View Full Version : Crazy sexy cancer on "TLC" channel..

Chelee
08-24-2007, 07:41 PM
I was watching the "TLC" channel on cable & caught a commercial about a program coming up on Wednesday August 29th called, "Crazy sexy cancer". I believe its going to be following five women's journey's through breast cancer. Sorry but I did not catch what time it was on? Maybe someone else on this board knows? Just thought I would give those of you interested in it a heads up in case you want to watch it.

Chelee

Jen
08-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Premiere of Crazy Sexy Cancer (TLC); 9:00-11:00pm (ET/PT)

Melinda
08-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Here is the link to get an idea of what it is about.... sounds very interesting! Wish I had TiVo!

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/specials/crazy-sexy-cancer/crazy-sexy-cancer.html
Melinda

Sherryg683
08-24-2007, 08:29 PM
"Sexy"???...bad word to use in my opinion..nothing sexy about it to me..lol..sherry

Chelee
08-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Sherry, I have to admit, the name of the show turned me off instantly. I had the same feelings you did about throwing the word *sexy* in there. If I ever felt sexy before bc...I certainly don't now. After you have your breast removed and an ooph or hysterectomy, sexy is the furthest thing from my mind unfortunately. It might grab someones attention to the program...but I would of came up with something other then that. lol I read the explanation of why she choose that for the title of her show in the link Melinda provided...but it still doesn't work for me. Ha!

Chelee

tousled1
08-25-2007, 01:44 AM
I have my DVR all ready to record the movie.

fauxgypsy
08-25-2007, 09:15 AM
While I am looking forward to seeing the film, I must say I don't care much for the title. There is a forum at the link posted previously. There is a debate going on about the name. And of course I had an opinion. Only one of the five women featured in the film is a breast cancer survivor. While I know that all cancer survivors share a lot of the same problems, breast cancer deals a blow to the very heart of our cultural ideals of femininity and each one of us has to deal with this in their own way. I don't feel less atractive to my husband but I must say that I feel much less physically attractive to the world at large. I know that I am the same woman, that inside nothing has changed. But the outside certainly has. Right now I have a crew cut a marine sargeant would be proud of. My husband loves all of me (mind and body) but much of the world trades on appearances. I have not recovered enough yet to get fitted for a prosthesis and am making do for now. When I do wear something to go out in I am constantly checking to make sure it is place, As many of you know, it tends to ride up on the mastectomy side, giving a really perky breast on one side. If I left it alone I would look like I had a teenage boob, nearly under my chin, with gravity having affected only one side. I wish I had the self confidence to just go without but I don't and even then I don't feel that it would be appropriate in a business situation, where I need to project confidence and ability in order to sell my work, not draw attention to my illness.

Leslie

Leslie

SoCalGal
08-25-2007, 09:17 AM
I am stunned that they made a show that involves crazy, sexy and cancer and SOMEHOW I am not the star of this show. Can't wait to see my twin. LOL.

SoCalGal
08-25-2007, 09:25 AM
I have to just say, after reading Chelee's reply that I've learned that "sexy" is a state of mind and only that. I am living proof. I have the most cut and scared body - nothing looks "normal" unless fully clothed. AND I found myself SINGLE after a long marriage and for sure said to myself "I will NEVER be brave enough to let anyone see me naked and I will just NEVER have sex again". AND then I met a hot guy, 2 years ago (he'd love that description). I have felt sexy from the moment we met and became an expert at flirty lingerie. He made me feel like a woman again, and it wasn't simple but it was easy. And that's pretty good for an old chick. So, I am living proof that sexy is all in the head and how you feel about yourself. Despite my stage four-ness, I feel sexy! Hope this gives you something to ponder. Love yourself first and others will follow. xo Flori

Andrea Barnett Budin
08-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Flori, Flori, Morning Glory. You never stop making me laugh! But your post is also quite pithy. I absolutely agree that my body is not a pretty sight (in all its nakedness). Scars from hip to hip, from my tram flap reconstruction job, and a thing that looks almost like another belly button but isn't. The real navel is a bit off center, and *bothers my eye*. (I'd insisted on having the two surgeries on the same table at the same time.)

I'm numb from the pubic bone up to the place my brilliant surgeon handmade my new breast from spare body parts. Nurses tell me it's a great job, though I think of it as a reasonable facsimile. They tell you -- you should see some of the women who come in here. That's a great job. They couldn't save the skin from my mastectomy and warned me that the belly skin would be lighter in color. I looked at my stomach and decided no big deal. Well, after surgery, meeting the doc in my hospital room the next day, with my head in my lap as I could not raise it and my doc was insistent on getting me up -- I asked my beloved doc, When do you take the bandage off. I'd sneaked a peak, with my head down there anyway. What bandage, he asked? Of my God, I realized -- that is my new breast. I look like a patchwork quilt! And, as they went wide around the margins, the circle of scar that surrounds my new breast comes way above the bra line. So v necks are virtually out. Cami's are in -- so I don't draw attention to the odd mix of normal skin and what the hell is that.

