PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Tykerb

Sandy in Silicon Valley
09-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi,

How do y'all feel about the cost of Tykerb, and the uncertain dosing status right now?

Each morning, when I take my 5 pills, I think "This is $120 worth (to my insurance co., plus 75c copay to me) of drugs I'm taking here.

It does NOT make me feel special, as perhaps spending $120/morning on something else - like food, or books, or music, or FUN - might. Instead, it seems like an obscenely inflated cost. If I had to pay for this out of pocket, there is NO WAY I'd buy the drug, even if it does its purported best, and keeps further bc brain mets at bay.

I hate that the pharmaceutical companies cry "but the RESEARCH costs!!!" when criticized about the cost of their drugs, but when they make deals with socialized medicine countries' drug purchasers, suddenly they can afford to accept lots less, plus there are these ridiculous magazine and tv ads that they pay big bucks to air - to convince lay people to ask their docs for their drugs!!!???

thanks for the opportunity to rant a bit...
Sandy in Silicon Valley

Joy
09-06-2007, 05:57 AM
coffee mugs with stomachs on them, model trucks with prevacid ads, beach towels with 'kytril' on it, pens, magnets, paper, mouse pads, stress balls, water bottles, socks-yes, socks and all the other schwag that they 'give' away that becomes landfill waste in addition to the waste of money.

When I polled friends about my initial $2800 co - pay for tyk/xel they said no way could they pay it or if they did they would not have a house or food. And my friend said, "So they come up with these wonderful compounds that can save lives, but no one can buy them to take them." Which makes me wonder when the whole industry will collapse on itself.

And yet, these drugs are saving my life and that is big, like it is for all of us fighting so hard putting up with side effects and stress. And I do feel that companies prey a bit on our desperate attempts to stay alive.

just ranting with ya sister!

Brenda_D
09-06-2007, 06:36 AM
I felt similar about my Herceptin. A 3 week infusion was $3745, not including the "chemo supplies" and doctor fees. That amounts to $166.43 a day over 30 days.
I couldn't even afford the co-pay, which was $608 every 3 weeks.

Thank goodness for insurance and a compassionate Onc.

I don't mind them making money, but if they price it out of reach, what good will it do?

AbbyDawg
09-06-2007, 06:58 PM
My most expensive drugs over time:

Neulasta - $8500 per injection x 4
Tykerb - $4000 per month
Copaxone - $1750 per month (for MS)
Rocephin - $285 per day IV for 11 months (for neuro. Lyme)

Being broke now and on Medicare/Disability/Medcaid = PRICELESS!!