PDA

View Full Version : Supplements etc.

PinkGirl
08-21-2007, 06:39 AM
I am confused about all the stuff I've heard about that can help prevent or help treatment of cancer. My oncologist has never suggested that I take anything other than calcium and vit. D for my bones. Also recommends a low fat diet with lots of fruits and veggies (which I eat, along with everything else!)

From what I've read, there is evidence that these things do help. I am
wondering why we aren't all prescribed capsules full of olive oil or flax seed oil or oleic acid. No doctor has ever told me to drink green tea or pomegranate tea or to use lots of olive oil. Do doctors not believe this stuff helps?

doh2pa
08-21-2007, 09:51 AM
I think they "think" it may all help but they don't have any good "science" to prove it. At least, that's my onc excuse.

chrisy
08-21-2007, 12:00 PM
I agree, most doctors are not trained in nutrition, and in fact there is "not clear data" regarding this. Actually, this does not mean there is NO data, there is a lot of evidence. Just not your randomized double blind studies.

The only recommendation I have gotten is the classic eat a healthy diet. I think it is up to us to gather the evidence and proceed from there.