... YUM!

But I wanted to add a SE Asian dish - Pad Thai - in a vegetarian version. It has a number of steps, but it's really quick and easy, once the ingredients are assembled and prepared for cooking in a wok or deep frypan.

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title>PAD THAI </title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 2.2 (Linux)"><meta name="AUTHOR" content="Sandy"><meta name="CREATED" content="20070307;16370000"><meta name="CHANGEDBY" content="Sandy"><meta name="CHANGED" content="20070307;17020000"> <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> PAD THAI

1/2 pound dried rice noodles, 1/8 inch wide
Hot Water
1/2 pound tofu or fake meat (like Morningstar Farms' MealMakers "chicken" or "beef" strips)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup + 2 tblsp granulated sugar
1/4 cup + 2 tblsp white vinegar
1 tsp paprika
4 green onions
1/2 cup vegetable oil (more if needed for step six)
1 tsp chopped garlic
2 eggs
3/4 pound bean sprouts
ground roasted chiles or good chili powder
ground roasted peanuts
Lime wedges

Soak noodles for 20-25 minutes in enough warm water to cover them. They should be flexible and soft, but not so soft that they can be mashed easily with the fingers. Later cooking in liquid will soften them more. Drain them throughly in a colander while preparing the other ingredients. Traditionally they are left in full-length strands, but you may cut them into 8 inch lengths if you find it easier to stir-fry then that way.

Cube the tofu and/or veggie meat in ½ inch dice.

Mix the soysauce, sugar, vinegar, and paprika in a bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.

Slice green onions both the green and white parts, diagonally into 1-1/2 inch long pieces. Set aside.

Heat a wok, add the oil and swirl over the surface. Add the garlic and stir fry until light golden. Add the tofu and/or veggie meat and stir fry until glazed and heated. Add the noodles and toss lightly to coat with oil, add the "meat" and garlic ( I often do this in a larger pot since things tend to come out of the wok).

Add the liquid from step 3 and bring it to a boil rapidly, gently folding the noodles without breaking them. Reduce heat to medium and boil the mixture, folding frequently until the noodles have absorbed the liquid (a pasta server works great for this step).

Lift the noodles gently from one side of the wok. Pour a little oil along the side of the wok, then break the egg ad slip it into the oil. Break the yolk and cover the egg with the noodles immediately. Repeat this on the opposite side with the other egg. Allow eggs to cook undisturbed, over moderate heat until they are set and almost dry. Additional oil may by added if the eggs or the noodles begin to stick to the wok.

When the eggs are set and almost dry, fold them gently but rapidly into the noodles. Try not to break the noodles, which will be soft and fragile at this point. An effective way is to insert the scoop under the eggs, lift it through, and fold the mixture over. Continue the lifting and folding motion until the eggs are broken up and well distributed.

Add the green onions (and bean sprouts if you prefer them mixed in) and toss the entire mixture quickly and gently, stll avoiding breaking the noodles. Cook for about 2 minutes or until onions are tender.

Take a large platter spread with bean sprouts(if you left them out above). Spread Pad Thai from wok over top. Sprinkle ground chilies(see note) and ground peanuts over the top and squeeze lime over the top. Or serve toppings seperately for each diner to add according to taste.

fauxgypsy
10-19-2007, 07:27 PM
We went southern all the way yesterday. We had Cranberry beans. I chopped a half slice of locally made bacon, sauteed it with some finely chopped carrots, onion and garlic, put it all in the crockpot with the beans and cooked it all day. I would have added celery but I was out. Then I indulged myself and served it with fried potatoes, not french fries, fried until they are soft, and crispy, almost scrambled. I only do the fried potatoes a couple of times a year but I love them. Served it all up with sweet banana peppers from the garden, sliced onion, and hot corn bread. I have eaten healthier but not much better.

Leslie

lilyecuadorian
10-19-2007, 07:44 PM
well I eat today for lunch just a green lime soup , I open a green lime can and put it to boil with water and add some chesse and little of milk and 1 egg ...some salt a pepper and serve with rice ...I love rice LOL and passion fruit juice and for dinner grill one plantain and after it was cook for 30 min I eat with some cheese and a little of peanut butter ....and again some passion fruit juice

Sandy in Silicon Valley
10-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Hola, Lily!

Your green lime soup lunch sounds yummy - but I'm unfamiliar with green lime in a can... is it whole preserved limes, or lime syrup/juice? Where can I get some - what brands do you know of?