I'm numb in the malformed armpit of the affected area and inside my upper arm. My real breast is pretty perky for a 62 yr old boob, whereas my manmade breast is way higher. A good bra evens thinks out, mostly. My hair came back but not my hairline. My brows never returned and was given some stray lashes that I plump up with mascara base + mascara, creating an illusion. I wore a wig when bald, emulating my once thick wavy locks. I learned to shake it out vigorously and then run my fingers through it when I put it on as if it was MINE, making it look more real. Some makeup and earrings (a must for me) made me look normal. Others always told me, You can't be sick, you look great. I felt SEXY. I feel SEXY. I even look SEXY CRAZY NORMAL. No one knows the truth, but my Paul. And he tells me I am perfect, just the way I am. He says it w/such genuine and loving verve, he makes me want to cry (w/joy).

Sexy is a frame of mind. Like Flori, my wonderful ladies, my stage *fourness* is just a number. Like *incurable* is just a perspective. When I was told that glum factor, along with *inoperable*, I thought I would die right there in the doctor's office. It was all over. The end of the line. Hopeless. Staring at chemo for the rest of life, and knowing I couldn't live like that. Then, came the miracle. My Spirit guided me on this incredible Spiritual path and Herceptin came into my life!! Both saved me and leave me feeling joyful and harmonious, most days.

I was always a bit crazy. I like to think of me as special, unique, my own person, with passionate beliefs all over the place. As my daughter says, I'm usually right (and yes, that is soooo annoying, keeping it to myself when I am bursting to *share* my wisdom w/others, because I truly care). My daughters both tell me I have no tact. Diplomacy and the need to be honest are always fighting in my head. And truth invariably wins out. But, despite the (mostly temporary) baldness and loss of my breast, my hairline, my widows peak, my brows and lashes forever -- you can most definitely look, and most importantly, FEEL sexy as hell. Even being overweight which is the final insult, as I eat RIGHT and don't *deserve* to be cherubic, I think of myself of curvy (which is accurate). Voluptuous. It's the idea in your head of who you are and how you accept and love yourself that you project. And that energy is read by others and responded to in kind. People tell me, You're a beautiful woman. They have no idea of the Godzilla side of me that greets me in the mirror in the morning. Then, I create the me I want to be. I feel better, cheerier, more energized and ready to meet the world. I'm pretty hot for an old chick I dare say. I do the best I can. I give it my all. I look confident and serene, and that's precisely how I feel, despite all the unwanted realities of my life.

I don't look at cancer as the grim reaper. I refuse to buy in to the whispered and profoundly felt fear that comes with the mere mention of the word. I honestly think less people would die from the dastardly disease if they managed not to get caught up in the waves of frightful energy that the idea of cancer evokes. IF ONE PERSON HAS SURVIVED YOUR TYPE OF CANCER -- YOU CAN SURVIVE. Take that thought and run with it.

Sending happy, healing, loving vibes to my fellow sexy, brave, determined, amazing, bright and wonderful Warriors all... Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

Patb
08-25-2007, 04:43 PM
I just received the book crazy sexy cancer tips by kris carr.
Who knew?
patb

lilyecuadorian
08-25-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm felling sexy sometimes ..and please we are not the worst ..we are beatifull and with nice bodies no complete ...but nice ..I know or I see peoples way way BAD 300 pounds o more ..(no offence )...so Im felling ok ...if I was'nt sick ...it will be perfect ....LOL ..is too many things that we have ...and others no .....so the only thing that really need is a miracle-cure for all her2 group .........only good health ...enough for me

Sherryg683
08-25-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm not saying you that you can't have cancer and be sexy. It's just the title "crazy sexy cancer"...makes it sound like cancer is sexy . I think we all will agree it's not. Just think the title is tacky. It's like "sex" sells and they are trying to capitalize on it ...sherryg

Joy
08-26-2007, 08:50 AM
You gals rock. I laughed so hard and felt so encouraged by your posts I ended up with happy tears. One thing that I think is sexy about cancer is the strength that we have that many don't possess. Being strong, to me, is sexy, whether you are female or male. And let me tell you ladies, we got strength!!!

thank you, thank you for your posts and sharing, they will be read and reread!

Karen Weixel
08-26-2007, 10:35 AM
My husband and I were talking about this last night. He mentioned that he thought the title meant that Kris, even with the horrible cancer and prognosis she has, is still; crazy, sexy and has cancer all at the same time.

