PDA

View Full Version : Osteonecrosis suggestions

dchips1
08-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Does anyone have access to the oral maxifacial journal for July there is refence to articles regarding ONJ. Sorry I haven't posted in a while but summer and vacations and too many kids. I have used all my dental insurance for the year, to try and get this crown on, and get rid of the left side gum sores. My teeth on the lower side are loose as well. I have used peridex, closis, biotene, 2 rounds antibiotics, coq10, vit c and kenalog/orabase gel. I have jaw pain that radiates up to my head, so then you worry about more mets, especially now I had to stop herceptin.

If anyone has any natural suggestions, rinses, vitamin combos etc, please help. I was able to maintain my weight on chemo, and thru the radiation, but this is kicking me!!!!!! I have lost around 10-15 pounds, which is worrying me. Has anyone gotten their inurance to pay for hyperbaric tx?

I appreciate all your posts and encougement to others!!!! Stay strong and faithful!!!

Darita

R.B.
08-11-2007, 04:12 PM
As usual this is not advice but information.

There is a significant amount of evidence that the omega threes and particularly EPA / DHA may reduce bone loss in dental conditions.

This is a previous post on the subject of periodontal disease.

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-24978.html

and a more recent one

http://life-extension-drugs.com/fishoil_update.html

"Lipid profiles of disturbed marrow and joint fluid from patients who took statins or dietary fish oil showed an increase in the proportion of unsaturated fatty acids and longer-chain fatty acids relative to pretreatment profiles. The ability to change the amount and character of bone and joint lipids may have major importance for strengthening bone, reducing the severity or preventing osteonecrosis, and enhancing joint lubrication."

You may like to search on this site for posts on balancing the omega threes and sixes. Whilst there is much less research there is good reason to believe that reducing your omega six intake is just as important too. Increasing omega three and reducing six can help reduce the inflammatory "profile" of the body over time. It takes effort and dietary change but is relatively easy.

There is also evidence that DHA omega threes may reduce osteoporosis.

Fish oil is the most easily accessible source of long chain omega threes. Comments as to dosage vary. A trial showed uptake dropped off at two grams of DHA a day, but some suggest higher. (about 3-4 teaspoons of a quality fish oil - please look at the label and check A and D content too).

Flax oil or seed (please see the posts on this site and talk to your onc before deciding which as this is a hotly debated topic too)

CoQ10 also has been suggested to reduce periodontal disease. You will find some comments on CoQ10 here. They also supply at reasonable prices.

http://www.vitacost.com/

Fish oil is a blood thinner and may have side effects for a few so please discuss supplemenation / dietary change with your advisor

RB