On a reality note: sometimes I'm just lazy, and eat whatever is around. This morning's breakfast was coffee with whole milk, an oatmeal/choc chip/raisin/ walnut/coconut cookie I made the other day, and about 1/2 cup of pasta/ veggies/ vodka-tomato sauce/ cheese casserole left from last night - cold! Not the healthiest b-fast ever, but very yummy and filling...

(((hugs)))
Sandy in Silicon Valley

StephN
10-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Guess I will chime in here after reading all the great food ideas and recipes.
Our power was out on Thurday night here (fierce wind storm) and we had to go towards town to find a restaurant with power. Back on by morning, thank the Good Lord. Had Yakisoba and tea.

I only buy ground beef from a beef grower that comes to the farmer's market. It is SO good and flash frozen right after packing. I also get top sirloin steak from him that is SO tender for grass fed and low fat.

When I am tired or it is hot (in summer) I fix ground lamb (natural raised from southern Oregon - just ground in front of me). Last night I added a touch of curry, some onion, pinch of garlic granules, and a few dashes of Worchestershire sauce. Had those patties on whole wheat buns from one of the organic bakeries in the islands here. I had a little slice of real Swiss cheese on mine.

Cubed up half an eggplant and added the last of my little patio tomatoes with generous dollup of organic olive oil and herbs of Provence.

Naturally we had some (3) samples of just arrived Bordeaux to try. Interesting to see how the wine from the same producers will change a bit from vintage to vintage. Our favorite was from a property new to our market.

Ended with sharing a Comice Pear from one of our trees. We harvested about a week ago. So juicy and sweet!

Believe51
11-01-2007, 07:34 AM
I ate chocolate and nuts for dinner, healthy huh?? It surely gave me the comfort that I thrived to find last night. Not my normal eating pattern but I did like the freedom of rebelling!!! I am a rebel WITH a cause..tehehe!!>>Believe51

PinkGirl
11-01-2007, 10:42 AM
I didn't eat supper last night. But, before supper and after supper, I ate
Hallowe'en candy.

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-01-2007, 12:23 PM
TONIGHT I MADE RESERVATIONS. No joke. I will order a salad w/balsamic vinaigrette dressing (maybe add a little bleu cheese) and their special -- lobster nail, 1 stuffed shrimp and a crab cake, w/basmati rice and Spinach Maria (some very slightly creamy ramekin of delicisousness). I will eat half and take half home. I will not have dessert. Never. No sugar. I will have a glass of cabernet.

I do not cook. Sorry. No recipes to share. Unless I check out my yellow plastic bag of good recipes to pass on. I am known for my cranberry relish. Should I find it??? Cranberries are at their sweetest right now! I make this for Thanksgiving every year. Used to make Ritz cracker stuffing I get rave revues for. Any one interested? That's all I got folks. Pretty much... GREAT THREAD LILY! If I get the urge to cook, I'll remember to look here! WE SHOULD COMPILE A FINGERLICKING COOKBOOK of recipes for EATING WELL ANDLIVING WITH CANCER. I just love all you gals... YOU DO IT ALL!
Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

Vi Schorpp
11-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Oh Pink Girl....didn't you also have a bag of chocolate on the 11th (see your post on page 1)...but you didn't have dinner, so I guess it's a draw.
I smile when I read your input!

PinkGirl
11-02-2007, 09:43 AM
I don't eat as poorly as you might think, but I do have a sweet tooth.
It's genetic - if something is too sweet, we just drink more cold milk with
it. Anyway..........I do cook healthy meals most of the time, but they are
"ordinary" meals.....chicken, beef, broccoli, carrots, salad (ice burg lettuce or romaine), fresh veggies from the garden (tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, herbs, yellow beans)

I have two questions: What is a plantain? What is green lime soup? Third question: I don't know what you're supposed to do with an avocado. I'm not
even sure what they look like but I know I can buy them at our one grocery store. I think they are green and bumpy.

Vi Schorpp
11-02-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm interested in the Ritz cracker stuffing with Thanksgiving around the corner. My family loves my stuffing, but I'm always on the look-out for other variations. And thanks in advance.

