PDA

View Full Version : Scans tomorrow; scared but want to be brave

Odette
08-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Friends,

I'd love to hear your opinions! Who else in the world can understand how devastated I can be when I try to plan just a little bit for the future and I am facing the totally unknown.

Exactly a month ago my scans showed two, possibly three small spots on my lungs and enlarged lymph nodes in the chest.

This was while I have been ned only since March. I had my stage IV diagnosis in January after neoajuvant chemo and surgery so now I was on Tykerb and Xeloda as a preventative (per recommendation second opinion onc at Memorial Sloan Kettering) since May.

After this bad scan, a month ago my local oncologist suggested that we give Tykerb and Xeloda another month to work - so that we don't give up on them at the first sign of progression. He did not seem overly optimistic about T/X working for me but I was happy to go along with his suggestion hanging on to the hope that maybe they will still work.
Tomorrow is the moment of truth well, probably on Tuesday when I pick up my scans. I don't even dare to hope. Really: "stable" would be great! "Little progression" okay. I'm scared that it'll be a lot of progression and more new mets. I also barely can stand the idea of another harsh chemo. I finished the last one in October. (Xeloda and Tykerb were very doable for me)

I do want to be brave and at least go down fighting. I'm (re)reading For Whom the Bell Tolls. Robert Jordan gives me courage, he keeps working on what he set out to do, enjoys his days (well and nights too) he has great affection for the people he meets, even though he knows how exactly the odds are against him.
After my borderline stage IV diagnosis last May I thought it was the end of my life. This past year so much of my world has collapsed, I was really hoping just for a couple good months after my surgery, so I have time and energy to get my thoughts organized and things in order - it was not meant to be.

It gives me hope how all of you warrior sisters keep on fighting and eventually this nasty disease will go down in history together with the plague, small pox, polio and others.

With hope and love,

Odette

lexigirl
08-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Dear Odette,

Saying a prayer for comfort during this anxious time. I am praying that the Tykerb and Xeloda have done the trick to either completely destroy all the cancerous cells or at least stabalize the activity. Stable sounds like it would be very good.

Please know that I am thinking of you and lifting you in prayer.

Hugs,
Lexi

kareneg
08-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Dear Odette.

I sure know how you feel. If there is one thing this beast has taught me is that I can't plan anything. You just have to live each day to the fullest a lot easier said than done. I pray that you have a good scan and that this treatment is working. Please let us know how you make out. Keep strong and never give up that is one thing the beast can't take from us! All my best.

tousled1
08-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Odette,

I know exactly how you feel. I was stage IIIc and finished my herceptin the end of April and in July I developed mets. This is a dreadful disease! Try not to worry - easier said than done -- about the scan. If the treatment is not working there are many other options available. Keep the faith and keep fighting. We're all in this together.

suzan w
08-06-2007, 05:36 AM
Dear Odette, You are not alone as you go for your scans! We are all in your corner, slugging it out!!! KAPOW!!! Stay strong!!! Prayers headed your way from the Pacific Northwest!

Mary Jo
08-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Dear Odette,

Sending love, hugs and a prayer for the anxious time you are going through.

I pray the treatment is doing it's job.

Mary Jo

caya
08-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Dear Odette,

Just to let you know that I'm sending positive vibes your way and praying that the scans have good results.
All the best for a complete recovery,
caya in Canada

Odette
08-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Thank you friends for you wonderful notes!

It helped getting through my day. I'm at the library now, this morn I dumped a full cup of coffee on my keyboard as I was positioning the cup on a sheet of paper that was sitting on a pile of books. As it turned out the paper was hanging o v e r the side of the books. Splash - oops. At least it was cold coffee not hot!

So I think I'm ordering new apple keyboard today. I was going to upload a picture of myself for all of you when this happened. I promise I'll still do that ASAP.

So I had the CT the bone and an ultrasound of the neck.
Tomorrow will be easier, I'm working till 5 then I'll stop by and hope to pick up my reports. Then I'll be here writing to you.

When last time I had a scan they had a terrible time getting to my veins for the contrast for the CT. So yesterday I went back and read a couple of discussions about IVs and there I happened upon Sandy's note: she went and got her experienced chemo nurse start her IV which the scan technician used for the contrast and the nuclear trace for the scans.

I did the same today! The lovely nurse I found did not mind it a bit and she got a good return already by the second try!

Thank you Laura (the nurse) and THANK YOU SANDY! (over space and time and dimensions) And thank you Lexi, Karen, Kate, Susan, Mary Jo, and Caya for the encuaraging words and prayers!

Please keep it up for me! Do I dare to hope?

xoxo

Odette

Gerri
08-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Odette,

HOPE is what gets us up each morning and keeps us going through the day. Never, ever give up.

HOPING for good news.

sassy
08-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Always Hope. Keeping you in my prayers.
________
MARIJUANA CARD (http://medicalmarijuanacard.info)

lexigirl
08-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Odette,Yes Sister, always remain hopeful. Hugs,Lexi

Sheila
08-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Odette
I am so glad today is behind you, and saying prayers for good results from the scans...it is such a scary time for all of us.....sleep well tonight.