PDA

View Full Version : Turning the corner!

Muldoonmom
06-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm so happy to report that the side effects of Tykerb are finally starting to abate. The first time I started Tykerb in mid-April, my onc gave me my 5th Taxotere tx around day 5 and I crashed and burned with uncontrollable diarrhea and a terrible rash with itching. I went off everything for nearly 3 weeks and restarted the Tykerb almost 3 weeks ago with Herceptin only. Again, I had diarrhea but I could control it with Lomotil. The rash was very bad again - mostly on my chest this time- and it was terribly itchy. He gave me Periactin which helped considerably with the itch. Finally, yesterday I began to see the rash clearing up. I have only a few new pimples and the old ones are healing. And the itch is gone! Ditto for the diarrhea.
I am so relieved! My husband told me that he was giving me one more week and then he was going to throw away the pills (Tykerb) if I wasn't getting used to the drug. WHEW!!!!! Looks like I'll be fine staying on it for the long haul. After waiting so long for Tykerb to become available, I so want to be able to take it.
My bone pain is almost completely gone. I won't have another PET/CT for another 2 months and I'm anxious to see the results. Especially since my last PET in late May showed some progression in lymph nodes and possibly something in either the adrenal gland or diaphragm.
I hope that this gives some comfort to others who are struggling through the first few weeks on Tykerb. Looks like the side effects, which of course vary by the individual, do eventually subside!

Carolyns
06-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Hi Debbie,

I am so glad to hear your good news. Bone pain gone = great news.

Enjoy your two months between scans especially since you are feeling so much better. It sounds like you have made real progress.

Take care,

Carolyn

chrisy
06-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Hi Debbie,

Sounds like you had a wild ride. Glad to hear things are settling down - now let's have that Tykerb kick the cancer's butt instead of yours! Keep us posted on how you are doing with the Tykerb and Herceptin (I think that's what you're on now!)

Muldoonmom
06-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi Chris,
It just feels so good to feel good again! I was getting discouraged because if I couldn't handle the tykerb/herceptin combo, I'm not sure what options I still had. I've been on so many chemos over the past 8 years and this was the first time in 5 years that I've been off any cytoxic agents. (I think I said that correctly.)
Thanks for you support! I will keep you all posted as this phase of the journey continues. I have to say that I am feeling much more optimistic.

Andi
06-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Debbie - I'm glad to hear things are working for you. With the kind of rash you had, your response should be very good with they Tykerb.

Lolly
06-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Debbie, I'm so glad for you that the worst of the side effects are clearing up! My rash is almost gone also, after 5 weeks, and I have only an occasional bout of diarreah.
And whew! on the bone pain, keep us posted on the scan results.

<3 Lolly