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-02-2007, 11:21 AM
CRACKER STUFFING -- for 20+ pp

6L Ritz boxes (Total 24 sleeves) hand crushed in large
bowl
Add 3-4 qts milk and stir w/crushed cracker pieces
8L white onions -- peeled, sliced and sliced again several
times
Saute in butter -- let cool and chop
2 boxes mushrooms -- washed, sliced and sliced again
Saute in butter
12 broiled hot/spicy sausages -- cooked and cut up in
small pieces
Stir EVERYTHING together w/excess butter from saute
pan -- go for it...

Add to taste: Lawry's Seasoned Salt
Ground black pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
8 egg yolks -- well beaten
8 egg whites -- well beaten
1 stick melted butter (cooled)

Fill 2L casseroles (I use disposable) -- 3"+ high
Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Cool, seal and refrigerate.
Reheat next day (after flavors have melded) at 350
degrees for 45 minutes.

Scoop some cooked stuffing into turkey and cook w/turkey -- for *inside* stuffing (different texture).
I prepare *outside* stuffing.

Serve in pretty bowl, w/large spoon...

1 yr I used Doxee Clams (drained) instead of turkey sausage. Every one loved it, until they heard *clams*...

The original prize winning recipe was for CLAM DIP:
Crushed Ritz crackers
Grated onion (which I chose to sautee but you
needn't)
Seasonings to taste as above
Doxee Clams (drained)
Heat in casserole at 350 degree oven
Serve w/crackers of your choice (Ritz, Wheat Thins,
whatever)
GUESTS TYPICALLY FORGO THE CRACKERS AND ASK FOR A PLATE AND FORK. (Very popular favorite often requested of me.)

So much to be THANKFUL for...

With love,
Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

Carolyns
11-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi Andi,

Am I reading the clam dip recipe correctly? Crackers, onions and clams? Is that it or did I miss something. I want to make it.

Carolyn

lilyecuadorian
11-02-2007, 04:59 PM
WELL ,I own a explanation to Sandy from valley what is green lime in a can, and where can I get it? is a green lima bean soup put in a pan to boil like 30 minutes and add some cheese, a eggs and salt & peppers
well Pinkgirl this what you can do w/plantains:4 green plantains
2 cups vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Peel plantains and cut into 1-inch thick rounds.

Heat the oil in a small saucepan until hot but not smoking. Drop the plantain rounds into the hot oil 3 or 4 at a time and cook until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Set each fried plantain on a flat side, and using a rolling pin, frying pan, or whatever else you think will work, squash it as flat as you can. It should have a circular shape. Return the flattened plantain sections to the hot oil 3 or 4 at a time and cook until the entire surface is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove the plantains from the oil, drain, and season liberally with salt and pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature.
and you can get from any spanish store or american too(international area)OR you can go to this site : http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_31486,00.html?rsrc=like

and the avocado ...you can do too manys things ...make little pieces and add some green limes and some cilantro plus a grated red onions mixed with everything you can add to sanwiches or rice is a good cholesterol ...
today I ate chicken with yuca ,rice and avocado salsa and a papaya juice ...still thinking about my dinner...http://gfx1.hotmail.com/mail/w2/emoticons/pizza.gifhttp://gfx1.hotmail.com/mail/w2/emoticons/coffee.gif I just kidding about pizza ...maybe a banana and some good juice

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Okay. I checked it out.

CLAM DIP (can stuff mushrooms w/it if you'd like or serve as a casserole/dip w/crackers)...

2 sleeves Ritz crackers (crushed)
1 lemon -- squeeze juice out
2 8-oz cans Doxi minced clams AND JUICE (not drained)
1 onion (grated) or sauteed in butter
Put in dish and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes
(Should be loose)

A friend tried white clam suace w/minced clams

COLD CLAM DIP
1 8-oz can Doxi minced clams (reserve 1Tablespoon to soften cream
cheese)
1 3-oz cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon scallions or onions chopped
l/2 teaspoon Worcestshire Sauce
Can add whipped heavy cream w/juice of 1 lemon
Mix in clams last
CHILL

ALTERNATIVE COLD CLAM DIP
1 8-oz can Doxi minced clams (drained)
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon minced onion
1/2 teaspoon sale
ground pepper
garlic powder
1 teaspoon Worcestire Sauce
Mix and CHILL

ENJOY! LET US ALL KNOW WHICH YOU TRIED AND HOW IT WAS, PLEASE...
Andi

Vi Schorpp
11-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks so much for the dressing recipe...I know that took you a lot of time. I will make this eventually and let you know how it turned out.

