PDA

View Full Version : Tykerb for Stage IIIc?

Connie Jean
07-05-2007, 09:31 PM
My onc told me this week that he would recommend Tykerb for me now, in place of the Herceptin I have been on for the past 18 months. My onc says it inhibits the crosstalk between HER1 and Her2. But my insurance will not cover it and it is $9000/month. He will keep me on Herceptin until the end of this year and then decide what to do. Are any of you Stage IIIers on Tykerb?

saleboat
07-06-2007, 05:39 AM
Hi-- I haven't been offered Tykerb. I know there are others who are Stage III who have been pursuing this with their Oncs. Me, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that I'll never need it.

Good luck.

Jen

Rupali
07-06-2007, 06:53 AM
Hi Connie,
I am stage 3 and I have been pursuing with my onc for Tykerb. FInally I got a prescription from the onc. The insurance denied it and the cost os going to run at 3100 USD per month.
My plan is to go for 6 months of Tykerb and 3 monthly dose of Herceptin as there is pre clinical data that shows Herceptin and Tykerb together have synergistic effect.
I know another member on this board could get it approved by insurance when the onc wrote a letter of neccisity.

Rupali

Connie Jean
07-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi Rupal,
Thanks for your reply. It gives me some encouragement. I have written GSK and they have no options for me. I plan on calling them also.
What is the preclinical data you are referring to? My onc said he would not give it at the same time with Herceptin.
Are you on it now paying out of pocket? What area of the country do you live in? I'm interested in why I was quoted the $9000 figure and you were given $3100.

Connie

Rupali
07-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Hi Connie,
I have still not started Tykerb. I got the 3100 price tag when I had caled GSK around 2 months back. ALso on this site some ladies had quoted similar prices.
9000 is too high and there is some confusion. Is that the price for 3 months of Tykerb?

Connie Jean
07-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi Rupali,

My oncologist quoted my the $9000 as price per month. I emailed GSK, and they replied saying they couldn't help me. I will call them next week.

Connie

Rupali
07-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Hi Connie,
I just got a call from Tykerb cares and they confirmed the price is USD 3100 per month and no Patient Assistance Programme is availble for STage 3's and most insurances will deny it.
So you will have to pay it out of pocket.
Regards,
Rupali

Rupali
07-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi Connie,
Tykerb cares called me today that the maximum price of one month supply of Tykerb cannot be more than USD 3625 and lowst USD 2900
SO you need to check why your onc said 9000
Regards,
Rupali

Connie Jean
07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi Rupali,
I'm definitely checking with my oncologist about the discrepancy in numbers. I also will followup with Tykerb cares. Thanks SO MUCH for your help and information. My husband and I think $3000 a month sounds like a bargain compared to the $9000 number. Neither of which are we able to pay. I still want to know if there are any stage IIIers on Tykerb now, even with having to pay out-of-pocket.
Connie

jojo
07-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Ask Michele U, from this message board, about getting some 800 phone numbers. Some organizations would be willing to help some patients with their fiances on purchasing Tykerb. Best luck to you!

chrisy
07-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Following on Jojo's post, MicheleU is stage III and is/was on Tykerb.