I think, like anyone who has been diagnosed with cancer, she is just trying to make sense of what is happening to her body and life.

Just my two cents.

Karen

Andrea Barnett Budin
08-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Karen, I agree w/your hubby. I was remembering Fran Dresher's book CANCER SCHMANTZER. It's time, I think, to bring cancer out of the closet. To stop being afraid to mention the word let alone discuss the issues, as we all do so freely. Thank God for the millionth time for this fabulous venue and you fantastic WINNERS!

Our society can't seem to address death either. People don't know what to say to those stricken in any case. Many hide. Some sign their names to a card, send flowers or books, at a loss for words.

I found great comfort from the cards, flowers and books, from the calls from people I didn't think remembered me or ever even noticed me! I deeply appreciated when some said, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. That was a good one. And it was great when I kept hearing, You're a strong woman, if anyone can beat this you can! Or your amazing, you're so brave! I wasn't brave, I thought, I was just doing what had to be done. Then I read that THE BRAVEST ARE SURELY THOSE WHO HAVE THE CLEAREST VISION OF WHAT IS BEFORE THEM.. AND YET... GO OUT TO MEET IT. I stretched for grace. I reached up for dignity. I put my best face on, my wig and obligatory earrings (like underpants) -- wore a smile on my face, and forged on. I was NOT going to curl up into a fetal position and mourn my impending doom. I was NOT ready to make funeral plans. I was envisioning myself far into the future. I was living AS IF my desired destiny was a done deal, and I worked all day, each day, thinking thoughts of healing and victory, joy and serenity, harmony, appreciation, gratitude and a whole lot of awe!

The CANCER taboo we have self-imposed on our culture has to be rectified. The word does not equate to death. The experience is full of struggle but we have the power to heal our bodies and get on systems on track and functioning, with some help and with our personal empowerment. Cancer schmantzer means lifting the funereal pale that obfuscates the mysterious and fearful disease. Crazy sexy cancer is irreverent obviously, but it also says, it time to mature as a society. We menstruate. We no longer *get our friend*. Or, at least, I used to, once upon a time. We have vaginas and penises, depending... I now pee, no longer making a sissy. Let's just all grow up and deal. That's the point, I think. Or what I perceive from it all.

I look forward to our world being freer to discuss our illnesses, mourning and dead people. Too many shy away from such topics, like it's contagious or something. I have met Survivors who don't want to talk about their experience. Whereas I believe sharing what we learned is valuable information that must not go unsaid! It's fine to use the name of someone who have passed on (to the Spiritual Realm, in my opinion). Death is not the end of the story. Our Souls survive and move on to a different way of *being*, taking all the Lessons learned with them, becoming wiser and more learned. Those who have lost loved ones feel a flutter in their hearts when you mention the loved ones name. I don't think it makes them sad. It's makes me feel more connected to that dear person. I have been thinking a lot lately about my dear friend Sue. Her birthday was a few weeks ago. And Vicki's Bday is Sept 10 (mine the 3rd). We used to go away for Labor Day Weekend together to celebrate and exchange little Tiffany gifts. I miss these friends and felt the need to mention their names here. I wish you could have known them! Sue was the wisest, most loving, clear-sighted, giving, caring and downright funny person I have ever been blessed to know. When she died I sobbed uncontrollably for a long while. I just didn't like the idea that she wasn't in this world with me anymore. I know I will see her again, but I want her voice, her words now. I have saved every letter and card she ever sent me, and they are fabulous. When I am ready, I will go and fish them out of my night table drawer full of goodies and reread them. Her every word was precious to me. We need to talk about our loved ones, those here and those just over our shoulder, say their names and express our feelings openly. Not just on this site, but out there in the real world.

I think that if we can find the courage to take the FEAR out of cancer, we could go a long way toward improving statistics, rather than being cowered by them, caught up in a kind of mob mentality, virtually scaring ourselves to death. That's my take, anyway. Wishing all of you decades of NED sooner rather than later! Let's personally contribute to bettering the odds, showing the world how to beat this greedy monster.

Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/gstres/celebrte/heart

AndiBB@aol.com

Esther
08-26-2007, 04:42 PM
I hadn't heard about this show, but went and tivo'd it to check it out. I enjoyed the lifetime movie " why I wore lipstick to my mastectomy", so who knows about this one?

saleboat
08-27-2007, 04:18 AM
I just saw the 7 minute trailer for the film. I have to say, I'm interested in seeing it, even through the title is a HUGE turn-off. Sorry, nothing sexy about this disease. But it is by a young woman with an extremely rare and incurable cancer, so I have to give her her props. There has to be something more behind the title.

