PDA

View Full Version : Need Encouragement

DEBBIE S
07-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi Everyone, I just got news the other day that the regiment I started again back in April is not working .... My most recent Pet Scan showed I have 20 or more nodules in both lungs and an area in my right axillary ...
and of course the cluster in my pec area is still there ... I will start back on the harsher chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin with Hercp next week and do this every 3 weeks and get another pet scan after about 4 treatments...
I know many on this site have had met to their lungs but I find it much
more bothersome than other areas ... I know that this is just another area that cancer spreads to but I think because I have lost both of my parents to " Lung Cancer " (not breast) it is more scary .... I know many here have done treatments that were very successful in the lungs and I just need to stay positive..... I also want to say I vey much like the way
the site looks now ... Joe has done a Great Job .... I just wanted to share
this since I know this group of people are so caring and can always lift ones spirit ...

God Bless,

Debbie

doh2pa
07-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi Debbie,

I was reading your history and wondering why your onc has not suggested Tykerb/Xeloda. I started this regimen back in May for lung and liver mets and have had amazing results. After just 6 week, my lung mets were gone and liver mets are half the size. I also find this the easiest regimen I have ever been on - little or no side effects.

Donna

Adriana Mangus
07-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi Donna:

Did you become resistance to herceptin, or just wanted to try a better "cocktail" for the mets. I suggested to my onc this combo you are on and he believes that I should continue on Herceptin until I developed resistance, since it's such a wonderful drug. I "ony" have mets to rt lung-for now- keeping an eye on the brain for the moment- have a MRI brain on 7-31-07. I appreciate a response. Thank you.

Believe51
07-27-2007, 10:31 AM
It is my husband who has Stage IV Inflammatory HER2+ breast cancer, he has mets to all bones and now the brain. I cannot offer any advice about the lung issues you are having but I can keep you in our prayers.

After whole brain and pelvis radiation he shall be scanned in case we need the gamma knife procedure, then it is off to Tykerb/Xeloda, as Donna has mentioned she is on. This combination has helped many of my friends on the site and directly in my life. Just a thought to suggest to you and your dooctor.

Many women here have had lung mets and I know they can give you more support than I, but I had to reply to you because I have heard that worry in my sweet husbands voice. What I do know is the feelings that you are sharing (especially because of your parents histories), even though I am not the one ill. You have come to the right place for feedback, prayers and the support you so much need right now.

I am going to include you in those prayers and positive vibes will follow. Keep the faith as much as you can through this new road of your journey, we shall be right here for anything you may need!!

Waiting For A Miracle....and commanding one soon!!!>>Believe51

tousled1
07-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Debbie,

I couldn't agree with you more about lung mets being very scary. I was just diagnosed with lung mets and had my first treatment today. I'm getting Herceptin weekly and Taxol/Carboplatin weekly (3 weeks on 1 week off). I feel good other than being extremely tired but I think that's from the premeds and the fact that my hemoglobin was down again. I will have a scan done in 8 weeks to check how the treatment is working. If it is working, we'll stay on this regime. If it's not, then we'll try something else but I'm not sure what. I don't really want to think that this regime will not work.

All I can say is to try not to worry (easier said than done) and try and think positive. There are many women here who have had lung mets and are doing fine.

We are in this fight together and we will win!

lexigirl
07-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Debbie,

I haven't been diagnosed w/ lung mets. There seems to be some other combos that may knock this cancer on its butt. Hang in there.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

Lolly
07-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Debbie, I know it's discouraging when you have to switch treatments, but the TCH is a very strong combo. Hopefully you will be able to get back to maintenance Herceptin after you get these lung mets under control. Remember that Tykerb is waiting in the wings if you need it, but for now concentrate on TCH doing it's work and try to stay strong. I have a chemo buddy with lung mets who's done very well with various chemo combos added to her regular Herceptin as needed.

<3 Lolly

CLTann
07-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Just in case you may not be fully aware, lung mets from breast cancer are very much different from lung cancer. The mortality rate of lung cancer is very high but that of breast mets is much much lower. Lung mets are treatable as evidence from many ladies on this forum. Therefore, you case is totally different from those of your parents. Stay positive, the strong chemo combinations plus herceptin will be the magic bullets for you. Good luck.

Kathy S in Tokyo
07-29-2007, 04:50 AM
Breast cancer in your lungs is different from lung cancer (even if we all agree that neither is particularly welcome!). I'm on weekly Herceptin and 3weeks on and one week off of Taxol for a while for my lung mets. I had a CT scan last Tuesday before my IV and will see and discuss the results this Tuesday. I have a feeling that they'll be good because my oncologist usually calls if he thinks we need to change the regime instead of waiting a few days for my next scheduled visit and I didn't get any calls last week. He encourages me with the wide array of therapies that are available should I reach my limit with the Taxol. I hope that your new regime shrinks the mets so the Herceptin maintenance can keep you clear.

Hugs,