PDA

View Full Version : MRI's and metal

PinkGirl
08-19-2007, 06:13 PM
I haven't needed to have an MRI yet but probably will some day.
I have lots of metal in my spine from having a fusion in 1991.

Will I be able to have an MRI? I am hoping not because I am so
claustrophobic. I need an Ativan for a CT scan and bone scan.
Does anyone know???

Marlys
08-19-2007, 06:24 PM
My husband has lots of metal in his back also and when he needs further studies in that area they do a CT scan. Actually it depends on what type metal. It must be non-ferrous for it not to interfere with an MRI. Hopes this helps.
Marlys

PinkGirl
08-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks Marlys
I guess I will have to find out about what's in my back.
I know that the plates are stainless steel but I know
nothing about the ferrous/non-ferrous stuff.
Thanks.

Marlys
08-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Ferrous means containing iron. Most implants these days are titanium (even from 1991). I am a retired operating room nurse. You should be able to get an accurate implant list from the hospital where they were implanted.
Marlys

tousled1
08-20-2007, 05:00 AM
PinkGirl,

I had a cervical spinal fusion and also a lumbar spinal fusion and I have no problem getting MRIs. The metal they use in fusion surgery is titanium (spelling?) You will not have any problem with getting MRIs.

Heidi Bibber
08-20-2007, 03:06 PM
I have learned that most tissue expanders have a magnetic port in order to enable the plastic surgeon to locate the opening when adding the saline solution. When I tried to have a brain MRI, I was told that I could not have MRIs anywhere while I had the expander. Unfortunately, the surgeon who performed the mastectomy and recommended the tissue expander, did not mention the fact that the expander would prevent me from having MRIs. Had I known this, I would have waited with the expansion, particularly being HER2 positive. In retrospect, I think surgeons should give this information routinely prior to surgery. The metal used in most other implants, such has hip replacements, spinal implants etc., is titanium and does not interfer with MRIs.
Heidi

chrisy
08-20-2007, 05:02 PM
don't know about the metal....but if you need meds to keep you sane for a CT and bone scan, you may want to consider it for the MRI as well. If it for your head, you are not "all the way in", but it is really loud - like dueling jackhammers!

Carol H.
08-21-2007, 02:19 PM
I was unable to have a MRI because of a small piece of lead in my iris. They told me the magnetic field would pull the lead out of my eye. I'm thankful that I remembered it was there! Just be sure and tell them about any metal in your body. Better to be safe than sorry. Carol H.

PinkGirl
08-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for your input. I will definitely talk to someone about it if I need an MRI. I was hoping I couldn't have one and would get some other test -- because of my claustrophobia. But I guess I am getting a little ahead of myself here.