I am also anxious to see a new narrative for cancer patients. It seems that the public discussion subscribes to a just a couple of stories 1) The valiant HERO who, through sheer will-power alone, triumphs over incredible odds (Lance Armstrong) and 2) The hero who battled until the end, left no stone unturned, but lost a heroic battle with the disease (Dana Reeves).

There are so many living with this disease every day, and it might be refreshing to see that fact publicly recognized.

chrisy
08-27-2007, 08:54 AM
I missed the TV show, but I looked yesterday at her website www.crazysexycancer.com (http://www.crazysexycancer.com) and let me tell you, girls, it is not about cancer being sexy! It is about, well, kicking cancer butt. Reminded me of a lot of you gals here - being survivors and refusing to let cancer steal your spirit. In fact I'm going to steal something from her blog and start spelling it canSer "just to piss it off".

She also has a book by the same name and I can't wait to buy it.

tousled1
08-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Chrisy,

You didn't miss the show as it's on this Wednesday night on the learning channel. At least on the east coast.

Andrea Barnett Budin
08-27-2007, 09:32 AM
The TV show is on WED Chrisy and all -- TLC 9:. I saw her on the Today Show this A.M. The book is CRAZY SEXY CANCER *TIPS*. She's a Warrior, 4 yr Survivor and a ?vascular cancer. Told incurable. WE KNOW. Inoperable. SUCKS. No known treatment. She took the challenge and traveled everywhere for potential therapies, thinking out of the box. I'm going to check out the site Chrisy, but right off I loved her Spirit. She looked serene. Ann Curry mentioned how cancer patients often say it is the best thing that ever happened to them. Which I concur with, odd as it sounds. It was a major turning point in my life, A CATALYST for propelling me forward and upward, Spiritually and philosophically. My relationships became heightened with a crazy sexy LOVE. Paul and I held hands every where. We looked into each other's eyes more. We reached for each other across the pillows in the middle of the night because we were so scared and because this made us feel stronger and more protected. We cherished each day and one another more than ever.

My daughter's stopped hassling me over silly little things they'd ordinarily pull, proclaiming hurt feelings over the most absurd comments I'd make (distorted their intention entirely). With bc dx came I admire you, you're amazing, you're so strong and courageous, I'm so proud of you, I'm so lucky to have you in my life as my Mother, I love you, along with small kindesses and hovering, cards full of beautiful expressions of their deepest feelings.

Priorities rearranged themselves immediately. The annoying chipped paint on my front door (in the middle of the winter in NY when you had to wait to have it repainted) didn't really matter anymore. Even though it was the first thing I saw each and every day I got out of the car and walked in to my house. Piddly dumb stuff. Look at that sky. That tree! I'd go in the house and feed my dogs and water my plants and see how lucky I was. I knew from the getgo, despite my stage fourness, that it could be so very much worse. I see people in parking lots who can barely walk, and I'm not talking about elderly people, people with deformed faces and obviously mentally challenged. My Mother was in a Nursing Home unable to remember her name or who I was, she couldn't walk, talk, ask for a drink of water when she was thirsty, or a sweater when she was cold. She couldn't seem to follow conversation, she couldn't read or feed herself or go to the bathroom herself or bathe herself.

I felt that all the horrid side effects would eventually pass, or at least lessen considerably, and in the end the canSer (thanks Chrisy, I just LOVE pissing off canSer!) would be snuffed out and brought in to control. Incurable. Yeah, I know. So. It's a chronic disease under containment. That's the first goal. Then, staying there! Like acne, you may have a flare up, but you work really really hard and you master the canSer.

When Paul and I were first married, a really nice, slightly older attorney in his office, Joe, who thought I was beautiful but liked to irritate me, would say OH HI SANDY! every time he saw me. My name isn't Sandy. Oh, no? Oh, that's right. ANDY. Actually, Andi, I'd laugh, but cringe inside. After years of this, I finally wised up. As I'd meet Joe I'd say, Oh hi MOE. You should have seen his face! It's JOE. My name is Joe. Oh, yeah, right. Joe. And he never called me anything but Andi ever again.

So canSer, take your incurable self and get away from you. There's no room in my life for the likes of you. You stink. And so does the chemo, but at least it serves a useful purpose. Annihilating you, canSer.

Sending loving, healing energy to all those on this canSer adventure. I don't even want to call it a fight anymore. I work toward *medalling* in this race. I'm done struggling and battling. No one wants to be on the canSer journey, but once you find yourself there, kick it's butt and get on w/Life. It does make you realize how fortunate we are to have all we have despite the necessary losses. Life has never been sweeter. Wishing you WOW Now moments all day, every day.... MUCH LOVE TO ALL MY SISTER AND BROTHERS, Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

chrisy
08-27-2007, 05:52 PM
I guess I've been WAY too busy - I'm already thinking into next week. Glad I get a chance to see it!