Vi

cafe1084
11-05-2007, 05:49 PM
My sister and I love to have weekend dinners together and we share the cooking tasks. This weekend, I found a recipe for a soup that I was really unsure of...until I tasted it! It was so heart-warming and healthy, and it's my new favorite soup! The recipe is listed below:

1-1/2 Tbsp. Promise Butter Spread or Smart Balance spread
1 medium leek (pale green and white part), sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups peeled, seeded and diced butternut squash (about 1 small)
1 small carrot, chopped
4 cups no fat, reduced sodium chicken broth
2 cups baby spinach leaves leaves, coarsely chopped
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. EACH salt and ground black pepper

In 4-quart saucepot, melt Promise Butter Spread or smart balance spread over medium heat and cook leek 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in squash and carrot and cook 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in spinach, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Simmer covered 2 minutes.

I also made a salad with diced mango, diced apple, baby spinach leaves, dark seedless grapes, unprepared/pre-packaged coleslaw mix, and sliced almonds with a light spray of blush balsamic vinaigrette. She roasted a turkey breast loin and steamed some green beans with red peppers. Very good eats!

For avocado, because I saw a question about it earlier in the post:
I never really knew what to do with them either, but my sister's husband who is from guatemala says that you should eat avocado with every meal. They slice it up and it is served on the plate with the other food, the way most people do rice, pasta, or potatoes. The taste is not overwhelming and it is high in fat, but a good fat that unclogs your arteries and reduces your cholesterol. I find it interesting that if you use only 1/2 of the avocado, leave the seed in the other half and it will keep. Take the seed out and it goes bad very quickly.

hutchibk
11-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Andi BB- Cranberry relish, YES YES!!

Sheila
11-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Pink Girl
Avacados are green and lumpy, but so are cucmbers, just different shapes! I love homeade guacamole, made like this: ( I make alot at a time)
10-12 Ripe Avacados
2-3 Limes
1 Lg Sweet Onion Chopped<O:p></O:p>
2-3 Tomatoes Chopped
1/2 - 3/4 cup jalapeno slices chopped
2 Pkgs Guacamole Seasoning Mix (I get at Jewel)<O:p>

Halve and scoop avacados. Mash with hand masher, Squeeze juice of limes over avacados and stir. Add chopped ingredients, stir. Add seasoning and stir. Place in bowl, place washed pits (2-3) in center to keep Guac. from turning. Cover with saran wrap. Chill. Serve with tostado chips.
I Love the homeade ones from the Mexican Store Here...I also take the guacamole and put it on rye bread with hot pepper chees and sprouts....yummy...I used to eat that every day from the health food store!
Oohhhh , now I'm hungry....maybe spinach artichoke dip......another favorite!

hutchibk
11-05-2007, 08:30 PM
You are making me hungry, Sheila - I love my avocados and guacamole!! Can't wait for San Antonio and some wonderful mexican food. Although we have some wonderful mexican food here in Austin, one of my fav restaurants in the whole world is in SA...

juanita
11-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Hey, I got 2 avocado pits to grow. I have 2 small trees growing. Can't wait to see if they produce anything. I have cereal everynight. Easier for me. I am looking for sourdough bread recipes. I have the starter, but you can eat only so many loaves of the white bread. Anybody got any?

PinkGirl
11-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Thank you LilyE and Sheila,

I just realized that in my "ordinary, slightly isolated" life, I have never been to a Mexican restaurant. I will put that on my list of things to do in the big city.

I believe that I once saw guacamole when I was about 10 years old and wouldn't taste it. Would it seem right that a kid would say that it looks like barf? Anyway, now that I know they are the green, bumpy things that aren't cucumbers, I might make some guacamole for Christmas. After that I might tackle articokes..........hmmmm.......don't think I know what they look like either.

Sheila
11-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Pink Girl
I wouldn't eat artichokes or avacados if there wasn't other things with them...I can see that you thought guac was disgusting...kind of what I thought with the spinach artichoke dip...but them I tasted it and loved it.....also with homemade tortilla chips!

lilyecuadorian
11-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Do somebody try tamarind juice ? in my country, we belivie that tamarind clean the liver ...is a fruit from a big tree ....normaly we used for jucies ...I love it and now because I'm on Trial Trastuzumab-MCC-DM1 and I hear that suppose to be toxid to the liver .....so from now on I going to drink tamarind and papaya, both have the same effect cleaning the liver ...

