PDA

View Full Version : MRI Update---Brain mets

Esther
06-20-2007, 06:46 PM
I went in to Cedars-Sinai today for my first MRI post my March 5 Gamma Knife for a 4mm lesion in my frontal lobe, and fractionated radiation treatments that ended April 15 for a 1mm lesion in my brain stem, as well as the surgery on March 7 to remove a lesion in my cerebellum.

Whew....I was ready for some good news, though not so sure what to expect as the X-Knife I had last year on the lesion on my cerebellum did not work, making surgery necessary this year.

I just received a call from the neuro-surgeons office, the lesion on my frontal lobe is gone! The lesion on my brain stem is gone! The area around my surgery in the cerebellum shows all healthy tissue, and no new lesions anywhere!

I wonder if the Tykerb gave the treatments a kick to produce better results so quickly!!! I am so excited, this is beyond what I was hoping for! So for now, my brain mets are NED!!!! Yahoo!!!

I am dancing and singing in Southern California

tousled1
06-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Esther,

That is the best news I've heard for a long time. Congratulatins! Celebrate, celebrate, celebrate!

Bev
06-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Amazing! I'm happy for you. Just keep on celebrating. Bev

Carolyns
06-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi Esther,

Yahoo!!!! That is just terrific news! I am so happy for you.

Love, Hope, and Peace,

Carolyns

MichelleH
06-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Congratulations! You are amazing, you give people like myself hope and the will to keep fighting!
May I ask are you on Herceptin along with Tykerb/Xeloda?

Go celebrate, you deserve it!
Love,
Michelle

Vanessa
06-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Great news!!!!

Odette
06-20-2007, 08:35 PM
Esther,

I was really worried as I opened your thread, thinking oh no, she may have progression, what then?

Now this is the best news! I have tears in my eyes with happiness.

Keep dancing with Ned Esther!
I'll celebrate with a dance too!

Odette

Esther
06-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Michelle, I was on Tykerb, Xeloda and Herceptin for the first 6 weeks I was on Tykerb. I had been on Herceptin for 3 1/2 years. After we got the initial results of my CA 27-29, which plummeted down from 390 to 90, my onc decided to drop the Herceptin.

His thinking was that it would be easier on my heart that way. I was hesitant to drop the herceptin, but decided to see what happened. So far the Tykerb/Xeloda combination is still working great.

Thanks Odette and everyone! I had tears of joy and happiness when I got off the phone this evening. I love the fact that Cedars does not make me wait for results, but gets me the MRI results within hours of the test.

We're all thinking it's the Tykerb making the difference. The neurosurgeon was recommending WBR in March in addition to the Gamma Knife and fractionated rads, because I had 2 new lesions show up within a month of each other, but I advocated for giving the Tykerb a chance. I'm so glad I did!!!

Adriana Mangus
06-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Dear Esther:

I'm so happy that am crying of joy for you ; for we need to hear news like yours more often. You did listen to your instincts
regarding which treatment to follow, it paid off big time.

Thank you Lord for keeping Esther near your heart, please continue showering her with your infinite Mercy, Love and Compassion.

Can't wait to meet you @ the Carlsbad Inn, we'll celebrate BIG!!!

Love,

Addie

Adriana Mangus
06-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Dear Michelle:

I will definitely keep you in my prayers, you are so young!!
Please take care of yourself. What veggies/fruits do you grow @ home?

My husband is from Flint, (born in Grand Blanc), he tells me stories about his mother growing strawberries, corn, potatoes, etc. He has fond memories of picking from the vast garden his own corn for dinner, or fruit for bkfst. So cool....!

StephN
06-20-2007, 09:58 PM
DEar Esther -
I was SO OVERJOYED to read your good news. And I also vote for not making patients wait for their results - whether good or not so good.

You have shown yourself to be a responder to certain drugs when your cancer is running rampent. What a great result you have had from the Tykerb as well. You had a good result from a Xeloda combination in the past and I had every reason to believe that it would work this time as well.

Go for a spin in your red car and wear red as well! Then don't forget that bucket of paint for the town!

chrisy
06-20-2007, 10:19 PM
OH MY GOSH!!!!!
What fantastic news! I can't hear you dancing and singing out because MY woo-hooing over your good news is drowning it out! What a fabulous turnaround from last year. You were so ready for some good news - and this just couldn't be better! I'm so happy for you. And Michelle is right - hearing good news like this gives us all hope. Thank you so much for sharing!