TriciaK
08-28-2007, 01:39 AM
Is it too late to see this program? I really loved all the comments it engendered here, especially the ones by Andi! It is amazing how much she and I think alike. I do have to add a comment about scars: I not only have the scars from BC surgery, but a lovely zipper right down the middle from neck to navel, from open heart surgery, plus long lumpy scars down my left inner thigh and leg where they pulled the veins to turn into arteries for my triple bypass. It happens, though , that my wonderful husband has a zipper, too, and scars on his left leg to match mine, as he had a quadruple bypass 2 months after mine, all last year. How's that for togehterness? Speaking of TV shows, has anyone seen "A Side Order of Life", I think on LIFETIME channel? It has a young woman (the main character's best friend) who has just been diagnosed with Cancer, I'm not sure what kind. It gets pretty racy---like her onc just prescribed a dildo??!!) But sometimes it is quite poignant too, like the girl's comment after her first chemo that she used to think humans were at the top of the food chain, but now she thinks cancer is. I don't agree and don't think any of you warriors would either, but it is interesting. The scene where she loses a handful of her long hair in the shower is poignant too. I am not recommending the show especially but found it interesting and wonder how many times they will hit the mark and how many times they will be way off. Hugs to you all! Tricia

mamacze
08-28-2007, 04:39 AM
I am opening a box of Kleenix and holding my sides from laughing so hard; this thread was my "wow, now" moment of the morning! This show will grab my attention - I turned off my cable and put my television in the attic last year...I will have to run over to my dear neighbors to watch it; but its sounds like it will have some motivating tidbits. Thanks for the heads-up Chelee!
Love Kim from CT

Andrea Barnett Budin
08-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!" - Anon

This is a quote our Joe shared in some post a while back. I had to copy it. Now seems an appropriate time to pass the wisdom on. Especially, after reading about Tricia's ZIPPER, and the matching set on her husband's torso. WOW WHAT A RIDE! (I also love your posts Tricia! And your Spirit! You are a most intriguing sexy gal!) LOVE TO Y'ALL... ANDI

Jade
08-29-2007, 01:24 AM
Hey, why don't they do a whole series?!! How about "Crazy Sexy Diabetes", "Crazy Sexy Arthritis", let's not 'forget' "Crazy Sexy Alzheimers" or my personal favourite "Crazy Sexy AIDS". This may be a great show but I really object to the cheap, cheesy use of the word "sexy" in the title to garner attention/ratings. There is nothing sexy about this despicable disease. Period.

fauxgypsy
08-30-2007, 07:16 AM
I have to say that I was disapointed in the show. I was hoping for something with a little more meat to it. I would have liked to see more about the breast cancer survivor's and the rocker's experiences. I feel like the show lived down to its title. There were some poignant parts but it seemed to me and my friend like a continuation of the actress's childhood movies and her career.

I would really like to see some films or news that feature people like many of the women on this board who have lived through years of treatment and all of the indignities and pain and still smile. Women who don't have celebrity, big money, or power backing them up. women who had to fight to get their treatments. Women who have had to struggle because they don't have insurance, women who are single parents who struggle to pay their bills and keep their children fed, all those brave women that I have met or whose posts I have read. The ones that have lost friends or spouses because they just got tired of deaking with a person with chronic illness. and they still smile.

I have been one of the lucky ones so far, and I am very aware of this. I was unisurable but I got Medicaid through the Breast and Cervicle Cancer screening program, our small house is paid for, and at the moment we have no car payment. I have been able to work some and sell some art work. I have salable tallents. But there are so many people out there who do not have options and no one is telling their stories. It is a lot easier to upbeat when you know how your going to feed your family, when you have someone to depend on when the going gets really rocky. I can turn on the tv at almost any hour and find some story about a poor person in another country who isn't getting the health care they need but in our country we want to put a rosy spin on everything. Yet in our own country we ignore the employers who make up reasons to take away the jobs of cancer patients, we turn a blind eye to those who are unisurable, who work for companies that are too small or too greedy to provide benefits, much less the salary to buy them on their own. But I sat there and watched people learn how to stuff wheat grass juice where the sun doesn't shine and no one on screen even laughed. One of the women I talk to occasionally lost her job recently, she has a mortgage and is in the middle of treatment. Another was told by a large chain store that has flexible scheduling that they couldn't work around her radiation schedule and so she lost her job. Cobra is all well and good but only if you can afford to keep it.

I almost wrote an apology for being on my soap box but I am not going to. These are much more real issues than macrobiotic diets and wheat grass cures. I know that we would all be better off if we ate better diets but when a gallon of milk cost close to an hour's wages, olive oil and fresh veggies are not the priorities.