Kathy S in Tokyo
11-08-2007, 06:17 AM
This is timely Lily, I was just looking around for liver cleaning foods to try to stay healthy while on Taxol. I will look around Tokyo to see if I can find any tamarinds (I can get papayas fairly easily.)

lilyecuadorian
11-08-2007, 06:47 AM
Kathy dont worry ..for sure you will find out easy overthere because asian used a lot the tamarind for make dishes and overhere you can find tamarind on asian grocery store and just a note the papaya is great but is expencie. overhere is a luxury

Believe51
11-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Girls I love homemade guacamole too only I use fresh CILANTRO in the mix (probally in the dry mix Sheila buys). Brenda, meet me at my place and bring the girls, I am hungry too.>>Believe51

Believe51
11-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Girls I love homemade guacamole too only I use fresh CILANTRO in the mix (probally in the dry mix Sheila buys). Brenda, meet me at my place and bring the girls, I am hungry too. Our granddaughter is coming tonight, she is 4 and looks forward to cooking for Grandpa Ed. Tonights menu WILL include guacamole thanks to you getting me going.>>Believe51

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Hey Butch! Sorry, Brenda, I saw someone post calling you Butch -- from Bhutch I guess. You are so not Butch Babe! Any way just accidentally caught your request for CRANBERRY RELISH. My pleasure...

Buy fresh cranberries -- 4 12-oz packages in November, at their sweetest. You can freeze for future.

3 darkest red apples you can find -- cut up, slice and core -- THEN chop
1 yellow/slightly pink apple -- cut up, slice and core -- THEN chop
2L navel oranges -- remove pits -- THEN chop (reserve 1/8 peel for chopping)
4 dark tangerines -- remove pits -- THEN chop
4 12-oz pkgs cranberries -- wash and rinse in colander -- remove stems -- THEN chop
Add 3 cups of sugar

STIR ALL TOGETHER and REFRIGERATE.
I pour in to plastic containers w/tight lids.
Best made in advance -- allowing favors to comingle.

Every year at least one dghtr and niece calls me for recipe. Lost last yr's...
BIG FAVORITE. Good for over a wk...
Serves 20+.

As every good *cook* knows -- always had love!
http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06Andi

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Must share my Friend-The-Caterer's TURKEY THE FAST WAY recipe. Succulent.

Fresh-killed (ordered in advance) 25-lb TURKEY -- wash inside and out and reserve innards for gravy. Rub turkey w/butter all around.

Stuff and pin closed
Place in L roasting pan on put on lower rack in 450-475 degree oven -- breast side down/covered w/foil for 1 1/2 hrs.

Turn and cover and cook for another 2 1/2 hrs. UNCOVER for last hour!

Baste often w/drippings.

I'll post the GRAVY FROM MY MOTHER recipe separately...

The bestest! Something else to really be thankful for...
Andi

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-08-2007, 01:42 PM
TURKEY GRAVY

Add to boiling water: Carrot chunks, celery chunks, onion wedges +
giblets, neck, etc. from turkey. RESERVE LIVER FOR 1 HR...

Season boiling mixture w? Seasoned salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, garlic chips, broken bay leaf.

Bring to second boil. Cover on lower flame.

Cook 2 hrs. Add LIVER AFTER 1 HR.

Cool, strain, chop -- and reserve liquid.

Collect turkey drippings with baster. Skim fat off top.
Add chopped gravy meats and vegetables
Add sauteed and then chopped onions (2)
Add lightly sauteed and then chopped mushrooms (2 boxes)
Add reserved liquid
Add about 2 Tablespoons of flour mixed w/ about 1/2 cup of water -- to thicken
Stir all together in pot on stove till perfect.
Like a meal unto itself! Scrumptious.

Serve in gravy boat w/ladle for sliced turkey...
Andi

Mgarr
11-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi ladies,

I tried a new recipe the other night. My favorite kind - a quick nutritious dish.

1 can wild alaskan salmon
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 c frozen peas
diced onions
dill weed (to your liking)
1 tsp. flour or cornstarch
1 tbsp. butter
brown or wild rice

melt butter saute onions. mix yogurt w/ with flour on low heat stir in yogurt , then salmon and peas. Add dill weed simmer for short time serve over rice.

Joan M
11-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the recipes.

I get home very late from work, so I'm always trying to prepare some meals for the week over the weekend or instead I cook something quick when I arrive home in the evening. I work from home on Tuesday, so that helps. (I don't work that late, generally leaving the office between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m., but I have a long commute and that's really the problem.)

