PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Breaet Implant or Not

Barbara
08-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Hi:

I am 62 years old and 3 and one half years out from diagnosis with Stage 2B, Hormone negative, Her2 positive breast cancer. I had one positve node out of thirteen. I am considering a breast implant for reconstruction as at my age (old) it is often the recommended procedure. I was wondering did any of you who had an implant develop lymphedema the first time after an implant?

Barb

Mary Anne in TX
08-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi Barb!
I don't have a clue what to tell you cause I'm anxious to hear the answer also. Implant in all I have considered though. My surgeon couldn't believe I didn't get excited about a tummy tuck when he did surgery! Not sure I want to do anything now! Good luck and please keep us posted. ma

Audrey
08-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi Barb, I had a mastectomy in 2001 with immediate reconstruction with a saline implant. I also had 24 lymph nodes removed, 11 were positive for cancer. Happily, I remain NED today with NO lymphadema after the procedure and no complications from the implant. (I do take care to wear a compression sleeve when flying and avoid heavy lifting, etc.)

naturaleigh
08-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi Barb,

I am due for reconstruction next month. I was told I would not get lymphadema since I had no postive nodes, they only removed 4 or my nodes to test for cancer.

Unfortunately, during my chemo treatment and taxol treatment I noticed swelling in my hands and ankles. Most of the swelling in my ankles and all of the swelling in the non-effected arm has ceased. I now do have lymphadema in the affected arm.

I asked my plastic surgeon if reconstruction would make the lymphadema worse and he said No. I know two women that have had reconstruction and neither of them have lymphadema.

I think everyone is different and our bodies act differently, but from what I heard is reconstruction will not cause lymphadema.

Anita

Esther
08-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Barbara, I have an implant and have never developed lymphedema. The implant has been there for 5 years now.

And I'm hard on using my arm, I rock climb, play golf and water-ski and have never had a problem with swelling.

Barbara
08-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Everyone:

Thanks for your replies it helps me in my decision process. I think I will go forward. I plan to have some work done on my old acne scars at the same time (mini face lift) so maybe I will feel even better about myself. My acne scars have always bothered me and dermabrasion and face laser resurfacing have only resulted in limited improvement. Because the breast implant is insurance covered I will get a discount on the OP surgery center and anesthesia fees for the elective part of my surgery.

Barb