Leslie

Sheila
08-30-2007, 07:55 AM
I saw it last night on TLC....she was motivating....full of energy..oh yeah, and younger than me...she is a guest speaker at the Chicago CURE forum the 8-9 of September.....I may go!

BonnieR
08-30-2007, 08:51 AM
I agree with Leslie. I was disappointed in the show. It started out with such promise. I thought that the 2 hours were really squandered. I would like to have seen more variety of stories and experiences... She is obviously talented. I wish she had used it better....

tammymarie1971
08-30-2007, 10:47 AM
I totally agree with Leslie!!! I watched the show and really thought that it didn't really do the whole cancer struggle justice. There is no doubt that Kris has talent and had her struggle.....but....... She didn't go through debilitating surgeries, chemo or radiation. I am not taking away the anxiety of waiting for the results of all her scans...we all know how tough that is, she was told that it was an extremely slow growing cancer which could lay dormant for a long time, but the show made it seem that it was her lifestyle change that halted the cancer...who is to say that she wouldn't of had the same results without all the 24/7 obsession with what went into and out of her body and really enjoyed mealtimes and going for dinner with friends and not feeling so isolated with the lifestyle changes.

Last year I went to Mexico for treatment. I was very strict with myself no white flour, no sugar, no carbonated drinks, no alcohol, no pork, no tomatoes and no vinegar I took at least 50 pills a day and a tonic (hoxsey) for 4 months...When I went back to Mexico after all this it showed my cancer grew!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not saying Mexico treatments don't work, I met people that were truly helped and I saw first hand miracles...But the amount of devotion it takes to follow very strict diet regulations is not my idea of living and enjoying life!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never felt so isolated or miserable then I did in those 4 months, I also have a husband and 4 children to cook for and it was just tough, I wish it wasn't so expensive to buy better quality food too.
I'm not sure what I am trying to say except that you can do everything right and die and do everything wrong an live...In the end we all die! No one is immortal!!!!!!

However I have to say that in just a short time I bring my baby to KINDERGARTEN!!!! I was pregnant with him when dx'd and after all the recurrences and so forth I did not think I would live to see this day!! I was scheduled for chemo on his first day!!! Hmmmmmmmm chemo or bringing my last baby to kindergarten...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. DUH!!!!!!!
Have a great day everyone and enjoy life don't be held prisoner to canser!!( I love the idea of mis-spelling the word)
I may need reminding me of the prisoner thing when I am having a bad day!!
Tammy

PinkGirl
08-30-2007, 07:07 PM
I watched the entire movie because I found Kris to be very likeable and interesting to listen to. The movie was not what I expected. I think people who do not have "canser" probably got more out of it than "we" did. I expected more.

Karen Weixel
08-30-2007, 09:52 PM
I thought her documentary was wonderful. Kris has great strength and a beautiful spirit.

Karen

harrie
09-02-2007, 05:38 PM
I think it is very much possible to still remain sexy and beautiful, inside and out, even after having a double mastectomy, reconstruction, chemo, ovaries out, and the works. I honestly mean every single word of that.
Maryanne

PinkGirl
09-04-2007, 09:02 AM
There were 26 posts before the movie aired and only 7 after.
Did you guys watch it???

harrie
09-04-2007, 03:50 PM
I have watched half so far. Have not had time to watch it all yet. So far it is interesting.

Gerri
09-04-2007, 07:35 PM
I recorded it and watched it yesterday. I thought Kris was delightful and upbeat in spite of facing unknown odds with such a rare cancer. This documentary was a video diary of HER life with HER type of cancer and the people she interacted with. She doesn't have a pink ribbon symbolizing her disease or millions of people rallying around raising money for a cure. She had to search on her own to find a doctor who was familiar with her type of cancer. I didn't come away with the impression that eating healthy and drinking wheat grass (or stuffing it) is what stablized her disease. Rather, I think she tried to be proactive and do SOMETHING until her tumor advanced to the point where her doctor thought treatment was warranted. Don't we all do the same thing? Vitamins, supplements, avoid this, try that, we'll do anything if we think it will help fight this beast. The fact that she did not have surgery or go through chemotherapy in my mind does not diminish the anguish she too faces fighting for her life. Cancer is UGLY no matter what part of the body it attacks.

I commend her for her courage. What a beautiful spirit!

Catherine
09-04-2007, 09:41 PM
I finally took time to scan this sexy post. I am giggling and plan to come back to the post and read them all. We are a wild bunch.

Drugs, Sex, Rock and Roll. I guess it applies to we warriors.

Past my bedtime, more reading in a few days.

