PDA

View Full Version : My Verdict: Herceptin , Abraxane, Avastin Trial

Sheila
06-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Just came from the oncologists office and she has decided to forego Metronomic Chemo and place me in a trial using Abraxane/Avastin with Herceptin....
I will get Abraxane weekly, 3 on, 1 off
Herceptin every 3 weeks
Avastin every other week

Wondering if anyone else has had this combo...I had my Herceptin today, but must wait for insurance approval before the Abraxane/Avastin, which I get Thursday...sounds like a lot of trips to Chicago which I don't relish, but I am hoping it will kick butt on the nodes better than the Xeloda.

Mary Anne in TX
06-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Cheering for the butt kicking from Texas for you! mary anne

chrisy
06-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Sheila, you will need a social secretary to keep track of those appointments! I guess the main thing is it sounds like you will be going weekly - bummer since I know how nice the 3 week break is! But hopefully this will be a really effective combo. I know you have great confidence in your onc, and rightly so. Keep us posted (I know you will!)

Chris

StephN
06-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Go get those nodes! Looks like you have some real "fire power" now.

I have a friend who was put on Abraxane and then added Avastin for very stubborn nodes like you have. She was taken OFF Herceptin as they thought it was no longer working.

The Abraxane was tolerable for a while but when the Avastin was added, her blood pressure took off. She was on weekly, but had to skip some to try and see if new blood pressure meds would work. It got a bit hairy for a while.

However, the good news is that the nodes are several months in remission, but she is now being radiated for a couple of bone mets. Her blood pressure has settled, but she still needs meds.

She wanted Tykerb, but had never had a Taxane, so went the Abraxane route. She also did not lose her hair.

Hope you have an easier time with that combo - just be aware of your blood pressure. At least the hand-foot agony will cease!

Mary Jo
06-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Hi Sheila,

I know nothing about your chemo combo BUT I do know you ~ well, sort of http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif and just wanted to say that I just said a prayer and asked God to let this combo be the one for you. Let it work for you and to keep your body protected from any nasty side effects but to allow the "combo" to do it's butt kicking. I asked all this in our loving Jesus' name! For you dear friend. Amen!!!!

I'll be anxious for an update.

Hugs from Sheboygan.

Mary Jo

tousled1
06-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Sheila,

I'm hoping that this combo will put the nodes in their place. From what I've read, Abraxane has less side effects than the other Taxane drugs. I know the trips to the city will be very tiring. Please take care of yourself. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Jean
06-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Shiela,

Sounds like your coming in with guns blasting...go get those nodes.
Weekly maybe challenging but with your drive and attitude you will
do it in style.

Best of Luck!
Hugs,
Jean

rinaina
06-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Here's to kicking those node's butts! Hope this is the answer to the problem and that you tolerate the treatments well. Will be praying for you.

Chelee
06-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Shelia, That sounds like a good combo to whip those nodes into the twilight zone. :) I feel for you having to drive that far so often...can you tell your oncologist that you have better insurance now & it requires them to make house calls. LOL (What a dream that would be.) They sure know how to keep you busy...but in the end I am sure its going to be well worth it. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for fantastic results.

Chelee

Bev
06-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Good luck Sheila. I.m glad your onc is on the lookout for new ways to kick butt. Bev

Sheila
06-12-2007, 09:15 AM
I think you have come up on something Rina

oncologists, or at least the onc. nurses who could travel to our homes to administer chemo....I wouldn't even have to spend the time to get dressed...I could wear my PJ's, watch TV or be on Her2 support.....WOW, what a thought!

tousled1
06-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Sheila,

My son had leukmia and after he was released from the hosital afte his inital dagnosis and treatment, he was able to have a nurse come to his home and administer his chemo. She stayed for the entire infusion since my son seemed to deveop very high fevers with each infusion. He would envariably end up in the hospital with each infusion.

Since you don't have the problems he did with his infusions, I woud check with your insurance company and see if you would be able to have a nurse come to your home to administer your infusions. It sure would save a lot of driving tme.

Sheila
06-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Kate

They would laugh if I asked for that...but the idea is nice. I'll just out up with Chicago traffic a little extra....hey, I'll get to know all the truckers on the road!

Chelee
06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Shelia, I am glad you liked my idea...its one I thought of while I was in active trt of TCH & had to go *weekly* for my herceptin. My cancer center is close unlike yours...but it still got old and very tiring going back and forth. So many visits counting times for labs, neulastic, scans, etc. I remember telling my husband I wish this was the good OLD days when the doctor's made house calls. :) Frankly I think its a great idea since we are the ones not feeling good during trt. Its easier for the chemo nurses to run to our houses. Plus it would free up all the chemo rooms. :) (I don't think the insurance companies would buy it though.) But its sure a NICE thought. haha

Chelee