Woo hoo woo hoo
love chris

Lala
06-21-2007, 01:46 AM
Esther

I am So Happy for you! That is Wonderful News!

Dance Sister Dance!!

Hugs to you

saleboat
06-21-2007, 03:21 AM
What a relief-- so happy for your good news. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Jen

dhealey
06-21-2007, 04:46 AM
what wonderful news! Gives the rest of us great hope. Keep on fighting!
Dhealey in N.C.

MichelleH
06-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Esther,
My doc took me off of Herceptin before starting Tykerb/Xeloda. He said all three had too many side effects. I'm guessing the heart thing was his big concern. I was hoping to stay on the Herceptin even though it only worked on the lymph nodes in the chest, it gave me back my voice and took away the cough. Hopefully the Tykerb/ Xeloda will work on everything.
Again, I'm so happy for you on your report!
Hugs
Michelle

Adriana, I sent you a privite message, nothing too private, just don't want to take away from Esther's thunder.

Joy
06-21-2007, 08:40 AM
for you and your news!!! What a great phone call, what a great day for you and thank you for sharing all of this with us as it really, really helps!!!! You are awesome!

kacey
06-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Ester---dance, sing and celebrate!!!I was nervous about opening your post, but what sensational news. You DO give us all hope so thanks for sharing. Love and prayers Kacey

Chelee
06-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Esther, I am beyond THRILLED for you! That is such exciting news. You couldn't possible ask for better results then that. I love hearing things like this because it gives us all so much hope and encouragment which you know we all need.
I don't know if the Tykerb helped...but it sure didn't hurt. lol Something worked rather well. I sure hope you were sitting down when that call came in...could of been dangerous if you were standing up. And since you live in Southern California NOW I know why the ground WAS rocking and rolling. At first I thought it was just a earthquake...but it was no doubt you jumping up and down dancing & singing. That explains that! :) LOL Wooo Hooo...way to go girl.

Big Congratulations! This is truly something to CELEBRATE about. What are you waiting for...get going...you have places to go, people to see & LOTS of fun to be had.

Chelee

hutchibk
06-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Wonderful news Esther! I advocated also to give Tykerb/Xeloda a chance before we did any type of radiation, especially WBR. We did my MRI 2 weeks ago (6 weeks after starting Ty/Xel) and there were NO NEW punctates, none of the existing spots we knew about had grown, and one of the 9mm spots (in the cerebellum) was less enhanced, indicating that maybe it is disolving away. So, we have decided that the Ty/Xel deserves more of a chance to see what it can do before we do any kind of rads, even targeted. We will scan again in 6 weeks. Yippee for Ty/Xel!!

Ceesun
06-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Esther_ I share in your joy-wonderful news........take a few deep breathes then celebrate!! Ceesun Cathy

SoCalGal
06-21-2007, 10:11 PM
This is great news. Thanks for sharing - you give so much hope to all. I wish I had met you for lunch - I live about 5 minutes from Cedars:)
Flori

Esther
06-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Flori I go to Cedars about every 2-3 months for follow-ups. We'll have to plan to meet for lunch sometime, it would be lovely to meet you!

Lolly
06-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Esther, I just tuned in and saw your update; WHOOHOOO!!!!!
I am thrilled for you, and what hope you offer for the rest of us!

<3 Lolly

mamacze
06-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Dear Esther
You have been an ol' buddy on these boards for a long time and nothing warms my heart more than to share such joy (with abandon!) over such good news! What could be better than a drug that works on these stubborn, pig headed mets! And better yet, you share your good news.
Thank you and keep on dancin'!
Love Kim from CT

Sheila
06-24-2007, 05:20 AM
Esther
You must be elated...we all are.....gooodnews trickles to all of us and overwhelms us.....sounds like the Tykerb/Xeloda is the perfect combo for you....perfect response....what a gift! We are so happy for you.....

GemmaG
06-24-2007, 07:57 AM
I am so happy to hear this super wonderful news. My next CT scan and MRI is set next month. I'm hoping to spread the same good news.
Let's celebrate life! Let's all dance! I will raise my glass to you when I have my glass of red wine tonight. Cheers!!!

My love to you all.

Hugs,
G

julierene
06-27-2007, 06:12 AM
Wow! Wow! Wow! Have a dance with Ned for me! :P