I eat a lot of brown rice. I also broil or bake fish, such as salmon, flounder and sole.

I eat a lot of salad. I wash and cut up red tip lettuce, radicchio, and endive, for example, spin out the water and put the salad in a container in the refrigerator, which is easier than trying to make a salad when I come home late.

I also make a lot of stir-fried food, with fresh vegtables and sometimes boneless chicken breasts.

This is all very quick cooking.

On the weekends I make a large pot of tomato sauce, which I freeze in smaller containers. I use organic crushed tomatoes and organic tomato paste.

Sometimes when there's not much in the pantry, I slice and fry up a yellow platano, drain it, and make an omlette out of it. That's quick. I use organic canola oil and organic eggs.

hutchibk
11-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey all who are using the Ritz Crackers in recipes - read the ingredients and you will find at least two of the yuckiest things that are often found in the boxed foods... Partially Hydrogenated Oil (wretched for a healthy body and should be avoided at all costs) and High Fructose Corn Syrup (also wretched and should be avoided at all costs). Just FYI.

Joan - you and I are dietary sistas. And I love my organics (including meats and dairy), whole and ancient grains and brown rice, fresh veggies/salads, and deep water fish. I try and afford as many organics as possible when shopping. I often err towards locally grown at the farmer's market, too - often a little cheaper...

juanita
11-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Anyone know of a way to make a warm spot for bread to rise? I started a sourdough starter a few months ago. While it was warm outside I had no problem. But now that it's gotten colder it doesn't rise very well. I live in an OLD farm house and it is never really that warm in here during the winter. So how do I make a warm place for it to rise?

Believe51
11-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Try using a heating pad but do not let it touch the dough. Place it on top of the bowl after first covering it with think dish towel (it will NOT get soggy if it is a towel, not Saran Wrap). When I do holiday baking I use a HEATED BLANKET that I place on top of Rubbermaid totes and I have a special bread blanket to cover it with first!! Wow that is a lotta bread!! Tehehe!>>Believe51

PinkGirl
11-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Hi Juanita

When I make bread, I preheat my oven (on low) and then
shut if off. That's where I put the dough to rise - covered
with a towel. I also put a small bowl of warm water in the
oven with it.

You can also sit the dough on top of the stove, covered with a towel. Then put your oven on low, and leave the oven door open.

lilyecuadorian
11-27-2007, 08:57 AM
oh Pink Girl thank u for many secrets ..now I'm block w/ideas what to eat ...this is one of the hard part of all this ...what to eat everyday ....

juanita
11-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the hints! I make it again on Thursday so I'll let you know what works.

SoCalGal
11-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Flori’s Brisket Recipe – best prepared 2 days in advance<o></o>

<o></o>
(1) 4-5 pound whole brisket
(6 - 7) yellow onions
One can beer – regular size
Misc. seasoning (rub lightly with olive oil, then salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, Lawry’s seasoned salt, or whatever seasoning mix you like for meat)
(6) White potatoes
(6) Large carrots
1 large (turkey size) baking pan – oval or rectangle aluminum foil type okay<o></o>
Preheat oven to 350

<o></o>
peel onions and cut each into 6 wedges
put all onions in bottom of pan
heavily season both sides of the brisket
lightly season the onion wedges and toss around the pan
put the brisket in the pan – cover with a thin layer of the onions
pour the beer in the pan – pour down the side (not on top of the brisket) so it doesn’t wash away all the seasoning
cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake in a 350 oven for 3-4 hours (depending on size of brisket)
cut the potatoes & carrots into chunks and add them 1 hour before the brisket will be done
take the brisket out of the oven and let sit uncovered for 15 minutes.
slice a piece and TASTE A PIECE OF THE MEAT AND GRAVY. Adjust any seasonings now (add salt or garlic maybe). Cover the meat only with foil, tightly and put it in the refrigerator
put the carrots and potatoes in a separate dish, cover tightly and refrigerate.
put the gravy in another Tupperware, refrigerate. IF YOU USED A BAY LEAF, REMOVE AND DISCARD IT.<o></o>
The next day the gravy will have an orange hard layer on the top. This is all fat and you should remove and discard it. Then, reassemble the meat, the potatoes, and carrots into a large glass Pyrex, or another square foil pan and dump all the gravy & onions on top. Cover tightly with tin foil and Reheat it on a low light (325 – 350 degrees) for about one hour or so, until it is hot and juice is boiling lightly. Then serve. Put the brisket on a platter, surrounded by carrots, onions and potatoes. Serve the gravy in a gravy boat on the side. ENJOY!

lilyecuadorian
02-04-2008, 09:46 PM
If you have a BJ's close ...they sale a "crab meat gourmet Dip" really good ..deliccios is not a imitation ...and is soo creamy ...smell good ..with bagel's cracker's etc ...I' going to my country Ecuador for 7 days ..so I will eat some of "ceviche" fish ...shrimp, etc ...just fish and vitamin D3 ...if I get lucky with the sun ....