Hugs to all, Catherine

madubois63
09-05-2007, 05:36 AM
I for one, am a big believer in drugs, Sex and Rock n Roll!!! I don't drink, but I've always got the best prescription med's going. I am not having sex now, but after leaving my husband, being diagnosed a month later and then meeting someone that got me through my first fight...it was the best sex ever! I held on to "it" for dear life. Not only did it relieve pain and keep me mentally sound (somewhat), it made me feel alive and remember what I was living for. As to Rock n Roll, that is another thing that has kept me sane (yeah, yeah - somewhat). When I was in my early 20's, I worked at a radio station and was able to go to hundreds of concerts for free - backstage passes and all. Then I grew up and got a real job, became a mom and lost me somewhere along the way. At 14, my daughter found music, and we found common ground. I thought it was a perfect way to stay in her world, especially after the cancer. I took her to small shows and big shows. We started going out of state, and then the big one for her 16th birthday. Instead of a party, Shannon, her best friend Amanda and I drove to Ohio to see her favorite band on her birthday (I live in NY). Actually, it was a four day road trip, and we had a blast!!!! 2 Concerts, Hershey park and lots of laughs. I did end up in the hospital a few times after some of the concerts, but I lived in between - that's what matters most. I missed a few concerts and watched my daughter on the Today Show from the hospital (I should have been there). I also took up scrap booking because of rock n roll. I saved all her tickets, bumpers stickers, pictures - a ton of stuff. While in the hospital and in my bed at home, I cut, and pasted and designed the most amazing book for my daughter. Then came the heavy, heavy duty steroids. I could not sleep or sit still. I scrap-booked EVERYTHING! It kept my mind busy. So what does this have to do with the movie? I only saw a half hour of it, and I just have a personal problem with everything on tv about cancer. Yeah, yeah...I have a rare cancer. Yeah, yeah it's incurable and inoperable. I've been told I'm dying more times than anyone of these people that make movies and write books. At this point, there is not much they can teach me. Why should I sit around and waste 2 hours of my life to watch someone else be hooked up to a pump (I name and decorate mine). Melissa stopped Taxol treatment because she didn't want neuropathy to ruin her money making fingers. Suzanne is just lucky that her cancer was found early and that she had enough standard treatment BEFORE the mistletoe (in my opinion). Sheryl had early stage bc. And even Lance just did it once (glad for him). They have all raised awareness and money, and I am not making any less of what they've done, but I am well aware of this disease. Someone needs to stop making socks with pink ribbons on them and find a freaking cure! Instead of watching the rest of the movie, I am going to collect shells on the beach!!!! Love to all of you - THE REAL HERO'S!

Jeanette
09-05-2007, 05:42 AM
My sentiments exactly, Jeanette

PinkGirl
09-05-2007, 06:48 AM
I am wondering why I can go "back and forth" on this. At times I actually enjoy sporting all of my pink stuff (car magnets, ribbons, pins, my pink hair) and at other times I totally agree with Madame DuBois and just want to live my life. At times I want to read every canser book out there, and at other times I avoid the word. Maybe I was in one of my moods and wanted this movie to reflect my adventure - it certainly didn't do that.

cafe1084
09-05-2007, 09:22 AM
LoL...after reading these posts, I sat back and thought about what you had all said. Then I happened to be watching the today show this morning about ovarian cancer, that 23,000 are diagnosed every year and only 8,000 live because of no screening or early intervention tools. CANSER SUX...no matter what kind! I just want to say that anything...pink ribbon, self-absorbed documentary, or drug reps handing out herceptin bags only work to bring more awareness to the fact that people are dying of cancers, all kinds of cancers! I think that's a good thing. I don't remember seeing this type of public awareness 15 yrs ago or even 8 years ago when my dad died of cancer. I have cancer and realistically, I am happy to be saddled with breast cancer above other cancers because of the strides being made in treatment. They may be slow, but They are faster than others I can name, so bring on the pink ribbons and bumper stickers and all the documentaries I can stand....if it helps one person, it was worth it.

BonnieR
09-05-2007, 11:19 AM
yes, there seem to be great strides in breast cancer treatments. Just look at how recent Herceptin is. Maybe because of our numbers. And we have a more routine, automatic screening, if people get their mammograms regularly. Ovarian cancer, as I understand it, has rather silent and vague symptoms. Breast cancer seems to have more visible spokeswomen too.... Whatever the reasons, I applaud the increased awareness and will do my share to make it greater.....for all cancer.....

