PDA

View Full Version : Lump after a Mastectomy--Help?

weezie1053
07-27-2007, 03:15 PM
In Sept 06, I had a mastectomy followed by resconstructive surgery (implant). Had mammo in May followed by reconstruction (implant). Last night I discovered a lump below the scar of this same breast towards the right side. I am hoping it is an imperfect reconstructive surgery, and I have a lumpy breast. I know this sounds like a dumb question, but is it possible to have a second tumor in the same breast after a mastectomy? I called my Onc today, and he is scheduling me for a MRI which they had previously planned to do in Nov or Dec. I haven't told my hubby, and I am trying to poo poo this until I have the MRI. My Onc is on vacation next week; however, he advised me to call him immediately if I noticed it getting any larger.

I thought I had read where this is possible, but I don't know.

Thank you for your comments.

suzan w
07-27-2007, 04:19 PM
you didn't mention how big the lump is...i have had a few "lump scares" since my bi lateral mast. One lump turned out to be a stitch that never dissolved. Another turned out to be a pimple/cyst. I did not have any reconstruction and have a bumpy chest area now. I can feel/see my ribs! It has been 2 years and I have regained alot of muscle tone there but still am always finding things that do not look right. Hope yours turns out to be nothing!!!

Alice
07-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Yes it is possible to have a lump on the mastectomy side. As much as the surgeon tries, they are not able to remove all of the breast tissue. This being said, I just saw my surgeon last week for the same reason. I had an ultrasound and it turned out to be normal tissue. The surgeon explained that scar tissue can buid up around where they have to tie off ligatures when they do the lymphadenectomy. It is always best to have them check it out though, if it were something, it is best to catch it early. There can be local recurrances that can be taken care of reasonably easily.
Let us know how it comes out.
Alice

sarah
07-30-2007, 09:13 AM
yes it is very possible. I had lumps twice. the first time they took it out, they said it was benign. the second time it came back, the lump was benign but it was surrounded by microscopic cancer cells (impossible to see on mammos, echos - MRI showed some inflammation but wasn't conclusive) . I'd get it biopsied but I wasn't lucky so tend not to trust any tests except the cut and check ones.
Good luck it could very well be nothing but be sure.
sarah

weezie1053
08-01-2007, 04:05 PM
MRI is scheduled for Thur, Aug 2. I am thinking positive thoughts..like scar tissue! Thank you for your feedback. I will let you know the outcome.

lexigirl
08-01-2007, 06:18 PM
Weezie,

Saying a prayer for less anxiety as your scan approaches. No cancer only scar tissue allowed!

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

DonnaD
08-01-2007, 07:12 PM
I'll be thinking and praying for you tomorrow. We'll accept scar tissue!

Donna

Bev
08-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Hoping for scar tissue. If you have any nodes left there you could be feeling them too. Good luck, BB