PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine on my shoulders makes me healthy...

hutchibk
08-04-2007, 11:30 PM
As we have learned, vitamin D is critical in the fight!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article2195614.ece

Chelee
08-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Since I live in sunny CA I get more then my share of vitamin D. I do use sunscreen to prevent skin cancer... but one thing I have *never* lacked in is getting enough sunshine. I was just outside watching the dogs swim while I soaked up my share of vitamin D today. At least I know I didn't get bc from lack of sun. :)

Chelee

Mary Jo
08-05-2007, 09:18 AM
On that note Chelee, I have something else to add. I, too, got plenty of Vit. D (sunshine) before breast cancer. I was/am an avid powerwalker/jogger (4 - 6 miles per day) and prefer outside WAY better than inside whenever possible. And yes, breast cancer was part of my life. (I remember often thinking to myself, after my diagnosis, "a lot of good all that exercise did me") But, I read somewhere that when women were tested for Vitamin D in their bodies after a breast cancer diagnosis the women with more Vitamin D in their bodies often times did not have mets versus the women with less Vitamin D. So, although I still got breast cancer after all the exercise I did, just maybe all that Vitamin D (sunshine) did help.

So soak up the sunshine ladies (and gentlemen) ~ it surely can't hurt.

Mary Jo

Donna
08-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Dear Brenda,

Nothing better than getting outside and getting some sun. I have a gorgeous "yard" and nothing makes me happier than being out there in the garden in the sun. I think just the endorphins pumping from exercise or just reveling in the beauty of the outdoors must potentiate the vitamin D - at least that's what I would like to think.

Have a great day!

Donna