PDA

View Full Version : CyberKnife Consult

tousled1
08-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Well, I had my CyberKnife consult yesterday but was too tired to post about it. Today I had my chemo treatment so I think I'm running high on the Decadron premed so please bear with me as I may ramble and skip around. Also my hemoglobin was down to 9.9 so I was barely functioning. I got a Procrit shot today so I'm ready and rearing to go.

At any rate The luck of the Irish is back with me and also I have Brenda's brain met guardian angel on loan for now. I will return it to her soon. I met with radiation oncologist Mark McLaughlin Wednesday afternoon. He's so good looking, as sweet as the day is long, caring, empathic and has great bed side manner, takes his time, explains everything in great detail. He's just the greatest. What more can I ask for? He did my radiation after my bilateral mastectomy. I'm so lucky to have him on my team. Actually, I'm lucky I have the entire team I do. They are moving fast on this brain met and of course my lung mets.

Dr Mark explained to me that the reason the ctscan only showed one blip was that a regular ct takes slices (pictures) every 5mm so my brain met showed up on only one image. Hence the need for the MRI. Also, he told me that if the brain met had been any smaller it would not have showed up at all and I would have had to wait until I developed symtoms in about 8-9 months. The location of the met would affect my left side - control of the leg in particular.

Next step is to get authorization from my insurance and then a consult with a neurosurgeon and then get fitted with the special face mask and then get the CyberKnife procedure. Also I will get another scan done but this one will take slices every mm as the CyberKnife is accurate to within a mm. Dr Mark said that with the mm slices it may show more mets in the brain but they would be extremely small and also could be taken care of by CyberKnife. He siad that all this including the CyberKnife procedure should be done within the next two weeks. The good thing is that I can continue with my regular chemo during the entire process. Also due to the size of the brain met I will only require one treatment. More treatments if by chance they find additional brain mets, which I don't think they will. Gotta keep that positive attitude going.

My next lucky break is that Wellstar Kennestone in GA has the CyberKnife. It's the only facility in GA that has it. Before the CyberKnife you had to have the GammaKnife or Whole Brain Radiation. So you see the luck of the Irish is holding out here. I'll be happy to pass it on once I'm done with it to anyone who needs it. An Kennestone is only a 10 minute drive from my home-- can't beat that and my cancer treatment center is right next door.

All in all the consult went very weel and I am happy with everything. Now all I want is for things to move along quickly which I'm sure they will.

I want to again thank each and everyone of you for your wonderful support while I'm going through all this. I really, truly appreciate the support and encouragement, experiences and just knowing that you are here for me. It means the world to me.. I couldn't get through all this without your amazing help. You are the greatest and I thank you from the bottom of my heart, I really do. I also wish nothing but the best for all of you. together we can fight this fight and get NED. That could be our theme - Let's get NED!

As things get lined up I promise I will keep you informed. thanks again for being here for me.

Chelee
08-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Kate, This Dr. Mark sounds awesome. I wish I had a onc like that. :) Sounds like he has a great plan....one I would feel very confident with. I'm so impressed on how fast they are moving on this...you are in very GOOD HANDS. That is also great to hear how early they caught this met...tiny little thing...easier to blast it and send it out to the twilight zone.

What is really GREAT news is ONLY ONE trt! I'm glad you have such an awesome team that you can trust and count on. It sounds like things are falling into place nicely considering the circumstances. I wish this wasn't happening to you and that you didn't have to go through all this...but at least you can continue on your chemo and you don't have far to go for trt...thats a major plus. You just hang in there and know that we are all here for you. I have been keeping you in my thoughts & prayers. With the attitude you have and that wonderful onc its certainly a winning combination. NED is just around that corner. :)

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

Chelee

Mary Anne in TX
08-10-2007, 03:37 AM
Good Morning Kate!
A million hoorays for your Irish luck! It was so good to wake and find your message and to know, most of all, that you are in such great hands! It matters so much who takes care of us. You hang on to that Irish luck for the next couple of weeks as you walk through this experience. Oh, yes, and carry along all the well wishes and prayers from your Her2 family!
luv, ma

Joe
08-10-2007, 04:35 AM
Cyberknife and Gamma Knife are basicly the same procedure.

Regards
Joe

pattyz
08-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Joe,

While the radiation focally given may be basically the 'same', the experience is VERY DIFFERENT.

Three times I had Linear Accelerator screwed on headframes, (more similar to the Gamma Knife) ,waiting all day from 7am to done at 6pm, with the headframe on, taking pain meds when the 'pin sites' became painful, trying to drink or eat anything with that huge frame on head, trying to 'rest' or get 'comfortable', getting the headframe removed being very painful in itself, the excruciating headache for two hrs after each of the three procedures........

Compared to CyberKnife. Less than an hour to make the mask. Seconds with hot mesh on face.

In at 10:30am, mask tightly fastened down on table, tight on face, an hour for multiple sites treated, out the door at noon. I did this twice, two days apart to address six brain mets.

So, for me personally... I would never say that CyberKnife and Gamma Knife are basically the same procedure. Not even close.

pattyz

Mary Jo
08-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Kate, Kate, Kate.............

YOU are awesome! Truly. An inspiration to us all. Your strength, determination and overall PEACE radiate from your posts.

I thank God for you here and also pray His CONTINUED presence in all you are going through. Of course I know He is and will CONTINUALLY be with you so, I thank Him right now for that.

Take care today - rest easy!!!!!