Andrea Barnett Budin
09-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Each of us knows to fasten our seat belts! I must say that I found the crazy, sexy movie boring. It was something I looked forward to, but was immensely, and surprisingly, disappointed in. To be honest, after a half hr I skimmed through my taped version. It seemed to be missing the real deal, or did I miss that??? I felt that it didn't adequately reflect my experience, as *someone* pointed out. (I just got back from 5 days in NY and am trying to catch up, so I'm a few steps behind y'all... Please forgive my lapse in memory.) In the end, which I fast forwarded to, the *star* (?Kris) spoke of Life being "messy and brilliant, gorgeous and staggering, crazy and sexy, just like canser".

The way I see it is canser is like Life in that -- it is messy, full of surprises, unpredictable, mysterious, staggering and crazy. Nothing sexy about canser, just the title, which was a tacky lure and therefore offensive. I was ready to let it explain itself, but it did not. Life, and canser, have valleys that are jarring to say the very least. But, as Karr mentioned, canserhttp://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/07 can be a CATALYST and a TEACHER. This I agree with. It gels with my CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC thread (dare I mention) which speaks of illness being a teaching. What I tried to say back then (?in June) was that I believe there are Lessons within every adversity, if we find ourselves able to search them out midst the obstacles and the pain of it all. Quite the challenge, I know. But I felt my Spirit led me to the Lessons. They seemed to glow in the darkness that suddenly surrounded me with my dx.

The crushing disappointments of Life have within them unique opportunities, to evolve and grow in magnificent ways. They are hugely unwanted to be sure! However, I have learned much that is wondrous because of canserhttp://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/gstres/badday/greenface, I've got to admit. I've found Life to be awesome in so many ways I failed to see before bc. I found out that I was a whole lot stronger and braver than I ever imagined! Friends and strangers call me *a hero*. Me. I'm just an ordinary woman. I feel all this LOVE from people that I didn't get before. They tell me, I hope if that ever happens to me, I'll be like you! I did consciously try to be a role model, standing against any grave misfortune, for my daughters to remember and emulate in Life. It was that goal that helped keep my head above water.

Our paths are strewn with obstacles. Every one you meet is fighting some kind of battle, I have found. So I am kinder, more willing to be understanding and not judge, more compassionate, more open, more affectionate in words and deeds. I am genter and more giving of myself and my love. I live with an open heart. And an open mind. I am more aware of my blessings than I ever was, and am awed by the beauty that surrounds us that I hadn't fully appreciated before.

Behind each annoying complication comes yet another opportunity. What I'm saying is that -- in our desperation, we dig a bit deeper and, if we are able to still come up smiling, we see Life as being quite brilliant and full of love! We feel more alive than ever before! I have found expanded awareness, insights and WOW Now moments that were unavailable to me before as I went along to get along most of the time, distracted by what needed doing and doing it. I see the trees and the sky and nature in a whole new way. The important things that really weren't so important after all, have dissipated, allowing the little things to become magnified, as well they should. I stay firmly planted in The Now now, post bc. I have never felt more grateful, more in touch with my True Self and my Spirit, which is all so incredibly empowering!! And I have never felt so a part of Others as I now do.

I think that's what Karr wished to express, though I don't feel she managed to reflect THE TRUE FACE OF CANSER. It's the purpose of the book I am struggling to finish (which is an endless project of love and passion that I WILL finish, no matter what, I swear!). I will finish it because I believe our experience, yours and mine MUST BE SHARED, written for all to hear and gain insight into. My message comes from my heart. I believe Karr's came from her heart, and I admire her for her fortitude and humor through the angst of dealing w/a canser that offered no hope at first. THAT I can relate to. And BTW, of course the book I am daily working to finish is full of inspiration and as many Lessons learned as I can get on paper. I don't think any of us wants pity, but aches for more understanding of the tremulous experience we've endured, and that cries out to be conquered! Sooner rather than later. Not what studies show, what doctors explain as best they can but so miss the mark, what survivors express but somehow aren't typical. (Doesn't Eliz Edwards look fabulous????) Ours is a daily full time job, regardless of our stage -- if we are to prevail. And I suspect Elizabeth knows this and practices this faithfully. She seems like a beautiful Spirit, don't you think? But she is preoccupied with fulfilling her husband and her dream and not focusing on *her* personal issues. I understand that, but someone has to, and I intend to.

People have often told me, I don't know how you did it. That's how I feel when I read your posts, my incredible Sisters. I feel *lucky*. As horrid as what I had to go through was, *your* trials seem worse, and my compassion and respect for what you've braved is enormous! Your posts are full of the truth of this disease and its impact on us as human beings, mothers, hopeful wouldbe mothers, wives, husbands and grandparents and of course caregivers as well... When one person in a family is dx -- the entire family is drawn into the drama. And the caregivers' shoulders must be broad in so many ways to help the patient achieve remission! Their support and love, intelligence and dogged determination carry the day almost as much as the one receiving tx! My prayers and love are always with you! Every one of you!!!!!!!!!!
Andi