PDA

View Full Version : Adjuvant Lapatinib - TEACH Study

Lilly
09-28-2007, 04:33 AM
Hi
I am about to start on the TEACH study. I collected my pills from the hospital this afternoon. I'm really hoping that I have been given Lapatinib and not the placebo.
If I come out in the rash I'll be quite excited so I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.

hutchibk
09-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Here's hoping and praying you get a rash!!

Joannie
09-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Lilly:
I'm on the TEACH trial since middle of May. I too prayed for rash and diarrhea!! I'm fairly confident that I received the "real" thing. My symptoms from early on consisted of:
diarrhea
tingling hands and feet
slight nausea

The rash, which is more like acne for me, didn't start until I was on the pill for about a month. It is the one side effect that has not subsided. Let me know how you do and if you have any questions, please let me know! I will be happy to answer any questions you may have!
Joannie

KellyA
09-30-2007, 03:22 PM
I was wondering if someone could explain the basic criteria for getting into the TEACH trial. Is it only for people who have not had Herceptin?

Love, Kelly

Joannie
10-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Here is the link for the TEACH trial.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00374322

You cannot have had Herceptin.
Hope this helps.
Joannie

CurlyGirly
10-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Hi
I've been on the TEACH trial since May. 2 days ago my eylid became swollen and I figured it was allergies, although it was painful, not itchy. Today there were little sores on my eyelid, some of them scabby. I went to a clinic and the doc said they looked sort of like acne. He put me on Cipro. Everyone else seems to be getting creams. Has anyone else been put on an antibiotic for their rashes?
Jan

hutchibk
10-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Here's what I learned from a pamphlet that Joe posted about how to treat Tykerb rash...

RASH
As far as rash, here are some of the fixes that can be tried by your doctor...

*Employ a proactive approach in managing skin reactions.
*Suggest that patients use a thick, alcohol-free emollient cream.
*Suggest that patients use a sunscreen of SPF 25 or higher, preferably
containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide
* If patient presents with rash, verify appropriate administration of drug and proceed with the following therapy algorithm:

Mild Rash:
Minimally located
No impact on activities of daily life (ADL)
No sign of superinfection

(shows picture of mild rash occurrence across bridge of nose and cheeks)

Continue EGFR targeted treatment @current dose and monitor for change in severity.

***Use:
Topical hydrocortisone 1% or 2.5% cream and/or Clindamycin 1% gel

Reassess after 2 weeks, if reaction worsens or does not improve, proceed to next step.

Moderate Rash:
Generalized
Mild Symptoms (e.g. pruritus, tenderness)
Minimal impact on ADL
No sign of superinfection

(shows picture of red worsened rash occurrence (pruritus) across nose, around nostrils, top lip, lower cheeks, and entire chin.)

Continue EGFR targeted treatment @current dose and monitor for change in severity. Continue treatment of the skin reaction with the following:

***Use:
Hydrocortisone 2.5% cream or Clindamycin 1% gel
or Pimecrolimus 1% cream
Plus Doxycycline 100mg BID or Monocycline 100mg BID

Reassess after 2 weeks, if reaction worsens or does not improve, proceed to next step.

Severe Rash:
Generalized
Severe symptoms (e.g. pruritus, tenderness)
Significant impact on ADL
Potential sign of superinfection

(shows picture of worsened rash occurrence similar to moderate with more facial coverage and continuation to shoulders and neck)

Reduce EGFR targeted therapy as per label and monitor for change in severity. Continue treatment of skin reaction with the following:

***Use:
Hydrocortisone 2.5% cream or Clindamycin 1% gel
or Pimecrolimus 1% cream
Plus Doxycycline 100mg BID or Monocycline 100mg BID
Plus Medrol dose pack

Reassess after 2 weeks, if reaction worsens, dose interruption or discontinuation may be necessary.

CurlyGirly
10-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the info Brenda. I saw my GP today. She feels that it is blepharitis and told me to stay on the Cipro, wash my eyelids with diluted baby shampoo and prescribed fucidin ointment. I guess I'll see how it responds to this.
Jan