PDA

View Full Version : Pet/CT scan questions

DonnaNY
08-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi all , My mom has to go have a Pet/CT scan on September 4th. Its the kind where you drink the contrast, and get injected with something as well. She had a question or two that she thought maybe someone here might be able to answer. They told her she had to drink a quart of water before this test, did anyone here have to drink that much water before this test? Also they said her last meal should be high in protein, she does not eat breakfast so this meal would be eaten late the night before. What kinds of food did you eat before this test? Thanks for any info. God Bless!

With love, Donna

tousled1
08-22-2007, 02:08 AM
My PET/CTs were always scheduled in the morning. The night before I just ate my regular meal and when I woke in the morning I had nothing to eat or drink. When I arrived at the imaging center they injected me (via IV) then gave me a bottle of that wonderful stuff to drink (really not too bad since they are flavored) then they would take me to a room where I would just relax for about half an hour. After that it was into the scan. If your mother gets claustrophobic she may want to ask for doctor for Ativan to take before the procedure.

Stephanie
08-22-2007, 10:30 AM
I had a PET/CT yesterday, and my mom has had numerous PET/CTs, and I don't think she's ever had to drink that much water before hand. I didn't yesterday, but neither of us have had it with contrast, just the radioactive isotope or whatever it is they inject. Maybe the water is for flushing out the contrast after the scan? We haven't had the high-protein meal instructions--just ate whatever the night before.

Something important that they sometimes forget to mention is no exercise the day of the scan or the day before the scan. This restriction includes gardening and house cleaning. If you use your muscles too much the day before, the muscles will take up the glucose instead of the tissue that is being scanned, and it can affect the PET results.

Lolly
08-22-2007, 02:40 PM
I've always been told the last meal should be low carbohydrate and fat.

Brenda_D
08-22-2007, 04:12 PM
When I had my Pet/Ct, they said nothing containing sugar the day before, and nothing after midnight. I just got the injection. I didn't have to drink anything.

chrisy
08-22-2007, 04:45 PM
For the PET/CT, they do want you to have as little "extra" glucose in your system as possible, so that the only glucose is the radioactive one they inject. That would jive with the "last meal should be protein" recommendation.

I've also been instructed to drink water but I don't remember why. Maybe to help flush the contrast out. They inject the glucose then you have to wait 45 minutes - so they give me a bunch of water to drink while I'm waiting, then have me empty my bladder so I can handle laying in the scanner for the next half hour! Sorry if TMI:) Afterward, they also have EVERYONE IN THE BUILDING tell me to drink lots of water and sometimes they give me a water bottle on the way out the door.

For PET/CT I've not had to drink the contrast - although I did for CT only. Not too disappointed on that, since they give "berry smoothie" a bad name.

Also, Stephanie's right - no strenuous exercise the day before and the morning of the scan. This instruction has been down to the level of "don't even talk or walk around while waiting for the isotope to travel around". This is because any movement or inflammation will cause your muscles to to "take up" the contrast. So less easy to get clear images.

Here's hoping that "NOTHING" shows up on the scan.

hutchibk
08-23-2007, 12:34 AM
You need to call the radiology center and tell them to send you or email you EXACT instructions as to diet and timing of meals before the PET. The reason is that you cannot have extra glucose/sugar/sugar producing carbs for 24 hours before the test. The PET is a glucose uptake test, and you want it to be as accurate as possible. Insist upon them giving you written instructions. I find it pretty unbelievable that they didn't give you more info than that.

Yes, I always have to drink about a quart of water before my PET/CT. I always drink a 33 oz bottle of water on the drive there.

Here's some basic helpful info I found online...

Do not eat for at least 4 hours prior:
We recommend that you have nothing to eat or drink for at least 4 hours prior to your test . You may drink water up to 2 hours before your test. Please take all your usual medications.

Diabetic patients will be scheduled at times that will not interfere with their meds and meals. Drink water:
You are encouraged to drink 3-4 glasses of water prior to arriving at Redwood Regional Medical Group

High Protein Diet for 24 hours prior to study: Beginning with breakfast the day before the study, eat a low carbohydrate, high protein diet before your study. Examples include meats, fish, vegetables, and salads. Do not eat pasta, bread, potatoes, or sugar.

Carolyns
08-23-2007, 05:08 AM
I didn't read this (sorry if I missed it), I have been told no coffee for 24 hours prior to the PET CT.

Carolyns

hutchibk
08-23-2007, 08:08 AM
yes, me too. I think for at least 12 hours ahead I have always been told to err towards clear liquids only, and no caffeine, sodas or juices (juice has too much natural sugar, soda of course is caffeine and sugar) - so I stick to water and de-caf unsweetenec iced tea.

DonnaNY
08-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Thank you all for the info. I will let you know how my mom does. God Bless all !

Donna