Bill
02-06-2008, 10:18 PM
A few splashes of soy sauce, lemon juice, dill weed, garlic, onion powder, celery salt in a big skillet, and some butter, if you want. Simmer it until it looks and smells right, then throw in some salmon (or cod, or haddock) and coat both sides. Flip the fish all around with a spatula like you know what you're doing and once in awhile grind a small amount of black pepper into it, saying, "oh yeah, there we go". Once you think the fish is done, turn down the heat and throw in twice as much fresh spinach as you think you'll need, cover it then check it in five minutes, and then toss the mixture and add some shredded swiss cheese while saying," oh, yeah, that's what I'm talking about" , and remember, as you serve your guests, it's all in the presentation. Love, Bill

BonnieR
02-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Bill, you should have your own cooking show!!

Bill
02-07-2008, 05:27 PM
That's funny, Bonnie! Nicola used to call me "cookie", and said I was a natural chef, lol.

hutchibk
02-23-2008, 04:18 PM
2 pounds ripe purple plums (http://www.soupsong.com/fplum.html), washed, cut in half, and pitted
1 6-inch thin strip of orange zest (http://www.soupsong.com/fcitrus.html)
1½ cups orange juice (http://www.soupsong.com/fcitrus.html)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (http://www.soupsong.com/fcinnamo.html)
1/2 teaspoon cardamom (http://www.soupsong.com/fcardomo.html)
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (http://www.soupsong.com/fclove.html)
1/2 cup honey (http://www.soupsong.com/bflavor.html)
1/2 cup plain yoghurt (http://www.soupsong.com/bthicken.html#dairy)
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (http://www.soupsong.com/bflavor.html) Garnish: Spoonsful of yoghurt (http://www.soupsong.com/bthicken.html#dairy) swirled in each serving
Mix the plums, orange zest, orange juice, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and honey in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, till the fruit is very soft.
Purée the entire contents in a blender, skins and all. Stir in the yoghurt. If you plan to serve it cold, chill in the refrigerator for several hours.
When ready to serve, add more orange juice, if you like, to achieve your preferred consistency. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, then ladle into small bowls. Swirl a spoonful of yoghurt into each portion as a garnish.

Jackie07
02-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Yummy! We need to continue this thread every day, so it will be visible for more people to contribute their recipes.

Bill
02-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Wow, Hucklebuck, that sounds great. I've gotta try that.

ElaineM
06-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Hi,
Great idea !! I saw alot of posts about food, curcumin and other supplements. We need a regular food, healthy recipe column and a column about supplements, herbs and other kinds of complementary integrative medicine. Alot of the big hospitals that help people with cancer have departments devoted to those topics.

vickieh
06-07-2008, 06:50 PM
sounds great!

Bill
06-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Toss a little Smart Balance oil into a pyrex pan, (woke you up, didn't it, RB?) slice a little onion into it, grind in some black pepper, and then dice some fresh garlic into it and stir it up. Set the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (8 and a half million degrees Centigrade) and then stroll onto the back porch and clip a little Greek oregano from your balcony garden which I TOLD YOU TO PLANT LAST YEAR. Drift back into the house at your leisure, plop onto the couch and munch a few hot wings, crank up your favorite Jack Johnson CD, and then whenever the mood strikes you, slip back into the kitchen and chop up some carrots and radishes, and 'taters, and throw 'em into the pan and cook them until they're done. Throw in a little of that fresh oregano halfway through and maybe another drop of oil, and get back to the couch as quick as you can, nibbling hot wings.

BonnieR
06-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Summer's here. Time for CANTALOPE SOUP!

2 cantalopes, chilled
1/4 C. OJ
i tsp chopped gingerroot
1/2 C. Buttermilk

Scoop melon and place meat in blender. Add rest. Blend. If melon was cold, serve immediatly. Else, chill.
80 calories, no fat.