Sending all my love and prayers,

Mary Jo

lilyecuadorian
08-10-2007, 09:02 AM
thanks for let us know ...everything , I'm checking everyday your post .... cyberknife and novelis ...are almost the same and the diferent with gammaknife ...is #1 is more precise and acurate and more fast ....and there using only five years ago ...gammaknife is being used it for 20 years ago so far ....I have novelis presedure twice and is really easy like cyberknife ......good luck and like my doctor said ...let hope this is the last one ......and like I say let's put this on GOD hands .....He will do it ...for you

chrisy
08-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Well, Kate, is that the decadron talking or do you have a crush on the fabulous Dr. Mark??? He sounds terrific - I'm so glad you have such a competent AND delightful team! Sounds like you and your team are very much on top of things. You are such a strong spirit - I so admire your diligence on this.

Take care
Chris

Joe
08-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Patty,

Christine had Gamma Knife 3 times and all took less than 3 1/2 hours.

Lily,

Gamma Knife has been used for 20 years but the features on the machines are constantly being upgraded and is comparable to Cyberknife.

I am not advocating one over the other but wanted to point out that they both use the same technology

Competition to treat benign and malignant brain lesions, vascular malformations, and functional conditions with stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) has increased dramatically in recent years. All-in-one systems like the Accuray CyberKnife® are aggressively positioning themselves as being comparable to the Leksell Gamma Knife® in effectiveness and efficiency.

Gamma Knife stereotactic radiosurgery is the gold standard for the treatment of intracranial SRS procedures. Its clinical efficacy has been documented across nearly four decades, with more than 350,000 cases treated worldwide providing the data for 2,000+ publications in peer-reviewed medical literature. It is used as the performance metric against which other technologies (such as the Accuray CyberKnife®) are measured. Gamma Knife® has the most accurate dose planning, the most conformal treatment and lowest dose of radiation to normal tissue.

What is critical is the difference in dose outside the target for Gamma Knife® compared to the Accuray CyberKnife®.

Perhaps the easiest way is to compare, point for point, the Gamma Knife® with the Accuray CyberKnife®.

<TABLE id=table37 style="BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px" borderColor=#254b72 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=top width="50%" bgColor=#cccccc>Gamma Knife®

</TH><TH vAlign=top align=left width="50%" bgColor=#cccccc>Accuray CyberKnife®

</TH></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" vAlign=top align=left width="50%" height=9>http://www.sdgkc.com/images/MsSpacer.gif</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none" vAlign=top align=left width="50%" height=9>http://www.sdgkc.com/images/MsSpacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%" bgColor=#e1f0fd height=77>201 source cobalt unit designed exclusively for non-invasive brain surgery</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%" bgColor=#e1f0fd height=77>Single source linear accelerator with robotic arm to compensate for patient movement during treatment; not exclusively used for intracranial SRS</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%" bgColor=#e1f0fd>Radiological accuracy better than 0.3mm</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%" bgColor=#e1f0fd>1 mm accuracy; dose outside the target area is 2-6x greater than with the Gamma Knife®</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%" bgColor=#e1f0fd>Rigid immobilization to prevent head movement using a lightweight stereotactic head frame fixed to the outer skull. Provides exact MR and CT correlation from planning to treatment delivery in 3D</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%" bgColor=#e1f0fd>Non-rigid immobilization reduces head movement by using a thermoplastic face mask that is shrink-wrapped to the table during treatment. Provides relative MR and CT correlation from planning to treatment delivery in 3D. The Accuray CyberKnife® is inherently less accurate since the positioning is optically guided, not head-frame based</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%" bgColor=#e1f0fd>Treatment delivered during one session</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%" bgColor=#e1f0fd>Single or multiple treatments, possibly over a period of days</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%" bgColor=#e1f0fd>Target position is confirmed 10 times per second</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%" bgColor=#e1f0fd>Target position confirmed once every 10 seconds</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

lilyecuadorian
08-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks for all the INF.

tricia keegan
08-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Kate you're being such a brave lady and have such a positive attitude through all this I really admire you and want to wish you ALL the luck of the Irish!!
(Hey you can never have too much of a good thing especially luck!)

Catherine
08-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Kate, Yeah, I kind of thought you were getting a crush on Dr. Mark also. Why not. We all love caring and thorough doctors, and if they are male and good looking all the better.

You are a brave one and we are all behind you.

Luck of the Irish, I have an eighth in me...and I will send my portion on to Georgia to add to your collection.

Catherine

doh2pa
08-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Hi Kate,

I've been thinking of you so much this week, wondering how it is all going. I'm so glad you feel comfortable with cute Dr. Mark! He sounds like a gem. It is so much better when you can see the road ahead and know there is a plan of attack. And attack it is!! So many on this site have done so well before you, I know you will too.

Hang in there,
Donna

dorinda
08-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Kate, Sounds Like You Have A Great Team Over Seeing This Ordeal . It Does Make It Awee Bit Peaceful. A Wee Bit Of Irish Talk For You Lassie. Ha! I To Have Alittle Irish In My Hertiage And I Will Loan It To You Also. I Am Praying For You And I Know All Will Go Well. I Hope The Taxol Treatments Are Not To Bad For You. I Dont Take The Carpolatin (sp.) But The Taxol And Herceptine Are Bearable For Me. Take Care Dorinda

Kim in CA
08-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Kate,

So glad to hear you are moving right along on getting rid of this sneaky little met. I feel it's soooo important to get after them when they are small. We are truly lucky to be living in a time where we have this technology available. You go girl!

Kim

Jean
08-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Kate,
So glad your with Dr. Dreamy! It sounds like you and Dr. Mark have
everything under control...I like that!

Sending you lots of love and prayers for easy treatments days.

Hugs,
Jean

Shell
08-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Kate-

Thank you so much for taking the time to post - I've just finished with the WBR (too many for gamma knofe for me...) so I'm doing the decadron taper currently.

Your doctor sounds phenomenal and I am glad he took the time with you...

Kind regards,