PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have bladder, kidney or urinary tract infection while on Tykerb?

Sandy in Silicon Valley
09-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi,

I'm taking a 7-day course of Macrobid antibiotic to fight a bladder infection that was dx'd by GP last week, and confirmed by lab test of urine specimen.

It's been forever since I've had such a sudden-onset, severe bladder infection before - and never, without first signs of a urinary tract infection...

I'm just wondering if this is yet another unreported side effect of taking Tykerb (or perhaps, more unusual, Tykerb + Herceptin, which are my current treatment protocol).

thanks for any info y'all can provide.

(((hugs)))
Sandy in Silicon Valley

Lala
09-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Sandy
I have been on Tykerb Xeloda since March 07, I have not had any infections to date. Last year on a different chemotherapy I did have infections of the land down under kind. I think in general you can have infections pop up when you are on any cancer treatment as our immune systems are weaker.
I hope you feel better soon!
Hugs

hutchibk
09-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Not me on Tykerb/Xeloda - however, I had them every 3-4 months on Taxol/Herceptin.

SoCalGal
09-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Years ago, I was very prone to bladder infections. I learned that sometimes when you have diarrhea, it can increase your risk of a bladder infection. (That's due to the close proximity of how we are "designed".) Since diarrhea is a side effect of Tykerb, maybe that contributed? Of course, having hot sex will sometimes also result in a killer bladder infection. A better trade-off if you ask me!

Macrobid is a good antibiotic - just typing the name makes me feel nauseated:)

Hope you feel better soon.
Flori

Joannie
09-28-2007, 04:40 PM
I've been on TEACH trial since middle of May and have no problems with those issues.

Carolyns
09-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Hi Sandy,

I had one the day I started Tykerb. I had just gone off of Fasoldex. I have been fine since May. Good luck.

Carolyns

PS - I agree with Flori about the other possible reasons.