PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone Im a newbie Tykerb & Xeloda

Denise La.
10-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Hi Everyone,
Im a newbie to posting I start tykerb & xeloda on Mon. any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to chatting with all of you. Thanks Denise

hutchibk
10-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi Denise - from the experiences of some of us who have been on T/X for a few months now:

1. eat as fresh and clean and healthy as possible. Drink lots of water and healthy tea and juice. Steer clear of milk if you are experiencing diarrhea. Exclude sodas, fast food and boxed/bagged junk food and snacks from your diet. It can make the difference between unmanageable diarrhea and preferred "normalcy and regularity". Also, many have experienced great help from yogurt/acidophilous products which help keep the stomach and intestines bacterially balanced. Bentonite clay once a day can also help absorb excess water that is held by the bowel...
2. the first few cycles, keep the kitchen stocked with BRAT diet items as back-up while your body gets used to the T/X combo (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast). Revert to these items in tandem with immodium as necessary to keep any severe diarrhea under control.
3. Watch for rash. Some people get it worse than others. Mine only lasted about 2 weeks and was limited to dry patches on my cheeks. If you do get a bad rash, there are several options your doctor can use to mitigate it. (Let me know here by posting and I will re-post the info from an informative brochure that Joe shared with us...)
4. It is a good idea to start lotioning your feet and hands often, now, if you don't already. (I have found one called Brave Soldier Friction Zone for my feet that is amazing. I use it about 3 nights a week and wear socks over it. Some have found Ahava to be wonderful for them) Some here have experienced severe hand/foot syndrome. I have only had a couple of sore toenails. Lotion will keep especially your feet from drying and cracking, which is hard to correct after it has started. Hand/foot syndrome is a result of the chemo leaking out of the tiny capillaries in our feet and hands and irritating the surrounding skin.
5. Don't drink or eat any grapefruit products.
6. Don't take any supplements or vits with folic acid in them, most noteably multivitamins and B complex. (folic acid can worsen side effects).
7. Take B6 supplements (100-150 mg a day - I take 50 mg with each meal) to help contain and mitigate the hand/foot syndrome. This is really important.

That is all I can think of for now. Hope this helps.

Don't be afraid of starting it like I was... I sat on the couch for a week when I started taking it, just waiting to get really sick (nauseous, which I haven't at all) or for my body to explode. I have to say, this is the easiest regimine that I have had so far, but everyone is different. I feel pretty darned normal, just a tiny bit of fatigue from time to time. It is just a matter of seeing how your body reacts to it and taking measures to mitigate the side effects.

Denise La.
10-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Hi Brenda ,
Thanks for the info . I will let you know how it goes this next week Im anxious to get started so I can kick this cancers butt again. Im going out now to find the foot cream you suggested, my feet stay dry anyway (I hate wearing shoes I live on the lake so i like the sand) . Thanks again $ the 411. Denise

hutchibk
10-05-2007, 11:38 AM
You can find Brave Soldier online, but I think it is fairly pricey. It is a line of men's skin care products... Friction Zone seems like it will last a long time since it takes very little to cover my feet. There is one salon here that I know of that sells it. It was given to me by a friend who is a skin lotion freak and a life long jogger, with dry feet issues. It is pretty amazing.

Carolyns
10-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi Denise,

I just wanted to say welcome and wish you well on your treatment. Please keep us posted.

Love, Hope, and Peace,
Carolyn

dhealey
10-06-2007, 02:29 AM
Denise, welcome and here's to kicking cancer in the butt! Keep us posted on your progress. Best of luck!

Denise La.
10-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the support . Started meds on Mon. feeling fine just a bit queasy from taking so many pills (ugh) how do some of you take yours ? I took Tykerb 5 pills
and Xeloda 4 pills in am then xeloda 4 pills pm can I take Xeloda am then Tykerb lunch time then Xeloda pm ? I also started the lotion regime thanks again Brenda for the advice . I wasnt able to find BSFZ but got something from Bath & Body called Lay it on Thick a bit greasy but ok. Live & Love Strong

doh2pa
10-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Hi Denise,

Yes, it is a lot of pills to get down at once. But it's a small price to pay cause this regimen has been working wonders for many of us on this site.

I take the xeloda right after breakfast and dinner. I have a second cup of coffee at work and try to finish it by 9:30 a.m. so that I take my Tykerb at around 11:30 (2 hours after last meal) and have to wait and hour to eat so lunch is about 12:30 or 1. Find a schedule that works for you and try to stick with it, so you can remember.

Good luck

hutchibk
10-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi Denise, be sure and take your Xeloda either with a meal or within 30 min of eating, I take mine with my breakfast and dinner. Then, I take my Tykerb at night a few hours after dinner and an hour or so before bedtime. Take Tykerb at least one hour before or after eating (but probably two hours is better as Donna said), but NOT with a meal. Keep us posted.

Denise La.
10-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the info its very helpful as the directions I got from onc. were not quite as specific.
Thanks

hutchibk
10-09-2007, 08:46 PM
It is very new for most oncs... I was my onc's first patient on T/X. He is learning alot from me!

Becca
10-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Brenda, I also was my onc's first patient on T/X, and like you he often asks me questions about it. Recently he was surprised with how dark my freckles are--I told him it is from the Tykerb (info I picked up on this sight). Thanks for all the hints you have posted to deal with side effects of T/X. I was taking 100mg B-6, but am increasing it to help with the inflamed nails. Becca

Denise La.
10-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi Ladies,
Well its been a week and I feel great all blood work looks good, I hope this keeps up .
Thanks for all the tips and support. denise